I just released the next public playtest of Hexingtide, my RPG of Minimalist Monstrous Roleplaying!

WillPhillips

Explorer
View attachment 54872

PWYW Downloads on Itch | Playtest Signup

Looking for a change of pace in all this One D&D & OGL chaos? Think a game of Minimalist Monstrous Roleplaying might be fun?

I'm excited to share that the 3rd public playtest of my game HEXINGTIDE is now live!

- - - - - - - - - -

The Elevator Pitch:

If you like the monster adventure stories like those in Hellboy, the World of Darkness, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and other pop culture monsters, and want a rules-light, heavily thematic TTRPG exactly for those stories

- - - - - - - - - -

Rules Summary:
  • Full color 40 page zine (5.5" x 8.5" US half letter sized)
  • Brand new, rules-light rules set - not a hack or SRD
  • Mechanics laser focused on the themes of monster stories like Hellboy & the World of Darkness, focusing characters' abilities (Powers), their inhuman vulnerabilities and threats (Portents), and how they remain tied to the mundane, mortal world of humanity (Pacts).
  • Point-buy character creation using open-ended, player-created descriptions - combined with double-edged attributes and status effects
  • Implied worldbuilding in the magic system of Chymoi - inspired in part by MtG's Color Wheel, Pokemon types, and Chaos from the Warhammer universe
  • Unified, rules-light approach uses the same attributes for characters as a way to describe environments and scenes.
- - - - - - - - - -

About this Playtest Update:
For those familiar with the rules, here's a summary of important changes:
  • 8 new pages of requested player and GM guidance, including an example of play
  • Refined double-edged dice attribute: befitting the minimalist instincts of the game, a character's Inhumanity becomes the focus rather than the three narrative attributes of Danger, Hardship, & Isolation used in the previous playtest
  • NPC reactions to these monstrous PCs have been given simple rules
Read more here:
Hexingtide Playtest 3: NOW AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD - Hexingtide (Early Access) by Will Phillips

- - - - - - - - - -

Support further development and art with PWYW downloads on Itch:
https://willphillips.itch.io/hexingtide

https://airtable.com/shry2SLqZ4ijAW9og

- - - - - - - - - -

Additional Links:

You can find me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/willphillips. Also feel free to reply or DM here if you have questions!

Greggy C

Hero
Its not the kind of game I would play.
But its the kind of game I would buy just to read, because of the very nice presentation, but I would only want a hard copy.
So maybe do a kickstarter later for a print run.

WillPhillips

Explorer
Its not the kind of game I would play.
But its the kind of game I would buy just to read, because of the very nice presentation, but I would only want a hard copy.
So maybe do a kickstarter later for a print run.
Totally fair and I appreciate the kind words.

To be honest, y'all don't want to trust me with the detail work and tedium of order fulfillment.

So I'll be reaching out to indie publishers to see if there's any interest in the hardcopy side of things.

Remove ads