I love AD&D

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
I can still feel the AD&D love too. I would still play or run it if I could find a local group. I offered to run OD&D/BD&D/AD&D or any retro-clone on our gameshop messageboard, and no luck. I have enough BD&D/AD&D gamebooks to supply a table of 5 players too.:.-(

Oh man, I totally missed this. Why don't you offer up over at TheDelversDungeon and see if anyone will do a pbp? I'll give you the forum for it.

darjr

I crit!
I love AD&D 1e Psionics. I really do. I loved how my players could never quite understand what the deal was with them and so it was always weird and mysterious. OK, it is weird and mysterious to me to, but that's why I love it.

I never quite ran it by the book, cause my other players would riot while they waited. But I'll never forget those times when Sheards character would get that far off glazed look and every one else just KNEW mind flayers were afoot. (even if they were way not high enough level yet)

Grimstaff

Explorer
I'm currently running Swords & Wizardry in the Wilderlands, but after showing off my new printed copy of OSRIC the other day, we're talking about a marathon AD&D one-off of ToEE's moathouse.:)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

T1-4 is good, but honestly, for in your face ass-kicking unstoppable AD&D awesome, you cannot beat G123 AGAINST THE GIANTS. Yes, it takes seasoned characters to play (and win!), but leveling them slowly through N1 AGAINST THE CULT OF THE REPTILE GOD, then a truncated SLAVERS campaign (A1,A2 and A3) plus emphasizing that they need some handy men at arms, and the GIANTS series is really, really top of the heap.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

T1-4 is good, but honestly, for in your face ass-kicking unstoppable AD&D awesome, you cannot beat G123 AGAINST THE GIANTS. Yes, it takes seasoned characters to play (and win!), but leveling them slowly through N1 AGAINST THE CULT OF THE REPTILE GOD, then a truncated SLAVERS campaign (A1,A2 and A3) plus emphasizing that they need some handy men at arms, and the GIANTS series is really, really top of the heap.
What you suggest is fine for a blast-through 1-2 year campaign, but if you slow down the level advancement a bit (say, cut the ExP-for-treasure in half) there's room for tons more fun in there and a fine long-lasting campaign.

A side trip, for example, to Lost Caverns of (unspellable) and-or Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun could fit in between Slavers and Giants. And any number of enjoyable low-level adventures (Rahasia leaps to mind as one) could slip between N1 and the start of Slavers...

Not to mention whatever homebrew adventures you write or 3rd-party adventures you find (there are quite a lot out there, both old and new) that catch your eye as ways to kill...er, I mean challenge, your stalwart party. :)

Lanefan

Treebore

First Post

I love 1st edition AD&D. I do. I think it's a fantastic game system. It is the best D&D I've ever played, and I've played them all. Gary's writing is awesome. The default assumption of GREYHAWK throughout the mainstay of the system's publication is awesome, too.

Once you get the flow of the rules organization, finding things in the rulebooks (on the occasions they're needed) is a snap.

The modules are great, and I really like the artwork.

1st edition AD&D is my favorite RPG. It isn't the only one I play, nor is it the only one I like, but it's the one I like the most, and the D&D I'll play given the chance.

1st edition AD&D rocks.

I love my house ruled AD&D!

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
What you suggest is fine for a blast-through 1-2 year campaign, but if you slow down the level advancement a bit (say, cut the ExP-for-treasure in half) there's room for tons more fun in there and a fine long-lasting campaign.

A side trip, for example, to Lost Caverns of (unspellable) and-or Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun could fit in between Slavers and Giants. And any number of enjoyable low-level adventures (Rahasia leaps to mind as one) could slip between N1 and the start of Slavers...

Not to mention whatever homebrew adventures you write or 3rd-party adventures you find (there are quite a lot out there, both old and new) that catch your eye as ways to kill...er, I mean challenge, your stalwart party. :)

Lanefan

A Hickman module? In MY AD&D? Don't make me bring the Pimp Hand, lanefan! :D

No, that's a good track too, and offers equal amounts of awesome. I'm just so enamored of G123 that I want people to play it right now!

:)

Oh man, I totally missed this. Why don't you offer up over at TheDelversDungeon and see if anyone will do a pbp? I'll give you the forum for it.

Thanks for the offer, but for me it can't be memorex, it's gotta be live.:)

Too much is missing to feel like a D&D game, even if it uses an awesome set of rules. Shared junkfood, spontaneous dialogue, that moment of pure awesome when everyone at the table cracks the same joke. This is the stuff you can only get FTF.

A live old school game WILL happen one of these days. I will be patient and accept no substitutes. :)

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer, but for me it can't be memorex, it's gotta be live.:)

Too much is missing to feel like a D&D game, even if it uses an awesome set of rules. Shared junkfood, spontaneous dialogue, that moment of pure awesome when everyone at the table cracks the same joke. This is the stuff you can only get FTF.

A live old school game WILL happen one of these days. I will be patient and accept no substitutes. :)

I understand completely; it pains me that our remote player can't be here with us and I'd find it maddening to try and herd that many people over a connection. PbP is kind of like that - you as the DM want the action right now (and other players do, too), so the slow response time is...well...slow!

Remove ads