• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I hate problem players

n00b f00

First Post
It sounds like he wants to be silly and is likely having fun, but is just a poor fit for your table.

Have you tried talking to him? Are you willing to do a silly game?

If you do another one you need to establish tone and expectations. If he refuses then you just have to deal with it or stop playing since apparently you can't kick him.

Halivar

First Post
Maybe Halruuans sound Australian. Or Dutch. Or they have a Southern United States drawl. Who knows.
We once invited one of our redneck friends (deep south here, I use the word as no epithet; he wore the label proudly) to play and he chose a dwarven priest. Ever since then, all dwarves in our D&D games have a thick southern drawl (not Scottish!) and use country southern colloquialisms.

"Goshdurnit! I dun told you that thar treasure chest was trapped!"

Noctem

Explorer
Sounds like he is just a Method Actor - try Polymorphing him into a Canadian. I think you will find that solves most of your problems, eh.

As a proud Canadian I find this post offensive, Sir! Canada-Canadian-lawyers-South-Park.jpg

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Let his OOC behaviour stand for his IC behaviour and let the fictional world react to it in whatever way seems fun.

I would advise against this - you shouldn't address out-of-game interpersonal issues with in-game events. It is passive-aggressive, and mature adults use their words to talk through interpersonal difficulties, not fictional proxies.

The one time I felt a player needed to be booted from a game I was in, it was for outright sexual harassment of / assault on another player. I was not GM of the game, but I was hosting, and had the player not bowed out after the incident, he would have been told he was no longer welcome in my home.

S

Sunseeker

If you can't kick him out, walk from the game yourself. No gaming is better than bad gaming.

Bad is relative.

Are we talking about "bad" as in, a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10? Or like -10?

And IMO: after a while of no gaming, you'll take bad gaming over no gaming. Or you'll just quit the hobby which I suppose is the ultimate "no gaming". But assuming we don't go nuclear on the hobby, IME: bad gaming is, at least for a while, superior to no gaming at all.

discosoc

First Post
I had a player who would fight me on everything. He was like the ultimate rules lawyer who wasn't really familiar with the rules, and instead would go off what made sense to him. He'd get pretty confrontational when I wouldn't suddenly reverse a ruling I made, etc..

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
IME: bad gaming is, at least for a while, superior to no gaming at all.
In my experience, folks accepting bad gaming so that they avoid no gaming at all are the ones most likely to "go nuclear" and give up on gaming entirely (especially if they also fall into the trap of thinking that finding other people to game with is difficult or unlikely to happen).

Remove ads