D&D 5E I like 5th Edition! The D&D Next Positivity Thread

fjw70

Adventurer
I love DDN. I like all editions of D&D but none of them are close to being my perfect edition. DDN's best-of-D&D approach (with some cool new stuff added in) is very appealing to me.

Every edition has its gems and warts and DDN seems to be pulling in a lot of gems and getting rid of or minimizing the warts.

Gold Roger

First Post
After being out of loop for a while (life being what it is), I really want to play the current package.

I think the thing I'm still most excited about are backgrounds and, to a lesser degree, specialties. It's just such an easy way to create customized and interesting characters. Just pick a combination like commoner wizard or spy and fighter and you know there's an interesting story somewhere in there without a 3 page backstory about prophecy and dead parents (yeah, pet peeve raising it's head).

Roland55

First Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I think it's WAY - WAY - WAY too early to be anything but optimistic. There's so much time before they issue a new edition that anything and everything can change.

And I prefer to live an optimistic life.

When possible.:)

gyor

Legend
Likes: The monk, the warlock, the sorceror, backgrounds, the previous specialities, the previous verisons of channel divinity, expertise dice, flatter math, modular approach, the idea of legacies, subraces, subclasses/builds.

Treebore

First Post
I see tons of promise, but I also see tons of possibilities that would totally screw it up for me. Unfortunately none of us know what the final version is going to look like. So in the mean time I will just keep play testing and offering our feedback and keep hoping for the best.

If nothing else, I am hopeful that I will be able to build my own version of "Next" that I will like out of all these play test PDF's, if WOTC's version ends up being a bust for me.

If that doesn't work either, I will definitely be happy to stick with Castles and Crusades. Sticking what I just have to have in my C&C house rules.

So I don't see this being a waste of my time on any level, I am going to get something good out of it.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I said last spring, and still believe it -- there will be two or three decent games to be made out of the leftovers from this effort (with some judicious sharing of elements between Next and those other possible games). That is, I think there will be some pretty nifty parts that simply don't end up working in Next, probably because of some other nifty parts that are mutually exclusive.

How about this. I don't like it now. However, I have all faith that I will like it when they fix a few issues (eg stealth rules, elves getting 1d10 longsword instead of just finessing them at 1d8, human racials, duelist damage, many spells) and they start rolling out the modules (narrative/gamist non-combat resolution, thematic powers/AEDU) that cater to my creative agenda and playstyle preferences.

Remove ads