• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I love AD&D

the Jester

Legend
I love 1e so much that it is turning out to be the backbone of my ideal dnd system (which I am working on slowly, and am calling "DnD Jazz Edition").

Crothian

First Post
I almost got to use 1e in my last 3e campaign. The setting we play in has been used throughout most of the editions of D&D. I was going to have them travel back in time and then give them 1e versions of their characters since those were the rules of the setting at that time period. It was going to work poerfectly since all the PCs were of race class combinations allowed in 1e. I was going to buy everyone a copy of the 1e PHB for reference.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I too am completely enamoured with AD&D 1st edition. There just something . . . raw and creative and evocative about it. It allows an awesome kind of freeform rp with fast slick combats, its modularity, its art . . . sigh.

I have never had a problem finding things in the books, there is an excellent flow to it if you just sitting down to read it, and if your not doing that there are excellent table of contents. If you've ever had probablems findings something . . . your probably not looking at the table of contents.

@ Aus_Snow, I too would leap at the oppurtunity to play some 1e. Its hard to keep and game together when you keep moving around, I don't suppose your in Toronto . . .

Obryn

Hero
Oh yeah! I agree that the classic modules of the 1e days have never been matched, much less surpassed. They provided just the right amount of detail and just the right amount of crazy to make a memorable experience.

They're also great, because much like with 3e's Sunless Citadel and 4e's Keep on the Shadowfell, they present a common experience for players in different games. You can compare and contrast how far you made it in Tomb of Horrors; discuss strategies on tacking the Moathouse; or talk about your encounters with the Kuo-Toa. It's a great common ground that's shared by an astonishing number of gamers.

jbear

First Post
It's the game I began playing when I was 13. I have very fond memories of those times. My father is an envangelist and I had been strictly warned never to play any game called dungeons and dragons as it could lead to posession and mass murder.

I remember sleepless nights huddled around candle light with my friends, playing quietly as possible so my parents wouldn't wake up and catch us, exploring worlds of pure magic. Actually now that I think about it, it was the only time I actually got to play, and not DM.

Aaaahhh, the good old days.

The Shaman

First Post
Of the editions of D&D I've played, 1e AD&D is my favorite.

If I enjoyed fantasy roleplaying games more, I'd probably be in a regular game right now.

Starglyte

Explorer
I started with RC D&D and then moved on to 2nd edition. While I enjoy running 4th edition, 2nd will always have a special place in my heart. I been trying to get my group to let me run a campaign, but no luck.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It's tied for favorite with me - I love 'em all, really. But I've had many fond memories, both as a kid playing in campaigns long past, and recent memories as I've introduced new faces to the cool parts of AD&D, and rekindled interest among long time gamers in various convention games.

I still have an old three-ring with all my previous AD&D characters in them - Linnaeus the Druid (the most twinked out character I ever owned), and Baxian, Swashbuckler of the Heplahnen Guard (the character I most enjoyed playing), you are both missed, as are the people in the groups we played in.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
It's still my favorite edition of the game. I still use as many settings and rules as I can get away with even in 3E and 4E. Nothing has inspired my RPG imagination more than the original DMG and the fantastic modules of the day. Greyhawk is still home nearly thirty years after I started there.

One new wrinkle of late is using the minis I bought for 4E to play a 1E game.

If the characters keep dying, I may have to drive up I-74 and help Obryn's group. :)

Remove ads