I found the perfect image for my avenger!

jasin

Explorer
00091.jpg

While "guy in a cloak with a huge sword" isn't hard, what really sells it (besides being awesome in its own right) are the birds. Avenging Echoes (hit target, anyone who attacks you or hangs around you gets damaged) is probably my favorite power, and I've been describing it as a flock of ravens surrounding my character and clawing and pecking at creatures that take damage from Avenging Echoes.

Klaus

First Post
That's indeed awesome.

Me? I'd go with this:

solomon-kane-teaser-poster_1233286313_640w.jpg

Instead of a huge weapon, I'd go with the Two-weapon route and use feats to increase the flat damage.

nicholasgeorg

First Post
Pretty sure that image is Severian the Torturer from the Book of the New Sun.

Interesting to think of him as an avenger. Probably a hybrid monk/avenger.

jasin

Explorer
Pretty sure that image is Severian the Torturer from the Book of the New Sun.
Indeed it is. Severian was on my mind when I was making the character, so imagine my glee when I later read this:
mearls said:
Avenger: Ripping aside the ethereal nature of Wolf's Book of the New Sun and treating it as a comic book of sorts, Severian the torturer was a major influence on this class's initial feel and direction. Obviously its divine roots steered in a different direction, but I can easily see playing an avenger based on fantasy's most famous torturer.
Interesting to think of him as an avenger. Probably a hybrid monk/avenger.
Why monk? I haven't even seen the whole preview, so I don't know exactly how monks work. What do they get that strikes you as particularly Severian-appropriate?

nicholasgeorg

First Post
He could do all that badass pressure point disabling / joint locking takedown stuff, and besides, he's shirtless throughout the whole quartet of novels. Also the whole guild thing feels sort of like a physical training oriented monastery.

Mechanically there's no real reason, but thematically I think it fits.

I'm also reading Edward Bolme's Orb of Xoriat right now, and it's making me sort of monk-obsessive.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Great find!

I've been looking for a suitable avenger pic as well as one of my players is about to start playing one.

I love collecting pictures of characters and scenes because you never know when they're going to inspire an encounter, adventure or even a campaign.

Remove ads