D&D General I Do Declare! Do you? (POLL)

Does your table use a declaration phase?

• Our table declares actions before each round begins.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Our table didn't before, but now we do declare actions.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Our table declared actions before, but now we don't.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Our table never declares actions until your turn comes.

Votes: 145 89.0%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So, another interest of mine has popped up...

Several features seem dependent on intentions for the round, so I am wondering if people still use a declaration phase or not?

Does your table use a declaration phase?
Does the DM ask what everyone is doing before starting the turn (or rolling initiative if you re-roll each round)?
Maybe you used to but don't anymore?
Maybe you didn't but now you do?

Once again, thanks to all who participate!

For our table, we did initative each round and declared intentions (attack, spell, movement, etc) before rolling. We could change our actions to Dodge or Disengage as default, but that was it once initiative was rolled. Just recently we changed it to roll-and-repeat, and now the DM lets us choose our actions when our turn arrives.

It works fine, is faster, and the DM doesn't have to remember who is doing what. If you have a story to share, please do.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I have never run or played any rpg where we actually did a declaration phase, not even in systems that normally call for it. I certainly wouldn't add one in to 5e; I don't think it adds much to the game. The closest I have ever come is when I used a progressive initiative system, in which there was an initiative 'count' that just kept rising. In that system, your action started on a certain number and finished on another. But that's the closest I have come to using a declaration phase.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I do not use a declaration phase. D&D 5e's "How to Play" loop is very simple and easy to follow: The DM describes the environment. The player describes what he or she wants to do. The DM narrates the result of the character's actions. The loop works the same in and out of combat. I can't imagine how a declaration phase in the style of previous editions would improve that or even what sort of play experience such a rule variant is meant to support.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Our table never declares their actions until their turn, and I hate it. It slows the battle down to a crawl sometimes, because everyone is constantly re-evaluating their strategy on the fly. I've tried several times to suggest using a declaration phase to help speed combat up, but I am met with violent opposition every time.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Errrm, how violent? "I attack Clever with my dice bag!"
DO NOT MOCK MY PAIN. (some of those dice are really pointy.)

Seriously though, you would think I was suggesting everybody install Windows ME on their laptops or something. "Eeew, gross. No no, that would never work, let's use an egg timer and a complicated system of punishments to force everyone to speed up combat or else. Calling our actions beforehand is just crazy talk."

ccs

41st lv DM
Now & then we'll declare actions. Usually not though.
Works fine in our PF game, works a bit slower in the 5e group where there's often less experienced players.

5ekyu

Hero
In systems like DnD5e where you have actor-based resolution (your character does his actions in his turn) we do that. No declare thrn mish-mush together.

When we have played systems with action-based resolutions. (What is being done determines the order and so say all spells go off after all guns which go off after weapons in hand... or where talk finishes before techie before running before attacking) we did that.

When using systems eith other ways, we did those.

In a 5e based game we ran for about 18 months, we changed how the decisions of "who goes when were set (more choice, less dice) but it was still actor-based and fixed.

The key is this - use/choose a system where that basic foundation block (how actions are sequenced) is what you want or pretty close.

Way too much of the system is wrapped up in that core and radical changes are often much mirvproblem than help.

Remove ads