D&D 5E I don't actually get the opposition for the warlord... or rather the opposition to the concept.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
You clearly and explicitly included warlords as having a long history in D&D. I did not change anything by removing the superfluous portions of your comment that did not pertain to the issue I was addressing. You said...

D&D has a long history of including an enormous wealth of character concepts, including warlords, while still being D&D.

Please explain how you came to conclude that D&D has had a long history of including warlords.

Aldarc

Legend
You clearly and explicitly included warlords as having a long history in D&D. I did not change anything by removing the superfluous portions of your comment that did not pertain to the issue I was addressing. You said...

Please explain how you came to conclude that D&D has had a long history of including warlords.
No, I did not say that the warlord has a long history in D&D. For those who understand the basics of English grammar, I clearly and explicitly included warlords as part of D&D's history of including an enormous wealth of character concepts.

"D&D has a long history of including an enormous wealth of character concepts INITIAL COMMA MODIFYING THE PRECEDING NOUN PHRASE 'an enormous wealth of character concepts' including warlords an examples of those aforementioned 'enormous wealth of character concepts' historically included END COMMA while still being D&D."

You can also read the sentence as "D&D has a long history of including an enormous wealth of character concepts while still being D&D. The warlord is one such character concept that has been included."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Gentlemen,

You may want to consider stopping. Your argument is going *nowhere*, spanning multiple threads. You are not convincing each other, or anyone else who doesn't already agree with you. But you continue to butt heads.

Traditionally, folks who continue in such fashion stretch further and strain more to prove the other guy is wrongity-wrong-wrong, with wrong sauce. With that stretching, you will eventually go over the line into something really mod-actionable, that'll earn you more than a note in the thread. If that happens, I predict you will not be happy with the results.

Let us be clear - at this point, having the last word wins you nothing. And, your own future happiness is in your hands.

Aldarc

Legend
I am more than happy to oblige. My initial post was directed to Lord Twig anyway.

Mod note: Please remember that you aren't supposed to discuss moderation in-thread. If you plan to disengage, just do so. To announce it like this comes across as a snarky parting shot that the other guy really shouldn't respond to, and so is effectively a chance to get the last word. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Chocolategravy

First Post
Well, for one, you get the ability to play the character you want to play from first level, instead of having to wait several levels just to get the basic class.

You know we're talking about 5E, right? No one gets to play anything they want at 1st level, the apprentice levels are not "the class you want to play."

Secondly, you get a class that actually functions as to what you want it to without a bunch of extraneous stuff (why is my warlord playing a lute? Why is my strategist a better swordsman than everyone else? Why is my coach lock tied to a diety and a code of ethics? Why am I casting spells?)

Again, you know this is 5E right? The WIZARD is just as good of a swordsman as both your strategist or the fighter. Why is he casting spells? What exactly did you think you were doing in 4E? You don't think you can achieve exactly what a cleric achieves with magic just by waving your pom-poms right? Call it non-magical if you want, it's dumb but you can call it non-magical spell casting.

Everyone agrees you can get something that looks kinda like a warlord, eventually, in 5e. But, that's the problem. It's only about 70% of the way there and it comes with all sorts of baggage.

Again... you realize this is 5E, right? 70% is FANTASTIC, the 5E fighter isn't even close to 70% of the 4E fighter. Where is my Come and Get It to non-magically slide enemies the rogue has knocked unconcious up into the air so I can hit them all? I can't even come close to replicating a 5E monk, rogue, fighter, anything... because 5E isn't 4E!!!

Sorry, but nothing you said even makes a lick of sense.

You can easily make a character that grants others attacks, heals people, does everything a 4E warlord can do except the things 4E had that 5E thankfully doesn't.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
So you would be okay having your Warlord in a party with a gunslinger Cowboy, a magical pony, a "fantasy girl" in a chainmail bikini and a Chaotic Evil sociopath? I mean, where do you draw the line? When do you pick up your dice and go home? Because what I'm hearing is that you would be perfectly fine with this party composition because everyone should be able to play whatever they want to play and it won't effect you at all. I find that hard to believe.

If I was playing in a group where the DM came up with a campaign that involved a mash-up of D&D and the Wild West, I would have no problem with it (and I think @Morrus already did with Santiago/Campaign_Guide). If someone wanted to make a genre-appropriate version - a medieval "gunslinger" - I'd have no problem with someone playing such a character in my games, or playing in a game where another player was playing one. It ever sounds like something I might be interested in playing myself.

If someone wanted to play a magical pony, and they weren't a pre-adolescent child, I'd first look at them as if they were nuts and then, after my initial reaction, ask them what their concept was and why it interested them - and use that to build a race and class for them to envision it in a way that was consistent with my campaign. It's called working together - compromising - not dictating an either/or situation. If I was playing in a game where someone played such a character, I'd probably use it as the virtually unlimited source of jokes and ribbings that such a character would induce - but I'd have no problem playing in the game.

