D&D 5E I hope this isn't 5E...(art that screams "not this, not this!")

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Though I have to throw in my point of agreement with jbear on this subject in regards to certain character concepts. Players that are heavily nature-oriented as well as swashbucklers, rogues/thieves and other charismatic types often "show skin" as part of their character. Nature-inclined types don't see the need for it, as they are fine just the want nature intended. More charisma-y types often play up their good looks, from sorcerers to bards and thieves and swashbucklers, a gleaming smile, exposed cleavage or legs, manly chest-hair and a well-muscled physique go a long way towards how these characters are played in MANY situations.

CHAR doesn't equal good looks in our games. Sure, the bard will probably be an attractive, radiant personality, although we had games where he was fat and unseemly, but was still radiant and rushed people along with his tales. The girls seemed to like him anyway. ;)

While certain erotic imagery may take the issue a little far at times, it's unrealistic to claim that everyone needs to be bundled up like it's the middle of winter.

LOL but they aren't :D We have one PC in the Cyndu game who hardly wears any clothes if she doesn't have to. But, neither does she run around as temptress, or spreads her legs. She's just usually naked. We have a barbarian elsewhere who can't fight when not naked. There is no need for a full body picture though, nor are those PCs portrayed as exceptionally sexual.

S

Sunseeker

Why, in the world, should sex be in a family game other than maybe being briefly mentioned?

Well now see here's the issue, you're looking at your game as a "family game", and obviously that is not all D&D games. I'm not saying you can't allow or disallow whatever you want in your games. I would however say that D&D is NOT by default a "family game", I'd wager it's more PG-13 rated.

Actually, I'm not sure why you two are really arguing at all. Some people play games with more sexuality than others, why is this a problem?

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Well now see here's the issue, you're looking at your game as a "family game", and obviously that is not all D&D games. I'm not saying you can't allow or disallow whatever you want in your games. I would however say that D&D is NOT by default a "family game", I'd wager it's more PG-13 rated.

Actually, I'm not sure why you two are really arguing at all. Some people play games with more sexuality than others, why is this a problem?

I started playing when I was about 7 or so, so did my son. So did a lot of the kids at our tables. To me, it has always been a family game.

My issue is with the ART in D&D, and I would probably not buy/be able to use anything with too much sexualized stuff in it.

Pheonix0114

Explorer
Not getting involved in the argument taking place, just stating my personal opinion on the art:

As I read through the Pathfinder Core Rulebook (which was not my first D&D experience, I had played 4e extensively and had looked through many 3.5 books as well as having seen some art from older editions) I kept being amazed all over again by the art presented. Every image, whether a still or an action shot, kicked my imagination into high gear. The images capture the thrill and expectation of adventure in away that nothing but the best fantasy novels I have read had done before. And yes, I see all the added dohickeys that don't need to be there. And agree the sword is a little wonky. But it is still utterly and completely cool in my opinion.

JoeGKushner

First Post
In terms of women and the 'sexy' art depictions, I feel that if you HAVE to go there to sell your product, it's probably not a product I'm going to be interested in anyway because you've tarted it up to sell it.

In terms of women warriors, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C9WWQWD7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg , the old cover for the Forgotten Realms showcases a D&D illustrations with a woman warrior in full armor.

In terms of anime/oversized weapons... I'm gonna duck out of that one. I love Berserk, the anime and the manga and the guy draws like George Perez in my opinion but the main character has a huge friggin' sword and there is a reason he has such a weapon but I get that it's not everyone's bit.

In terms of Wayne Reynolds, if people don't like his fantastical art, hunt down some of his Ospery work. It might change your mind about his talents.

S

Sunseeker

I started playing when I was about 7 or so, so did my son. So did a lot of the kids at our tables. To me, it has always been a family game.
I did not, and with the exception of one person at our table, most of my friends/players families don't even approve of D&D. On the few times when I did play with younger kids, I found my games to be less enjoyable.

My issue is with the ART in D&D, and I would probably not buy/be able to use anything with too much sexualized stuff in it.

Well, I really wonder if you've been looking because sexualized content is pretty pervasive in most editions, not so far as that Night Elf originally linked, but certainly some rather sexy content.

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
I don't know about the other ones, but the women in these paintings are half-naked for actual story reasons. Kitiara, the woman in the first image, has had her armor ripped away by the guardians of the Tower of Palanthas (this occurs in the novel, Test of the Twins). Normally she wears the armor depicted here. http://pictures.linkmesh.com/dragons/imagenes/kiatara_and_the_blue_dragon.jpg

Notice, that is ALSO by Larry Elmore.

The other image is from the novel preceding Test of the Twins, War of the Twins. Again, the woman's clothes are ripped away for story reasons. Probably a good idea not to piss off Raistlin, the Black-robed mage in the picture. She is dressed like this http://www.freewebs.com/tohs2/War of the Twins - Larry Elmore.jpg normally.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
And that's exactly the problem. It is all my parents ever had an issue with. It was possible to explain that away with "yeah, males make the game for mostly males" in the 80s but that's not the case anymore. We don't really need this type of sexism/sexualization in today's games.

S

Sunseeker

And that's exactly the problem. It is all my parents ever had an issue with. It was possible to explain that away with "yeah, males make the game for mostly males" in the 80s but that's not the case anymore. We don't really need this type of sexism/sexualization in today's games.

Imagery of males should be taken into consideration if we're gonna start talking about sexualization.

Remove ads