D&D 5E I gave up--Here's a Warrior-Mage base class

But I didn't think we were discussing a game with nerfed GWM, SS and CE?

I think for the OP I was intending to mention that I was considering balance without the inclusion of feats (I do take them into account a bit, but I prefer to run my games so I don't have to think much about it), but I may have forgotten to bring that point up...

Yaarel

He Mage
@Sword of Spirit

Any chance of doing a writeup of the Warrior Mage as a PDF for the DMs Guild?

This homebrew class, the Warrior Mage, seems significant, discovering that a full caster Wizard can remain balanced with advanced melee combat features. It is almost a straightforward Wizard tradition replacing tradition features with Fighter features.

The balance seems due to 5e spellcasting remaining generally balanced, while Bard and Cleric and sometimes others are full casters that are also competent in melee.

(Heh, this was a hard thread to find, the title is "Warrior Mage" but I kept searching for terms like "Fighter Wizard".)

@Sword of Spirit

Any chance of doing a writeup of the Warrior Mage as a PDF for the DMs Guild?

This homebrew class, the Warrior Mage, seems significant, discovering that a full caster Wizard can remain balanced with advanced melee combat features. It is almost a straightforward Wizard tradition replacing tradition features with Fighter features.

The balance seems due to 5e spellcasting remaining generally balanced, while Bard and Cleric and sometimes others are full casters that are also competent in melee.

(Heh, this was a hard thread to find, the title is "Warrior Mage" but I kept searching for terms like "Fighter Wizard".)

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

I'm still working on drafts, so hopefully by the time it's finished it will combine even more satisfaction and balance into the package. I'm not sure whether I'll go for formally publishing it on DMs Guild, but I'll definitely make sure it's available in a nice looking pdf in any event. If I don't start a thread with the latest draft in the next month, feel free to bump this one as a reminder.

Remove ads