D&D 5E "I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E" (a poll)

"I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E"

• True.

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • False.

Votes: 38 52.1%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I had to read the question a couple times to make sure I understood what I was voting for. But the answer is False, I did not write a house-rule for 5E, or use any of the rules options in the DMG, prior to ever playing 5E.

It went something like this for me:

1. My Pathfinder campaign ended, decided to try out 5E
2. Ran a couple of games in 5E
3. Decided it was 'too different,' wrote some house rules to 'fix' that 'problem'
4. Discovered the house rules were actually terrible, dropped them
5. Added in a couple of rules variants from the DMG
6. Added materials from Xanathar's, Fizban's, Volo's, Mordenkainen's, and Tasha's.
...and that brings me up to the present day.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"Level advancement without XP" is an option from the DMG, so, yes. After four editions, I didn't really feel like I needed to try out the XP mechanic again before saying it wasn't for me.
You know? I’m a strong advocate both for XP and for “try it as-written before house ruling,” but I think this is totally fair and reasonable.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And I don't know if it's really a house rule but I generally make the difficulty of encounters harder than the standard recommended value because that's how my players like it.
That’s an interesting question. I definitely wouldn’t consider that house-ruling, but I could see an argument for it being so.

RFB Dan

Podcast host, 6-edition DM, and guy with a pulse.
I have some standard house rules that we've been using for years now, the main one being the "mulligan chip" (which has made some epic things happen in the games). So yeah, I suppose it's true. Though almost every campaign I've been in has been house ruled and modified, no matter which edition.

Hard question because I took part in the next play test but when 5e official released I ran it as close to RaW as I logically could for about 6 months before I started tinkering.

Shiroiken

Legend
I made a few minor changes before running it, with most of those changes remaining to this day (and many adopted by the other DMs in my group).

Laurefindel

Legend
I used “slow healing” from the DMG in my first game/campaign. Not because I preferred it to default (as a matter of fact I hadn’t read the DMG at that point) but because I thought “D&D would certainly not allow you to regain ALL your hp overnight! Right?”

Few game sessions later I realized my mistake (to my great astonishment) but kept it for consistency sake. I’ve been playing mostly RaW ever since, which astonishes me because i used to be an avid house-ruler and meddler of rules.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads