I just GMed my 3 year old for the first time!

Henry

Autoexreginated
Thornir Alekeg said:
...Of course I'll have to adjust the EL for a party of 8 to 10...anybody know the CR of a giant teddy bear?

CR 5 with pull-string voice box, CR 4 without. This means you'll have to use at least two regardless. :)

Naathez

Explorer
I cannot possibly say how deeply I bow in front of you all, and what you do with your kids... and in front of your kids for their wonderful imaginations...

now I simply have to convince my wife that it IS time to have a baby... :D

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Great story, Rel. I'll have to do this with my daughter!

My wife & I have been wrestling with character levels for Dora, et al. She seems pretty unassuming (2nd level commoner), but but does some epic stuff (catching stars, using a Phrase of Power to chase off Swiper all the time, negotiating diabolic ancient temples). We're pretty much aggreed that Boots has some levels in barbarian or monk; Dora's parents wouldn't let her do all that stuff without a capable bodyguard, I'm sure!

And don't get me started on Blue, who must have some sorcerer levels...

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Just for the record, while these adventures are "Dora inspired", I'm not really trying to stick too closely to the pattern used on that show. Thus, I'm not trying to impart any foreign language (I don't speak much Spanish anyway) and so forth and there have been no appearances by Swiper. But I needed a jumping off point for the concept and Dora was perfect for this. And I certainly intend to continue to encourage her to watch the show.

It's funny, I was thinking that I could start a thread called, "All I ever really needed to know about Adventuring, I learn from Dora the Explorer". For example, it would sometimes make life as a GM easier if the players would be as goal-focused as Dora is. Can't you hear them plotting out the path they need to take to their objective?

"Bridge...Cave...TALL MOUNTAIN! Bridge...Cave...TALL MOUNTAIN!"

I'll post later if I get a chance and let you know how the afternoon adventure went. I'm thinking about having a Treasure Chest in this one...with a TRAP!

ledded

Herder of monkies
Great stuff, Rel.

I too started my son down this path when he was around three.

We did similar things to this, and the culmination of the first year of this was his fifth birthday party.

We had it at a big park that has a monstrous gated play area, and the day before my wife and I went and created/planted clues. The whole thing had a pirate theme, and each 'station' where the children figured out a clue, they were given a small piece to their pirate costume (headwrap, eyepatch, spyglass, earring, little foam sword, etc). Extra points went to those children who stayed 'in character', i.e. acted like a pirate. They split into teams and each team was sent after a different 'quest' at the start. Each one of the quests was either to figure out a visual clue on the playground from a riddle, or to get a certain object that could be found around the playground.

It was a blast. Several of the parents thought it was weird at first, or that their kids wouldnt get into this kind of play, but they all took to it and imaginations went wild. Of course, I dressed up like a pirate and gave them the 'briefing' before the start in my best piratey voice ("Yaaarrr, dis be Black Jack Jim, and ye are ta find me treasure...") which set a nice tone, and I continued to stalk around the playground "in character" acting like a pirate.

At the end was an actual pirate chest full of little toys, candy coins, jewelry, etc that the successful could dig a big handful out of. I was the most successful birthday party we ever threw, and beat the crap out of Chucky Cheese. The parents were *amazed* at how deeply immersed the kids were, and most of them went home brandishing their treasure and talking like a pirate for days afterwards.

Since I paint miniatures, for a long time my son would have me spray his plastic cowboy and army men and then he would sit beside me and paint them with watercolors while I painted my minis. Finally he really wanted his own and then discovered the joy of heroclix. We started simple, just opposed dice rolls and they walloped each other. Gradually I started introducing more complexity and encouraging him to act out his actions and think his way through things.

Several weeks ago we were playing and he decided on his turn that he would use spider man to create a big web on a lightpole, then the Hulk would snatch it out of the ground and drop in on two of my guys like an improvised net so he wouldnt have to hurt them to capture 'em. He did this while imitating Peter Parker and the Hulk in voice, alternating between making smart-alec comments and roaring like Mr Big Green and Ugly. I had nothing to do with this improvised approach (he believes in house rules as much as I do), and I was so proud I nearly cried :).

Great job Rel. It's amazing how much joy you can get by these little games, and it's also amazing how much of an effect they can have on your kids. I've recently started introducing my 3-year-old twin daughters to this kind of play and they are taking to it like a duck to water.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Here I've been thinking I'd start my daughter when she was 5 or so. She's four, now, and I'm suddenly feeling very behind on my duties as Geek Daddy (tm).

Of course, I should have known that she was ready when she made her mother feed her a "healing potion" after "the dragon killed me" a few months back. Funny thing is that we don't use dragons very often in our game, so I'm not sure where she got that from. I'm not sure where her imaginary "snakes with wings", that follow her around, came from, either.

Hmm... in rumenating while typing, I'm starting to think my daughter will either be an astoundingly great author/movie producer/actress or in an insane asylum.

Terwox

First Post
This thread sure did make me smile a lot.
Keep it up, folks.
Hmm, people say this is wonderful for the children -- this is wonderful for you and your children. :)
Too cool, everyone. Thanks for starting the thread, Rel.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Terwox said:
This thread sure did make me smile a lot.
Keep it up, folks.
Hmm, people say this is wonderful for the children -- this is wonderful for you and your children. :)
Too cool, everyone. Thanks for starting the thread, Rel.

You're quite welcome! I knew it would be fun to share and I've really enjoyed hearing about the other similar experiences you guys have had with your kids.

I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but I'm thinking of weaving these adventures into an entire "campaign". Obviously she's a bit too young to get into very complex plots, but I'm thinking about a sort of "Rod of Seven Parts" approach where we use a puzzle and have to find all the pieces. Maybe plant one piece in each adventure and when the puzzle is done, we celebrate somehow.

I'll be giving that some more thought but, if anybody here wants to colaborate on it to share with the kids in your life, we could share digital props via e-mail.

Remove ads