• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I know that this is tough for some...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FadedC

First Post
I actually find that people carry less baggage with them going from 3e to 4e then they carried with them going from 2e to 3e just because the 4e rules are so much different. When 3e came out (and well even 5 years later) I had to constantly remind people that just because spell X worked like that in 2e doesn't mean it does anymore in 3e. In 4e so much has changed that I most people would be surprised if spell X in 4e worked remotely like it did in 3e.

This isn't a value judgement, just an observation.

IceFractal

First Post
I don't see how having a different interpretation of the rules, or even twisting the rules to get an advantage, is having a 3E mentality. If a rule is twistable, it'll be twistable whether the players are from 1E, 2E, 3E, or have never played D&D before.

And also ...
do the frontal lobotomy
:confused: You need a frontal lobotomy to play 4E right?! I think I'll pass.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
First of all, I have to second the idea that 3.X isn't "junk." I'm still totally up for playing a 3E/3.5 game. But then again, I'd play 2E, 1E, OD&D, old World of Darkness, the FASA and Last Unicorn Games versions of Star Trek, and the West End Games Star Wars as well. Just because it isn't new doesn't mean that it can't be fun.

Second, "manipulating the rules" is not endemic to 3.X players that are crossing over to 4E. Players like that are called munchkins or rules lawyers, and they exist in every game. They've been around since before 1E and they'll be around for 5E, 6E, and so on.

Third, there's a major point that you're not addressing, but some of the other posters have: if there are different ways that that same rule could be read, it's not written clearly enough. Look at the longsword, for example--it does 1d8 damage. Now, if instead, the rules said, "a longsword does more than 1d4 damage but less than 1d12," would you think that players are trying to "manipulate the rules" by using different dice for the same weapon? Or would you think that the rules aren't written clearly enough? All the rules should be written clearly, reagrdless of being in 3.5 or 4E. And it's certainly not the player's fault that a book was poorly proof-read and edited.

Craith

First Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

Just because you CAN break something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

If there are 2 interpretations, one does about the same as comparable abilities do, one is vastly superior/inferior, I don't have to think twice which one they intended.

There are unclear rules where it is not so clear, but many of the loopholes which are OMGsobroken(TM) are things I would never purposefully misread in such a way, and hit my players (characters) hard if they tried something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads