• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love AD&D

Falstaff

First Post
Not just that, but all the OSRIC stuff is for First Edition. Check out Expeditious Retreat Press for the Advanced Adventure line. About 8 or 9 modules right there. Kenzer has done a couple, too.

And if you expand out into the other retro-clones for OD&D and Basic, there's a lot more that works with virtually no conversions. Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, and BFRPG modules are all highly usable.

Knockspell Magazine contains OSRIC material on a roughly quarterly basis along with Swords & Wizardry (0e) and other clones, and Dragonsfoot has a free e-zine called Footprints with tons of new resources for 1e.

There's a heck of a lot of new material out there.

(I forgot Guy Fullerton's Fane of Poisoned Prophesy, for example).
(and I forgot Fight On! magazine, which is a bit more 0e, but still usable with 1e).

Every read this mag?

Fight On! magazine - Home Page

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I'll add my voice to the chorus praising the 1e AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide as one of the greatest FRPG books of all time.

As Mythmere mentioned, there are many new things available for AD&D (and AD&D-compatible games, like OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Swords & Wizardry, etc.).

It's not a bad time to be into 'old school' games! :cool:

On the "rules reference" thing…

I think the 1e DMG is a rules reference, but it's also an "information dump" from Gary on how to think like and be a DM. That means sometimes the DMG is laying out rules, but other times, it's Gary providing advice, example, and guidelines on how to rule on certain situations. Sometimes the lines between those areas aren't clearly demarcated, and Gary's authoritative tone can cloud it even further.

In the case of the poison saving throws and monsters, I see the DMG as saying: the rule is that poison attacks require a saving throw vs. poison. And then Gary saying "...however, keep in mind that the specifics of the situation might create an exception." He's saying that the DM should consider the source of the poison and the target of the poison and make a judgment. The main purpose isn't to provide a rule on whether specific creatures are immune to poison attacks; it's about providing advice to the DM on how to rule on the situation.

Even more formal rules are often presented in this light (i.e. this is the general rule and these are ways to handle exceptions and corner cases).

Odhanan

Adventurer
Yes. The DMG isn't just a rules book. It is also a discourse, or rather, a conversation from one DM to another. It's a coaching guide. It's a toolbox full of fascinating references, and hooks to build a healthy DM culture, and leaves you wanting more, pushing to research well outside the sphere of RPGs for inspirations, explanations, definitions, referential materials and more.

It's hard to understate the fantastically versatile nature of the DMG's contents. It's one of Gary's masterpieces, and a masterpiece of role-playing games in general.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Those are fine points, but I also know that if I hadn't the Mentzer "red box" to fall back upon, I would have had a lot of problems in running AD&D back when I started...

Particle_Man

Explorer
I have a fondness for 1st ed., as well as B/X. Alas, it is hard to get any of my friends to try it out, at least at this time. The closest I can get is, maybe, Castles and Crusades. I have a friend in another city that ran it. Maybe he will agree to a one-shot.

I did just buy the RC and a bestiary for it. At least I can read them. :)

And I totally did not know about swine and poison saves. And I thought I knew that book! :)

Remove ads