If someone wanted to play a chainmail bikini "fantasy girl", I'd say No - but not because of any class or race, but because I find it ethically and morally inappropriate - a perpetuation of misogynist elements. I'd say no even if it was a female player. There are certain things I absolutely won't allow to be represented in my games, such as torture, rape, systemic racism, misogyny and misandry - nor will I play in such a game. But again, this has nothing to do with a race or class, and certainly has nothing to do with a Warlord class.

If someone wanted to play a Chaotic Evil character, I would definitely allow it as long as the player has a reason for the character to be a part of and work with the group (not just try to kill everybody at every turn). I'll also note that I have had such characters in my games, and have even played such characters in other games. As long as the player has the maturity and perspective needed to do so, it's not a problem. Again, it's not the character that would potentially be a problem, it would be the player.

Not playing in a game where another player is playing a Warlord is entirely your preference - but it's your problem, not theirs. It's no different than if I decided I hate Paladins...or Rogues...or Warlocks...or whatever...to such an extent, that I wouldn't play in a game where someone was playing them. However, I can tell you that I most certainly would not behave in that manner - Ever.

To me, it's the same as two kids playing together in a sandbox, and one of them decides the other is playing "wrong"...

No...just, No.

If a player has a problem not with another player's behavior, but merely with their choice/preference of character - to the extent that one of them has to change or go - then that's a problem with the person, not the game or a class. In my games, if that person couldn't accept the other player, they would be asked to leave.

I play to have fun with a group - with the group, together, creating the story. I do not view the group as background or a mere accessory to my character or campaign. Somebody else playing a character that I don't prefer does not define my character or my involvement in the game. That would be incredibly silly and immature if I acted that way.

By the way, if I had to pick one of the above to play with, it would be the Warlord, as that would be the least objectionable.

I try to remember that objectionable really only applies to what I prefer for me - I have no right whatsoever to object to other's preferences for themselves.

Because there is a difference. I don't want to play with Warlords in my game. If Warlords are a strictly optional class that has to be intentionally added in, then it is an easier argument for excluding them. And yes, I do want to exclude them from my game.

A Warlord class, whether explicitly stated that it's optional or not, is already 100% optional. You can't get more optional than that. The argument is not any easier or harder.

You can already exclude any class, race, spell, concept, rule, or whatever else you want from your game. Everything is already 100% optional, as per the direction in the PHB and the DMG. The rules already say everything is optional.

So, there is no difference.

It's the same argument/complaint as those that are peeved that Drow are included in the PHB.

"Now I have to let anyone play a Drow in my games!"

No, you don't.

You guys still aren't understanding the objection to the Warlord. For me it would be like sitting down with a character to play D&D and suddenly find I'm playing Traveler. Well, I don't want to play Traveler, I want to play D&D.

Nobody games in a vacuum. Whether one likes it or not, unless one plays D&D in their own mind, we all need a group for the game. Groups mean other people, other ideas, other preferences - some of which are going to be things we don't like. None of us have the right to dictate our views, in exclusion to all other views, on anybody else.

It's never My group; it's always Our group.

If a group is truly that antithetical to someone, then that group is probably not for them. Not all groups are suitable for all players, and vice-versa. To put it another way, if you're a player in a group with someone that decides to play a Warlord, you have two choices: play anyways or leave.

Just food for thought: Do you think there might be the possibility here, that you're trying to protect yourself from having a potential group you might play with tainted by something you really don't want? That you're trying to preempt that by advocating against it, in the hopes you never have to deal with this situation? That avoiding this is more important than anyone else having the potential to enjoy it?

Some people might decide that their D&D doesn't have psionics in it, or no Monks, or whatever. My D&D doesn't have Warlords in it.

If by "my D&D" you mean "the D&D being played at my table" - then Cool.

If however, you mean the game in general, then very not cool.

Though I think it's worth pointing out again, that if it's the former rather than the later, it already is and always has been that way anyways...

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
So you would be okay having your Warlord in a party with a gunslinger Cowboy, a magical pony, a "fantasy girl" in a chainmail bikini and a Chaotic Evil sociopath?
There isn't the mandate to do everything you can in Pathfinder in 5e, but if there were, those'd all be on the table... ;P

Seriously, though, I wouldn't begrudge anyone playing a party like that in 5e if that's what they really wanted. The arguably worst of those choices - CE - is already there in 5e.

I mean, where do you draw the line?
Each table draws the line where they're comfortable. The game presents options that not everyone wants, and that some people may even balk entirely at using - most options are that way. The Warlord is only different in that there is lingering edition-war animosity against it.

By the way, if I had to pick one of the above to play with, it would be the Warlord, as that would be the least objectionable.
Two of the others are already entirely do-able in 5e.

