D&D 5E I like 5th Edition! The D&D Next Positivity Thread

darjr

I crit!
I love open playtests.

I love many of the rules in the playtests, I'll have to come back later to iterate them.

I love the adventures they've included! Thanks!

I love the goals of the designers, design a game that supports a lot of styles of play, trying to cover styles from every edition of the game.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I am really excited by the whole playtesting process and how D&D Next is shaping up as i said in my Playtester Profile interview.

As Jeff Carlsen said:
D&D Next is shaping up to be exactly what I'm looking for: A simplified d20 system that addresses the problems I have with both 3rd and 4th editions and that has some of the feel of 2nd.

Grimmjow

First Post
I love DDN. its so much fun. Mini-campaign here to

the only thing i don't really care for thats been around for the last couple play tests is specialties. I would like to see them go back to play test 1, themes. With themes we would be able to have way more feats (lycanthope, half-vampire possessed character and other goodies.)

I like the expertise dice, just concerned about the added time it will take.

I find that this hasn't been a problem. The only way i can see it taking time would be whirl wind attack and the like. but even that seems to be a pretty fast thing (one attack roll for all of them, then different damage)

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I am very excited about the process and I'm glad to be a playtester. I like how WoTC is trying new things...sometimes even testing extremes to see what people really think. The process will last for a long time, so it is too early for anyone to say what the final product will actually look like.

I like the direction the rogue is going...especially since Mearls said that rogue would probably get a 1d8HD and a boost to sneak attack (lots of comments about that in the WoTC forums and here).

I think the fighter is nearly done...and it is an exciting class to play.

I like the idea of Domains/Dieties that flavor the Cleric (more variety needed).

I like the idea of Wizard Traditions although tweaking is necessary.

Core mechanics of action resolution and combat are easy and fast. Awesome. Combat is fast and furious (monsters will be tweaked so I can't complain about them not hitting enough).

Like many have said in this thread...there is a lot to like...but most importantly, I think that the Google Hangouts Session and the latest L&L article show how Mearls and Co. are really serious about using the feedback they get from survey and boards. Their ability to communicate using Google Hangouts and the articles is improving too. That's definitely a positive.

Go D&DNext!

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I liked about 75% of where they seem to be going. If they can maintain anywhere close to that with a modular system, I'll be estatic with the finished product. But of course as it gets closer to done, there will be more bloat, too. In any case, we played again this last weekend with the latest rules, and had a blast.

I can't help but think there is an elegant way to finesse skills that they have not found, and probably won't, given that it would require some departures from what has gone before. What they are driving towards now is the Rules Cyclopedia sensibility welded to a unified d20 mechanic. They could do a lot worse. Still, I can't shake the feeling that we'll be left a bit underwhelmed by the final skills.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
Still, I can't shake the feeling that we'll be left a bit underwhelmed by the final skills.

I think that's unavoidable. We're seeing too much of the process over too long a period to be anything but sober when the game launches. But, there will probably be some nice surprises, and with any luck the final product will be a solid game bound in a work of art.

Remove ads