• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have the DMG!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
You'd be a lot less amused if you were aware that "legendary" for magic items means about as much as "legendary" for monsters and you can see them at very low level.

I didn't realize the word "legendary" had a numeric value that could be applied to both monsters and magic items and that they were equivalent. How many of them have to exist for them to be considered "legendary"? And what does that then do to the odds of coming across them? Is there a percentage chance that someone will encounter either of them in their lifetime?

Methinks there needs to be a random chart in the DMG to tell us just how likely encountering a "legendary" monster or magic item really is. :D

Rune

Once A Fool
Since you can run circles around creatures and not provoke, getting flanking is far easier than previous editions and advantage is far more valuable. It also reduces the value of a number of abilities by quite a bit such as shield bash, distracting attack, and wolf spirit rage. In the case of wolf spirit since it's part of a feat chain the value of the entire feat chain drops.

This option is so bad it is literally worse than not having the option because some people will use it. Advantage mechanic strikes again!

Depends. If the facing rules actually change the threatened area to the spaces in front of the character, then leaving that area to get into flanking position actually will trigger an opportunity attack.

Chocolategravy

First Post
Methinks there needs to be a random chart in the DMG to tell us just how likely encountering a "legendary" monster or magic item really is. :D

Playtest did indeed have it, which is probably why we see legendary items showing up for level 7 characters in published adventures. Your comment on the difficulty of getting legendary items is equating "legendary" and "high level", and in 5E they're not.

pepticburrito

First Post
A magic shield is a broken item combination. Magic armor is already common in the game, we were stuck with it. Adding a magic shield to it is a busted combination, it shouldn't have existed.

At your table, perhaps. The default is that the player will never see any magic items in their entire adventuring career.

Sacrosanct

Legend
One other thing. If your PCs have +3 weapons and armor, I'm assuming they got them from somewhere. So your AC 26? That's cool, but that death knight is attacking you with a +3 sword, making his bonus go from +11 to +14.

It goes both ways.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
One other thing. If your PCs have +3 weapons and armor, I'm assuming they got them from somewhere. So your AC 26? That's cool, but that death knight is attacking you with a +3 sword, making his bonus go from +11 to +14.

It goes both ways.

What?!? No, no, no sir...! The death knight fights with regular weapons and armor and keeps the magical ones in the chest BEHIND him! The one the rogue has to disarm the trap and pick the lock on first! Have you not PLAYED the game?!? ;)

Chocolategravy

First Post
You keep saying bounded accuracy is broken by different things. I do not think it means what you think it means. ;)

I know what it means. If you're disagreeing it means you don't.

The bounded accuracy still works because the heavily armored fighter (+3 plate, +2 shield) is still within range of a majority (anything with a +6 to hit or a magic user) of the creatures in the MM without needing a crit.

+3 plate and +2 shield on a fighter = 26 AC. Assuming no other easier to get bonuses like ring of protection, shield of faith, haste etc.

Now, clearly if you think needing a 20 to hit is "well within range" then you indeed don't know what bounded accuracy means.

Creatures whose hit rate is that bad are not threatening and are nothing more than an XP pinata, which means the encounter guidelines, which rely on bounded accuracy working, don't work with ACs that high.

Chocolategravy

First Post

It goes both ways.
Yes, you are correct, the Death Knight is too weak so needs to be made more powerful to provide a challenge to the party, thanks to the party having bounded accuracy breaking magic gear.

However that raises the Death Knight's CR making it "too powerful" for the party or otherwise reducing the number of enemies in the fight per the encounter guidelines. Sorry, can't have your cake and eat it too.

SilentWolf

First Post
Ciao Nikosandros. ^ ^
Congratulazioni per l'acquisto!! Beato te. ^ ^

I take this opportunity to ask some questions:

What about the "Flavors of Fantasy" (pag. 38) and the "Adventure Types" (pag. 72) sections? What is their content exactly? There are rules or guidelines to play different genres (low magic, gritty fantasy, horror, science fiction, ecc.)?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yes, you are correct, the Death Knight is too weak so needs to be made more powerful to provide a challenge to the party, thanks to the party having bounded accuracy breaking magic gear.

However that raises the Death Knight's CR making it "too powerful" for the party or otherwise reducing the number of enemies in the fight per the encounter guidelines. Sorry, can't have your cake and eat it too.

hahahahaha, the irony in this statement.

Tell you what. How about you actually go play the game for a while, and then come back to us. All you've ever done since you created this account was complain about how 5e is broken without actually having any significant game play behind your theories.

So shine on, I suppose, but lucky for me these forums have a very easy function to not have to worry about your posts anymore.

Remove ads