I do want 5E (and 6E, and 7E...)

Hussar

Legend
OTOH, I'm pretty happy with a never ending treadmill of editions.

Game designers are pretty smart people and they keep coming up with cool new ideas. Some of those ideas don't play well with existing ideas, so, we get a new edition.

And that's groovy.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am happy for 5E to come, but not quite yet.

Same for 6E and so on.

As for those waiting for 666E and 1kE, I know a cyrogenic company you can call....

S'mon

Legend
I'll keep playing and trying the new editions as they come out as well. Gotta keep supporting the hobby we all love.

Not me, I think I'm very unlikely to switch to a new edition in the foreseeable future. I've invested far more heavily in 4e than any previous edition, I think I've solved the major problems I had with it - which I never managed with 3e - and I find it an exciting game. I have great difficulty learning new systems.

If a new edition came out I think I'd keep running 4e. If I couldn't get players (which seems unlikely long as I'm in London) I'd probably quit GMing at least for some years, like I did in the late-2e era.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
OTOH, I'm pretty happy with a never ending treadmill of editions.

Game designers are pretty smart people and they keep coming up with cool new ideas. Some of those ideas don't play well with existing ideas, so, we get a new edition.

But we don't have to get a new edition; we could get a new game. It seems that since 2000--maybe except for 1985-2000--so much of the RPG community has been focused on D&D and off-brand D&D that it's been hard to do something off that treadmill. I can't imagine D&D 4 coming out by someone other than WotC and it being much of a success, not because it's bad, but because so few people would have given it a chance, with it being (a) not D&D and (b) Yet Another Fantasy Game.

I know why we have the treadmill. But I'd be much happier with a world where instead of D&D getting a new edition every 5 years, there could be multiple serious options, where what would have been 5e could coexist with 4e and something that never will exist in our world.

Argyle King

Legend
Well, why settle for only D&D though? If you're interested in new editions because you're interested in new ways of doing things which could potentially better cater to you style, why not also explore other brands? While you're waiting for D&D 5E, there are plenty of games such as Savage Worlds, GURPS 4th Edition, Fate, and many others which have a variety of takes on roleplaying. Some of those games are even versatile enough to allow you to bring some of the D&D elements you know and love to life within their rules by being toolkits.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I actually may be done changing editions. Nothing against 4e it just didn't appeal to me as a game and the marketing tactics turned me off, so now in my mid 40's I am asking myself is it worth changing to any edition period. I do think they would have 2 challenges though, not only making a version that would interest people like me to try but find a way to reach us since we are kind of out of the loop.

Mallus

Legend
I like new editions, too.

Over the past several years, I've played, D&D-wise, 3e, 3.5e, Pathfinder, 4e, and, recently, back round to AD&D. They all have their strong points and with each, the (sometimes wildly different) mechanics have an interesting bearing on the play experience.

The "definitive" D&D experience is whatever my group is doing at the table right now. So new rules to monkey with aren't a bad thing, they're just new grist for the mill.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases