D&D 5E I have never once worried about "encounters per day" when prepping D&D 5E (a poll)

"I have never once worried about "encounters per day" when prepping D&D 5E"

• True

Votes: 100 62.9%
  • False

Votes: 59 37.1%

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The 5mwd exsited way before CR. But I do admit that you might have had a point. Except most young DM and players in my area are barely able to read English, much less speaking and listening to it. This is the reason that I think that the 5mwd is related to DM's styles and a lack of explanations of what is expected in both the DMG and the PHB.
Agreed
Both yes and no. It depends on the narrative you want to instill and inspire. It can be at la Jackie Chang where one fight leads to the next (not necessarily funny) or in preparation for a big show down like westerns of old. The 5mwd has its place in the narrative. The problem arises when the 5mwd is the only thing the players want to do.
Then like the Jackie Chan movie you bring the fight to them Jackie's character never wants the extended fights either but he keep running in to them. The 5mwd is a problem because of the habit of location keyed encounters and the initiative resting with the party. If a DM wants to change it up then the fight comes to the party.

Then like the Jackie Chan movie you bring the fight to them Jackie's character never wants the extended fights either but he keep running in to them. The 5mwd is a problem because of the habit of location keyed encounters and the initiative resting with the party. If a DM wants to change it up then the fight comes to the party.
This is exactly what I tell young inexperienced DMs to do. The group wants to rest? Fine, bring the whole adventure to them. Especially if there is a boss or overlord in the dungeon/crypt/cave network or whatever. A lord will not let his underlings get killed an not try to find out who or what is up against him/her. It will actively seek the perpetrators, mount seek and destroy expeditions and lay traps. There is nothing more satisfying than having the group get ambushed and hear them saying: "BBBBUUTTT! WE HAD CLEARED THAT ROOM!!!!" It not only discourage the 5mwd but it also makes the dungeon and the world much more alive and organic. The world reacts to what the players are doing and it enhance their experience as well as the DMs experience too.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
One day I want to do a dungeon like one of the comics I read in dragon or dungeon (Zogonia, I think the name was). The lich was at the dungeon entrance but the characters were all, the lich is never at the start of the dungeon, and so they got disintegrated.

Remove ads