Because there is a difference. I don't want to play with Warlords in my game. If Warlords are a strictly optional class that has to be intentionally added in, then it is an easier argument for excluding them.
Which is fine, but I hope you realize that you're betraying a certain lack of faith in your own opinion and arguments, there. If the Warlord is so terrible, and the arguments against it so strong, then you should have no trouble convincing anyone you game with to play something else, and any table you game at to opt out of it. That you feel the need to have the handicap of it being opt-in-only, shows that you realize your opinion is unjustified and your arguments weak.

I'm fine with it being opt-in.

You guys still aren't understanding the objection to the Warlord. For me it would be like sitting down with a character to play D&D and suddenly find I'm playing Traveler. Well, I don't want to play Traveler, I want to play D&D.
I understand the objection perfectly. The example you give even-better illustrates how I feel about psionics. I totally get it. There's just no need to impose that objection on others.

Some people might decide that their D&D doesn't have psionics in it, or no Monks, or whatever. My D&D doesn't have Warlords in it.
Yep, and 5e has Monks, is getting Psionics, and needs Warlords.

There is no "their D&D" or "my D&D" when it comes to these things though.
Sure there is: it's the D&D you make your own, at your table. You take the D&D WotC published, pick and choose the bits you like, and off you go. The only thing that gets in the way of having "your D&D" is if the bits you want aren't there in the first place.

D&D has psionics, monks, and warlords in it regardless of my feelings towards them. D&D has a long history of including an enormous wealth of character concepts, including warlords, while still being D&D.
D&D has included a wealth of options, including Warlords, in the aggregate. No edition before 5e has actually tried to be so inclusive as to provide that full wealth of options at once, though. Even I've criticized 5e for not having much 'new,' but bringing together so much of what's come before under one 'big tent' edition is, I suppose, pretty unique.

You know we're talking about 5E, right? No one gets to play anything they want at 1st level, the apprentice levels are not "the class you want to play."
That's one of the criticisms of 5e, but it's not entirely justified. You don't get your sub-class until 2nd or 3rd, but you do get your class. A fighter gets a style at 1st level, casters get cantrips and spells at 1st level, etc.

If the only casters were EKs and ATs, you'd have an issue of not being able to 'be a caster' until 3rd level, and it'd be a real one. A Warlord-lite fighter sub-class (and BMs and PDKs fall short even of that) would run have the same problem. A well-done 5e Warlord could be providing adequate support to its party from 1st level.

the 5E fighter isn't even close to 70% of the 4E fighter.
By the numbers about 4%, but, not really a fair comparison...
Where is my Come and Get It to non-magically slide enemies the rogue has knocked unconcious up into the air so I can hit them all?
4e slide couldn't move enemies into the air unless said enemy was able to fly. But, yes, the 5e fighter is too focused on being like the 2e fighter, without enough options to be more like a 3.5 or 4e fighter.
I can't even come close to replicating a 5E monk, rogue, fighter, anything... because 5E isn't 4E!!!
Again, you're being very unfair to 5e. 5e /does/ give you most of what you could do with most classes in most editions. With regards to 4e, it gives you /far more/ in most cases. The basic 5e Druid does things it'd take 3 druid sub-classes, /combined/ to do in 4e, just for the most striking instance. Most casters get more daily spells by 4th level than a their 4e version would get even at 30th. 5e is a massive upgrade for most classes relative to 4e. The fighter is an outlier, hearkening almost exclusively to the 2e vision of that class, with just a nod to 3.5 in styles & 2 bonus (optional!) feats, and falling far short of the 4e fighter with the Battlemaster's maneuvers.

Last edited:

Miladoon

First Post
WoTc included warlords in 5E. They addressed this in their design. Blame the Bard. It needed two sublcasses to be legit, so it ate one half of the warlord concept. The starving for subclasses Fighter took the other half. You may not like it, but that is what happened.

Psions made it to Unearthed Arcana. At least the warlord concept made it to core.

Imaro

Legend
Outside of the thematic issues concerning the "warlord" archetype that I already spoke on earlier in the thread... with the greatly diminished release schedule of 5e... I'd rather get more stuff for the classes already published, psionics, and a few other things before a new warlord class. There's enough support amongst the classes in 5e now and the game can easily be tweaked with 1 or 2 rules from the DMG to easily support non-magic/low-magic play. So for me it's not necessarily about not wanting a warlord class... it's more about getting the other things I want more.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
WoTc included warlords in 5E. They addressed this in their design. Blame the Bard. It needed two sublcasses to be legit, so it ate one half of the warlord concept. The starving for subclasses Fighter took the other half. You may not like it, but that is what happened.

Psions made it to Unearthed Arcana. At least the warlord concept made it to core.
Agreed.
Every part of the warlord, including inspirational healing, is in 5e.

The only problem, is that it's split up and diluted.

Remove ads