• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Lancelot

Adventurer
not just them, but the idea of concise, purposefully-designed modules, the rules for managing a Domain, dual-classing (aka gestalt characters). it looks like there's plenty missing.

and it's not as if i'm saying i'm completely disenchanted with the game, i'm merely frustrated that a company with the resources and time that WotC had couldn't manage to squeeze a bit more into the most hyped book of their core line.

Has anyone said that the rules for running a domain aren't in there? I've heard the contrary; that there are expanded rules for Downtime that include activities like running a business or domain.

As for dual-classing, do we REALLY need more pages on this in the DMG? You want to play a fighter/wizard. Take 1 level of fighter, then 1 level of wizard. Or play a warlock hexblade. Or play a fighter (eldritch knight subclass). Or play a fighter with the magic initiate feat, with arcane cantrips and a daily spell (at 1st level). Or play a dwarf wizard with medium armor. Or dozens of other options. 5e multiclassing / backgrounds / feats are already more flexible than any previous version. But you want an entire module on this material that is going to take something else from the 300 pages of the DMG. My question is one of priorities - what the heck are you dropping for this module (which I, personally, would consider a waste of space)? Do they drop magic items? Evil character options? Random dungeons? Monster CR index and rules for building them? Magic item creation guidelines?

As for your comment around "surely a company with WotC's resources and time...", do you realize their entire pen-and-paper development team is less than 10 people? I work for a small IT company that produces a handful of products, and we have 500 staff. I cannot even imagine using a team of only 10 people to create an incredibly complex creative work that has to not only satisfy countless thousands of online nit-picking grognards who have been playing for 30 years... plus win market share back from Pathfinder and others... plus attract new players... plus be beholden to your desire for incredibly specific customization modules that only apply to 1% of consumers who will be acquiring the product.

I'm already impressed by the depth I've seen in this DMG. Look at the tremendous wealth of optional components that we already know are coming: examples of new races, evil character builds, magic item creation guidelines, new downtime rules, alternate spell point system, alternate rest/healing options, random dungeon creation, monster creation/modification rules, and much more. That already puts it ahead of most previous DMGs (excluding perhaps the BECMI Rules Cyclopedia, which remains the gold standard, in my opinion).

Sure, we're *probably* not getting the 1e DMG Random Prostitutes Table, but still. Judge the book once it's in your hands. Based on what I've seen so far, I think the WotC team are doing an excellent job of packing the book full of useful material - including plenty of optional rules and components.

not just them, but the idea of concise, purposefully-designed modules, the rules for managing a Domain, dual-classing (aka gestalt characters). it looks like there's plenty missing.
There's only 320-pages. They couldn't have everything. They can't fit the entire contents of the 3e DMG, DMG2, and Unearthed Arcana and more in a single book.

Calling out the book because it they had to cut something is the ultimate "glass half empty".

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
once again, i never said the book wouldn't be good or useful, just that it wasn't full of everything we were led to believe it would be. the designers mentioned a lot of things were cut for space, which tells me they designed them thinking they'd fit, but were forced to cut them as the reality of actually releasing a physical product set in. the book spiraled out of their control toward the end and was not able to be everything they wanted it to.

if they really cared about catering to the fans, they'd just stick the extra stuff in the DM basic rules and use the Unearthed Arcana article for something new. unfortunately, we all know that the optional content will trickle from the poorly-designed WotC homepage on a wartime ration schedule.

this week on Mearls' Unearthed Arcana, the first half of the Elf Sage background, come back in 6 weeks (it's con season) to see how it differs from the PHB version.

weldon

Explorer
Mearls specifically used that term {Hacker's Guide} on at least one occasion. But like I said - I'm sure they've made the best decisions about what to include and what not to. They've been on the money so far.

IIRC, someone else used that term (hacker's guide) in an interview and he responded by saying that was a source of inspiration for the team.

I think it's fair to say the DMG has many of the DM tools that Mearls said would be there.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
What I find most ironic at all is that it was NOT that Canadian chain that broke release date again (although there is still time for that). I wonder if they feel burned now that it wasnt them.

'But thats our thing!'

Evenglare

Adventurer
There ARE a lot of things missing, but I think the DMG itself will be one of the best we have ever gotten. They had a lot to work with and I think they have distilled it down into something great, much like the other 2 books in the series (if you want to look at it like that). One thing I'm really bummed about is the lack of mass combat. I know they said it'll be free, but seeing as presentation was a huge component, not having it in the DMG lacks something complete that I originally envisioned. It's not that we aren't getting the rules it's the way it's going to be presented, they said in the basic game? It feels super out of place, mass combat being in basic and yet not part of the core rulebooks. Oh well. Can't win them all.

Ironbound

First Post
There are rules for using squares and hexes which include flanking, more precise rules for cover and facing (the 1-2 diagonal optional rule is also present).

Specific combat options that are offered are: climbing on a bigger creature, disarming, marking, overrunning, shoving aside and tumbling. There's also an option for hitting cover (basically the 3e rule). There is a short table for lingering wounds and rules for massive damage and morale.

If there are options for facing, opportunity attacks are about to become a lot more important. How does facing deal with how weak they are right now? Why not just walk around each other the whole time?

Remove ads