• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I have $500 of gaming material to purchase... what now?

I just convinced my good buddy Fayredeth to pick up Book of Righteousness at the EN Chicago GameDay and the boy is drooling over it. I think he's mentioned it at least once a day all week. Me? I picked up CoC d20 and Monster Manual II. Call of Cthulu looks awesome and I just can't wait to run an adventure with my group for a change of pace. Monster Manual II is nice because it explains everything that the MM did...but does it better and more clearly. The monsters are alright, but nothing too spectacular, after my frist skim through the book. The beginning of the book is very good though.

BoVD...well I just don't see how I'd use all that much of it in my game.

d20 Modern... I just barely made the DC 25 will save to not buy that in addition to CoC and MM2 up at Games Plus last weekend.... :D

Fayredeth

First Post
Yes, as Trev (boy? who are you to talk, minor!) has mentioned, I do drool over the Book of the Righteous. I would highly recommend it, especially if you would like a complete religion/pantheon, and the Holy Warrior that the book introduces is a very good class, sort of building off of the paladin. Besides that, Relics and Rituals, Traps and Treachery, Manual of the Planes, and Dungeons have served me well, and I would recommend them.

I remember a gaming company had a $500 shopping spree prize that you could enter for at GenCon; is that how you came across such a wonderful gaming gift?

jaldaen

First Post
If you only get one book mentioned in this thread (which I know you will be able to do) I would say get:

The Monsternomicon!

It is a beautiful book, well-written (and not just by me ;-), and full of both flavor and crunch. It was a pleasure to work on this book and I would work with Privateer Press again just for the production value alone (though don't tell them that ;-).

Joseph Miller

PS: If you like to play illusionists I would recommend EA- Illusionism... but of course I'm bias on that on as I wrote it... ;-)
PPS: If you do pick up EA-Illusionism please review it as I like feedback and appreciate both criticism and (hopefully) praise ;-)

EarthsShadow

First Post
deadline?

Is there a deadline by when you have to use the certificate? If there is no expiration date on it, then you could wait until next year to pick up some really interesting books coming out...

Midnight campaign setting
Gamma World 20 setting
Urban Arcana setting
Races of Faerun (a general races book in my opinion)
Digital Burn
Mutants & Masterminds

Get the Kalamar DM screen, by far the best DM screen ever invented.

that's all I can think of right now that is either coming out next year or coming out this month.

Terraism

Explorer
Nightfall, I'm floored - aside from the pair of Relic's and Rituals, you missed a chance to pimp all of the Scarred Lands products (well, that, or I've fallen behind on the titles again... grumble.) [Chuckle.]

Anyway, on topic - I've been repeatedly impressed by the Fantasy Flight Games stuff - and make a habit of picking most of it up when I can. The new monster book - can't remember the name; sorry - looks especially good... something people seem to have been asking for, I think.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Terraism said:
Nightfall, I'm floored - aside from the pair of Relic's and Rituals, you missed a chance to pimp all of the Scarred Lands products (well, that, or I've fallen behind on the titles again... grumble.) [Chuckle.]

I decided to be nice and only pimp a few Scarred Land titles. After all it's 500 dollars. I'm not sure if he's a convert yet. It be different if I was sure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads