• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I have the DMG!

pukunui

Legend
OK, I'll be back later to answer more questions... :)
Is there no optional rule for trading in magic items with percentile tables for "finding" and "selling" them? What about one regarding "starting at higher levels"? I'm curious to see if these things made the final cut.

Also, what do boots of elvenkind do?

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
Let's not forget that a +2 shield or a +3 suit of plate armor will definitely require attunement, so using both means that 26ac fighter gets to decide whether he wants to use a decent magic weapon, a ring of resistance, a belt of giant strength, or one of numerous other important items for his last slot.

That sort-of assumes magic items are important after all, which appears to contradict what some people seem to believe. If the numbers turn out to be meaningful after all, that's not exactly a point in favour of the claims that magic items aren't an expected part of character power.

Pensquiggle

First Post
Re Magic Items - I like the Attunement idea (Max 3 Items Attuned at any one time), helps cut down overpowered PC's & NPC's.

Although Armour/Armor is not needed to be attuned it would be easy for a DM to rule they could be - especially if the Bonus is more than +1.

Ironbound

First Post
Depends. If the facing rules actually change the threatened area to the spaces in front of the character, then leaving that area to get into flanking position actually will trigger an opportunity attack.

I'm an idiot for not thinking of this myself.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
That sort-of assumes magic items are important after all, which appears to contradict what some people seem to believe. If the numbers turn out to be meaningful after all, that's not exactly a point in favour of the claims that magic items aren't an expected part of character power.

Maybe it's time we start arguing about whether we got what was "promised in abstract terms like "bounded accuracy" and "wealth by level" and instead look at the actual system in front of us and judge whether we like it.

transtemporal

Explorer
As if bounded accuracy wasn't staked, beheaded and buried already, they also had to light it on fire and toss it in a sphere of annihilation. 28 AC won't be hard then, which is reasonable against a CR 24 dragon with +17 to hit, but the CR 17 death knight's +11 is nearly worthless and anything lower is pointless in a fight unless it has a non-weapon attack.

Wow, hyperbole much?
Firstly, CR 21+ creatures have between +15 and +18 attack bonus so your AC 28 guy (however it is youre getting that) is getting hit between 40% to 55% of the time. Thats pretty crappy for a character that put a lot of resources into AC.
Secondly, bounded accuracy is not supposed to make creatures 9 levels below you into major threats. As it is, the death knight still has a 20% chance to hit. What were you expecting that to be?

GhomInc

First Post
Boar said:
I've jealously held on to that pdf [of Next Magic item Randomness] just for those tables. I won't use them, exactly, but they provide inspiration (and thus advantage on my NPC's attacks, right?).​
Is that still .pdf around publicly somewhere? That sounds interesting.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Are genasi described as a PC race, and if so how? Ie. 2e/3e genasi, or the bizarre 4e ones?

What outsiders are described as being native to the various outer planes, specifically are the 2e/3e celestial eladrin described as natives of Arborea? Are guardinals listed for Elysium? Archons for Mount Celestia?

Is the Deep Ethereal mentioned at all?

Are any classic 2e/3e tieflings discussed? Any tiefling origins other than exclusively devils, considering that the PHB actively locked out every other option in the fluff? After they'd been talking about 5e embracing the game's classic material, and then in the PHB they just doubled down on the 4e tiefling, I was hoping that they'd acknowledge non-4e tieflings as an option in the DMG.

Last edited:

Fralex

Explorer
You can use them as a generator on this site. Just replace "Level" with "CR". That should tide you over for a few weeks. :)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/dnd_view_block.php?id=1438

These are not the tables I was talking about. There were four of them. They looked like this:[Sblock]
d20Creator
1Abyssal
2-4Ancient Human
5Celestial
6Draconic
7Drow
8-10Dwarven
11Elemental (air)
12Elemental (earth)
13Elemental (fire)
14Elemental (water)
15-17Elven