I don't want to break any laws.....

Undead Pete

First Post
I have an idea for a homebrew thread that utilizes templates from various companies' monster books, but I don't know what I'm allowed to post....whether or not any of it would be proprietary, etc..... I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Specifically, I'd like to use the Amalgam template from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary. Does anyone have any idea what is allowed? Do I have free rein on the boards as long as I don't use it for profit?

The front of the book states that Chapters 1 & 2 are OGL, but there isn't a Chapter 1 or 2. There are Sections 1 & 2, but that basically encompasses the entire book...which would be good for my purposes.

Any ideas? Am I just being overly careful?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
IMO, you are being overly carefull.

For example, you'll notice throughout the boards, there are prestige classes and core classes based on Wizards' existing and non-OGC classes, as well as on this board there being a lot of critters based on existing copyrighted work (such as my own M:tG conversions). So just create and post, but don't publish.

Now, if you want to run it COMPLETELY legit, then you have to not only follow the rules of the OGL (which do allow using any of the templates from said book), but then you must also include a full copy of the OGL with updated Section 15, and a clear definition of what is OGC in your post.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
if you're not retyping the templates, you're 100% safe as far as i know. :)

as far as reposting copywritten material... let's just say i've taken some chances on a few things and am not the best example on what should and should not be done in a public forum. ;) in other words, i haven't gotten into trouble yet. :)

robjh

First Post
BOZ said:
if you're not retyping the templates, you're 100% safe as far as i know. :)

as far as reposting copywritten material... let's just say i've taken some chances on a few things and am not the best example on what should and should not be done in a public forum. ;) in other words, i haven't gotten into trouble yet. :)

But if you copy the template descriptions word-for-word from a non-OGL'd publication when you apply it to a monster, you might be treading in mirky waters. So perhaps consider re-wording the descriptions a bit, just to be safe, unless those were taken from an OGL'd work. At least that would be my suggestion. :)

Remove ads