I cast a blast spell, you say: how high?

Particle_Man

Explorer
webrunner said:
In 99% of cases the dragon will be:
1) in ranged range
2) either "in melee range" or "not in melee range" which is somehing the DM pretty much can just decide.

The dragon is as high is it needs to be given what's going on. Close enough to the ground to do it's melee attack, or close enough to the ground to do it's breath weapon, or far enough away to be safe from melee. You're not supposed to break out the vertical-marker d4s every time someone has wings.

In the same spirit, the blasts and bursts being "indefinitely high" would work the same way.

Player: How high is the dragon?
DM: High enough.
Player: I cast a blast spell on him!
DM: How high does the blast spell go?
Player: High enough.

LokiDR

First Post
Unless it's a magical dagger. In which case it instantly teleports back to the monster's hand as a free action right after it throws it.

Needless to say, in 4E it's very difficult to put magical items down.
I didn't realize that. I did not specify, however, how many times the monster with 1 dagger can throw it.;)

Ganadai

First Post
After reading this thread I imagine the 4E world looking like the original Mario Brothers game, or maybe it's more like Doom. Either way the entire world is made of cubes.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Why would a 4x4x4 cube need to penetrate the plane of the ground, instead of, say, resting on it?

Because you are not adjacent to a square that high off the ground.

Think of the 3D blast as a cylinder, and you are stuck on one end of it in the dead center.

LokiDR

First Post
There is no requirement that a blast be oriented in any specific way to the character creating it, correct? The only requirement is that the blast be adjacent to you, and that means any connecting square.

Remove ads