• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I lost an eye! (or, how to handle one-eyed characters in d20) CRUNCH

Storme

First Post
In 1977 my assassin (back when it was a COOL class) lost his eye to a badguy. For the next six month, he had a -2 penalty to hit. For the following -1. After a year, no penalty. For this game, give him -2 spot, -1 attack until he gains a level, then drop the penalty.

It is possible to overcome such a limitation.

In this world, in the SCA, Sir Gemini, a seriously awesome fighter, one of the best, won the crown tournament for the Kingdom of the West. He has one eye.

Storme

Last edited:

Eidalac

Explorer
Hrm.

I'd give him a -2 to to spot & ranged attacks and give flankers a +1 bonus against him for 1 year (at the most) or one level, which ever comes first. The adventure types tend to high resilience, unless you are playing a very gritty game, that type of loss can be overcome easily enough.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Moniker said:
Obviously, there are real-life drawbacks (such as loss of depth perception). Are there any alternative rules out there on how to handle the loss of an eye in d20, or any recommendations for rules to reflect the loss of an important organ?
As a sidenote: Loss of depth perception isn't that bad. One of my eyes is near-sighted, while the other is far-sighted. According to my doctor, my depth perception is impaired, unless I'm wearing my glasses.

And my experience: Yes, there IS a difference (with/without glasses), but if your lack depth perception, you tend to orient yourself by looking at the size vs. expected size of objects and by "perspective", i.e. you read distances from the way stuff is distorted due to distance (just as painters paint pictures, just in reverse).

If I had to run around with only one opened eye, I'd be bothered much more by the decreased field of vision (due to the ridge of the nose) than the loss of depth perception.

But then, I developed that during my childhood (when I was about 9 - 10 years old), so a recently lost eye would have a different impact, as I'm used to that.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads