I just GMed my 3 year old for the first time!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Woas said:
Or the Boohbahs.

*shudder* I've said this before: The Boohbahs are completely wack. Wacker perhaps than the Telletubbies. It isn't that they're evil per se, but more like insanity embodied in fat, jiggly, brightly-colored packages.

alsih2o said:
Best. Parent. Ever.

Thank you. Although I'm under no illusions that I'm the best parent ever, I may just swap that into my sig. But the question is what to replace? The Story Hour link, the Jimmy Buffett lyrics or the quote from Torm?

Just so you know (in case anybody else out there is thinking of doing something similar), for the next adventure, I think I'm going to just take digital pictures of sites in our yard rather than spending all that time hunting for appropriate clip art.

What is funny is how closely this maps to making up an adventure for 1st level D&D characters. I'm thinking, "How can I make this challenging and interesting, but still doable for someone with such basic skills?" It's tough. But, as with all gaming, it's so fun watching them discover the adventure you've made that it is totally worth the effort. Probably even moreso under these circumstances.

Thank you all for your kind words and I'll keep updating this thread with tales of our further adventures.

BSF

Explorer
Mega Fun Rel. I have a friend that did something similar with his 10 year old step daughter. He did a little larger scale. He buried treasure in the wild desert outside of town and took her out there with a treasure map.

On a similar note, my son and I will probably head for the local corn maze tomorrow. :)

Beale Knight

First Post
That is so cool! My 2 1/2 year old is a Dora fan, and likes Blue's Clues too. I'm going to have to work something like that up for this spring.

And it's going to have to use those big foam dice we bought him last MidSouthCon!

The only thing that worries me is since he's so used to Nightmare Before Christmas and all of our extensive Halloween decour that he'll raspberry the monsters! :p

Captain Howdy

Explorer
That sounded like a fun afternoon. I remember that when I was a little kid, my Dad would tell these "man crossing the bridge stories" they started as a way to get out of telling a bedtime story, because he would say "Once upon a time, there was a man crossing a bridge. If the bridge had been stronger, my story would be longer." Then he would tell us to go to sleep. But one time we forced him to ad-lib an entire muli-night story about what happened after the bridge broke. Eventually the stories became a bedtime staple.
Anyway, I think it's cool that you take time to do stuff like that with your kid. To many parent's don't. It's not always their fault, but games and "adventures" like that are really something kids like. I bet your daughter will remember your adventures for her whole life.

CombatWombat51

First Post
die_kluge said:
Hate to sidetrack the thread, but Woas - what the HECK is the meaning of your signature? What game is that from?

I think it's from Star Tropics, an adventure game for the NES. I can't remember who that NPC is, or why he says that, though.

fuindordm

Adventurer
I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to understand that Dora is
actually an Extreme Explorer.

Good job on the adventure!

Ben

Len

Prodigal Member
Beale Knight said:
The only thing that worries me is since he's so used to Nightmare Before Christmas and all of our extensive Halloween decour that he'll raspberry the monsters! :p
Special Attacks:
Raspberry (Sp): As the spell daze.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Without going into all the gory details, the afternoon "Adventure" (this is what she's calling them now) was a big hit. We gradually, through the course of the adventure, gathered all the materials we'd need to make a fire. Then I made our first fire of the autumn in the fireplace tonight. Dinner was grilled cheese sandwiches cooked in the Pie Iron that I got last Christmas.

As soon as mommy finishes reading her a story we're going to cook some marshmallows and call it a day.

Good Saturday it was. :)

But I'm totally going to have to put together some more Adventure ideas before tomorrow...

Cathal

First Post
Dude. You rock. You rock more than Rocky McRockerson of the Rockin' Rocket Rock'n'Roll Band.

My admiration for you continues to grow...in a wholesome, non-stalker-y way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases