I just GMed my 3 year old for the first time!

yangnome

First Post
Now that you've introduced her to LARPing, are you going to start having her cast spells? Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!

Actually, this sounds like fun. I think I'll have to try somethign similar with my three year old daughter as well.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
Rel said:
But I'm now a victim of my own success. She instantly demanded another adventure "RIGHT NOW". After I explained that it takes some time to plan these things and that the earliest I'd be able to put together another adventure would be after her nap this afternoon, she considered briefly before reiterating her demand of "RIGHT NOW!!".

That's what you get for starting out with LARPing! :)

My two-and-a-half year old likes dice, but they're too distracting (rolling the dice tends to become the game itself, not just the game mechanic) so we do diceless freeform roleplaying called "Let's Pretend."

All the props you used for your Dora RPG are quite cool, though...

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Cathal said:
Dude. You rock. You rock more than Rocky McRockerson of the Rockin' Rocket Rock'n'Roll Band.

My admiration for you continues to grow...in a wholesome, non-stalker-y way.

It's a bit early for you to be sucking up this much, Cathal. I probably won't be GMing our group again for several months. ;) (Cathal is one of the players from the group I normally run games for but somebody else is about to take the GM chair for a while).

But, incidentally, I was intending on putting together some "Children Challenges" for our kids as they get a little older. Maybe next spring.

That way I'll have a whole party instead of a solo player. :) Plus I'll grab you and Riggs for NPC's. ;)

Darklone

Yeah, kids are the best munchkins :D

Edit: Mostly due to using Charm Parent (no save) at will.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Just to be clear, I am not responsible for any children that you guys have as a result of reading this thread! ;)

The latest update is that it was rainy around here a bit yesterday and that put the kibosh on any outside adventures. But that didn't stop her from insisting that we have another one. So this time we rescued a little ceramic frog from the cabinet where my wife keeps her collection of little ceramic animals.

This required a key that could only be obtained from The Tall Doggy (a little dog puppet perched atop one of the flagpoles on her little "castle tent" that's set up in her playroom). But first she had to get through The Magic Gate (that'd be the Baby Gate set up at the top of the stairs). She made it through the Magic Gate by virtue of a Magic Wand given to her by Binky the Gnome who lives in the bottom of a large potted tree in the foyer.

Once through the Magic Gate, we made our way upstairs to see The Tall Doggy but, alas, he was too tall for her to reach the key he offered so he advised her to visit the Troll Wizard down in the living room to see if he had a solution. The Troll Wizard was happy to help her in exchange for having a thorn removed from his foot, which she extracted with a pair of tweezers that she carried in her Backpack.

Thrilled to have the thorn removed, the Troll Wizard offered her two potions. One would make you really tall and the other would make you really small. She took these and immediately ran back upstairs to The Tall Doggy. She quaffed the Tall potion immediately (it was apple juice in a tiny little bottle) and I raised her up high enough to reach the key. Then it was back downstairs to discover that the Magic Gate that led to the basement was again closed.

It didn't take her long to figure out that she needed to use the Small potion to let her squeeze through the gate (the Magic Wand was a one-use item). With that done, she got back downstairs, climbed atop a stool and freed the froggy from his prison. Quest completed!

What I learned from this latest adventure was that, considering my audience, I can slap these things together VERY quickly if I don't mind winging it a fair bit. With all the toys she has accumulated over the years, it is easy to find props for the various stuff I want to include. But she does really like using the Map so I may still have to take the time to make one of those in the future.

Even though I'm unabashedly grooming my daughter for life as a gamer, my wife has been very happy with all of this. She thinks the puzzles and things that I'm coming up with are fun and good for her development. What thrills me (but shouldn't surprise me) is how naturally the roleplaying comes to her. She looks at the critter that is supposedly doing the talking instead of me. And if I'm not quick enough or verbose enough with my responses, she says, "Talk him, Daddy!"

It's a bit gloomy here right now but they say it is supposed to warm up and get sunny later today so I'd better have something worked up for when she gets home from preschool!

Alenda

First Post
Rel, it looks like your daughter has been blessed with a big imagination and a great dad. While reading the thread, I was reminded of this game my brother and I used to play when we were kids. (This was about 12 years before my introduction to D&D, by the way.)

One of us would start to tell a story, e.g. "You are walking in a heavily wooded forest in the middle of the day. You arrive at a clearing with the remains of a campfire. What do you do?" The person not telling the story would reply something like. "I examine the campfire for clues. What do I find?" The story would go on like that... one person building the adventure while the other person did the explorations. We based the idea on the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books which we loved as kids. It wasn't until I was introduced to D&D in my 20's that I realized I had been roleplaying.

I am so glad that D&D allows me to keep exercising my imagination long past childhood. From reading this thread, I have a feeling that Rel's daughter will one day feel the same way.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Rel said:
At the computer she found a treasure in the form of one of those gold-foil wrapped chocolate coins... I explained that part of her prize was pictures from all her other adventures! She was most excited about the chocolate though.

Sounds like one of my current players. :D

She instantly demanded another adventure "RIGHT NOW". After I explained that it takes some time to plan these things and that the earliest I'd be able to put together another adventure would be after her nap this afternoon, she considered briefly before reiterating her demand of "RIGHT NOW!!".

Sounds like one of my previous players. :D

Congratulations on the successful LARP intro, Rel. Before you know it, one day she'll be finagling to trade in some of her allowance for a +2 sword for her paladin character...

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Once again people at EN World raise the bar for me. I thought I was doing well this weekend when I was the dragon who captured the 5 year old princess. She managed to escape, but the 2 year old knight tracked her down for me - and after helping me bring her back to the cave he then proceeded to slay me and rescue his big sister - two year olds have no sense of loyalty whatsover ;)

Of course now, thanks to Rel, I realize that I have to move beyond hack-n-slash. Hmmm, her birthday party is coming up Saturday - I wonder if I can whip up an adventure for her and her friends to go on if the weather is decent. Of course I'll have to adjust the EL for a party of 8 to 10...anybody know the CR of a giant teddy bear?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases