• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love AD&D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just to kick this most excellent thread up to the 100-reply point so it gets the neat little orange ball to the left of the listings... :)

Part of what makes 1e so much fun is the sense of mystery. The DMG and MM are intended to be off limits to players, as is anything on the back (i.e. DM's) side of the DM screen...and while astute players can eventually figure out the math behind the system if they want to, the emphasis is not put on doing so, leaving a clear field for immersion, story-telling, mule-kicking, or any desired combination of these.

Lanefan

Part of what makes 1e so much fun is the sense of mystery. The DMG and MM are intended to be off limits to players, as is anything on the back (i.e. DM's) side of the DM screen...and while astute players can eventually figure out the math behind the system if they want to, the emphasis is not put on doing so, leaving a clear field for immersion, story-telling, mule-kicking, or any desired combination of these.

Lanefan

Off limits? Players peeking into the the sacred tome of the DM were regarded as somewhat less than worthy of an honorable death!! :)

One of the greatest strengths of AD&D was flexibility. There were so many rules and subsystems that could be included or excluded as desired without having to rework the whole system. Sometimes we used the training rules and sometimes not. The weapon type vs armor type modifiers were played with very briefly then skipped and the games kept running smoothly. Looking back at all the cool stuff that was optional, I see AD&D as more of a build your own game kit than a regular game system, at least it was for us.:lol:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of the awesomeness of AD&D comes from the modules. When you're playing S1 TOMB OF HORRORS or S4 LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCONTH you really feel (as a player) that you're hanging it out over the edge. No super-powers are going to save you, only by careful planning and executing that plan well (and some lucky dice rolls!) can you best the DM in the GREAT mods.

Ulrick

First Post
The weapon type vs armor type modifiers were played with very briefly then skipped and the games kept running smoothly.

I used those modifiers for an AD&D game. They did slow down combat a little bit. But players liked how the modifiers made each weapon unique. The game took on a more medieval feel. PCs used swords against lightly armored brigands and peasants, and large hacking weapons like 2H swords and halberds against knights and other heavily armored foes.

Agamon

Adventurer

As I mentioned earlier, a lot of the awesomeness of AD&D comes from the modules. When you're playing S1 TOMB OF HORRORS or S4 LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCONTH you really feel (as a player) that you're hanging it out over the edge. No super-powers are going to save you, only by careful planning and executing that plan well (and some lucky dice rolls!) can you best the DM in the GREAT mods.

While I wasn't personally a fan of the puzzle-style modules, I agree with your fundamental point. The 1e adventures really ran the gamut. The Secret of Bone Hill, Ravenloft, Vault of the Drow, Against the Cult of the Reptile God and Tomb of Horrors were all uniquely different experiences that helped make the game fun for everyone.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
While I wasn't personally a fan of the puzzle-style modules, I agree with your fundamental point. The 1e adventures really ran the gamut. The Secret of Bone Hill, Ravenloft, Vault of the Drow, Against the Cult of the Reptile God and Tomb of Horrors were all uniquely different experiences that helped make the game fun for everyone.

They did. Their genius was their adaptability; their...dare I say...modularity.

FriarRosing

First Post
All this talk makes me want to try an AD&D game. I ran a Rules Cyclopedia one for a while, but my players found the combat too dull (which was probably mostly my fault--I think I needed more gripping descriptions). I got some AD&D books recently since they were so cheap and I figured they'd be a fun read, and I may crack them open for a game. I may try to get my hands on a classic module and run them through that. I have Against the Giants as a PDF I bought a while back, but Temple of Elemental Evil sounds more interesting. It's a shame all of that PDF nonsense had to go down before I could get a hold of it that way. :-(

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
All this talk makes me want to try an AD&D game. I ran a Rules Cyclopedia one for a while, but my players found the combat too dull (which was probably mostly my fault--I think I needed more gripping descriptions). I got some AD&D books recently since they were so cheap and I figured they'd be a fun read, and I may crack them open for a game. I may try to get my hands on a classic module and run them through that. I have Against the Giants as a PDF I bought a while back, but Temple of Elemental Evil sounds more interesting. It's a shame all of that PDF nonsense had to go down before I could get a hold of it that way. :-(

T1-4 THE TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL is a tough nut to try and crack your first time out of the gate with AD&D, even with T1. G123 AGAINST THE GIANTS is a more straightforward campaign, and may be better suited to trying out the first time. Regardless, if your players only have second hand (and worse, negative) information on AD&D then have a non-game game session where you sit down and hash out how it all works first. Or get ready to send a lengthy email or letter or whatever to them explaining a lot of things. Assuming they are experienced gamers, or can at least put aside their conceits regarding previous-versus-current rules, then by all means, have at them!

(And remember, if you do play T1-4, stick the knife in up to the hilt and break it off.)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Nobody makes it past the moathouse without casualties of some kind. :)
I still remember what happened the first party that I run through the module nearly 20 years ago... after a tough fight in the dungeon of the moathouse where one or two characters had died and the rest were wounded, the party inexplicably decided to rest in the dungeon, without posting guards. :confused:

Talk about a short adventure...

Remove ads