D&D 5E I hate expertise dice as a universal mechanic.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Droogie128 said:
That isn't a game I would be willing to play. I want balance across all pillars

1) Balance of power =/= balance of options.

2) Absolutely this should be a dial you can turn (3e and 4e stabby death ninja rogues are an archetype that deserves to be supported!)

3) Equality of pillars is perhaps desirable from a game-style standpoint, but isn't strictly necessary from a balance perspective.

Either way, I totally want you to get what you want, as long as I can also have what I want. :)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Because that is the whole point of classes. Each class should be distinct from the other. Mechanical diversity is a must have. "More of what everyone else gets" does not make a class. Classes are defined by what they can do.

Well, it's a good thing that wizards are the only ones who have the mechanics necessary to cast spells the--

...oh. Wait.

;)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Well, it's a good thing that wizards are the only ones who have the mechanics necessary to cast spells the--

...oh. Wait.

;)
Yeah, because we know every single spellcasting class keeps a spellbook and over time learns every single spell on the PHB and any spaltbook on existence. Oh right they don't, and are underpowered as a result because the dev team refuses to acept they are fundamentally different and cannot be balanced using the exact same principles.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, because we know every single spellcasting class keeps a spellbook and over time learns every single spell on the PHB and any spaltbook on existence. Oh right they don't, and are underpowered as a result because the dev team refuses to acept they are fundamentally different and cannot be balanced using the exact same principles.

So what you're saying is that if the Fighter could just learn every maneuver (but still only be able to use a certain number per fight) then all of sudden they're now unique and rogues can share the Expertise dice mechanic? Just follow the Wizard's example... well, that's good to know. ;)

The various spells known and used by casters do the more to separate, help distinguish and define the various magic using classes than features like having a spellbook. In 3.X classes such as the Sorcerer, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Wu Jen and Warmage were thought by many to be little more than alternatives to the Wizard just because they shared so many spells with the Wizard. The Cleric and Druid on the other hand distinguished themselves from the Wizard and each other by having a good number of spells not shared with other casters that were not themselves considered alternatives to the Cleric or Druid.

Currently the maneuver selection available to the Fighter and Rogue are underwhelming and do little to nothing to distinguish them from each other.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Currently the maneuver selection available to the Fighter and Rogue are underwhelming and do little to nothing to distinguish them from each other.

And that would matter if the book was being released now. But as we still have two years until then... don't you think it might be likely that in the interim we'll actually see more maneuvers created... some for the Fighter, some for the Rogue, some for the Barbarian, some for the Warlord etc. etc. so that everyone has something unique? Did you ever consider that possibility?

All spellcasters use spells. But different casters have different spells to choose from to make them unique. Now why that equation doesn't work when you substitute 'weapon user' for 'spellcaster' and 'maneuvers' for 'spells' is beyond me.

And that would matter if the book was being released now. But as we still have two years until then... don't you think it might be likely that in the interim we'll actually see more maneuvers created... some for the Fighter, some for the Rogue, some for the Barbarian, some for the Warlord etc. etc. so that everyone has something unique? Did you ever consider that possibility?

All spellcasters use spells. But different casters have different spells to choose from to make them unique. Now why that equation doesn't work when you substitute 'weapon user' for 'spellcaster' and 'maneuvers' for 'spells' is beyond me.

Uhm, that is pretty much exactly what I was saying... I was not arguing with you. I was just stating my opinion.

Remove ads