I love AD&D

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

THE TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL is quite a module, that's for sure. I like much of it; some of it, especially the elemental nodes, I'm not particularly fond of.

I played in a good part of it a few years back and the then-DM cut the Elemental Nodes out completely and instead used some of his favorite modules (X1 THE ISLE OF DREAD and U2 DANGER AT DUNWATER stand out in my mind) sending us around Greyhawk looking for various bits and clues to stopping the evil.

Alas that group broke up before the conclusion.

I am DMing the module now.

After this I hope to send the party to the Lortmils on a run through WG4 THE FORGOTTEN TEMPLE OF THARIZDUN and S4 THE LOST CAVERNS OF TSOJCANTH. Really, those two modules together could have been sold as a boxed set with little more added and been just fine as a sort of GREYHAWK CAMPAIGNS or a set that focused on the abovementioned mountains. They're that good.

I also hope to cap the campaign off with Paizo and Rob Kuntz's most excellent MAURE CASTLE/WG5 MORDENKAINENS FANTASTIC ADVENTURE. I'm told Rob did some additional work on "side treks" for DUNGEON Magazine, and I'm entirely sure I can convert them to AD&D with little to no problem.

All of that is inclusive in the awesomeness that is AD&D and THE WORLD OF GREYHAWK. More to love.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I can still feel the AD&D love too. I would still play or run it if I could find a local group. I offered to run OD&D/BD&D/AD&D or any retro-clone on our gameshop messageboard, and no luck. I have enough BD&D/AD&D gamebooks to supply a table of 5 players too.:.-(
So, where are you? I've an open seat if you're anywhere near Victoria BC...

I cut my teeth on AD+D a very long time ago, and have been playing or running (or both) the same system pretty much without a break ever since. Other editions or games come and go, and occasionally a good idea rears its head long enough to be snitched and adapted in to our system, but this is and always will be the game for me. :)

And best of all: the recent "retro-clone" resurgence has people writing and publishing system-compatible modules again!

Lan-"chaotic random"-efan

Obryn

Hero
THE TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL is quite a module, that's for sure. I like much of it; some of it, especially the elemental nodes, I'm not particularly fond of.
The nodes are a ways off, assuming we make it that far. :)

I've had to change up my original plan, though - I had started with an idea that all new PCs would start at 1st level. While it's a good goal, I don't think it will work for this specific circumstance. It would be fine for a full-scale campaign, but this game is specifically for playing Temple of Elemental Evil. As such, a near-TPK right before the party enters the Temple ... well, it kills off the whole campaign concept, sadly.

I think they learned their lesson from the near-TPK, and each of them is starting with about half what they had before - somewhere around 5000 xp at start.

I know, I know. I'm a wussy non-Gygaxian DM. :) But half the reason I'm running this is because I wanted to run Temple of Elemental Evil. The other half is because I wanted to run AD&D. If I'm not doing both, I won't be completely happy.

-O

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
The nodes are a ways off, assuming we make it that far. :)

I've had to change up my original plan, though - I had started with an idea that all new PCs would start at 1st level. While it's a good goal, I don't think it will work for this specific circumstance. It would be fine for a full-scale campaign, but this game is specifically for playing Temple of Elemental Evil. As such, a near-TPK right before the party enters the Temple ... well, it kills off the whole campaign concept, sadly.

I think they learned their lesson from the near-TPK, and each of them is starting with about half what they had before - somewhere around 5000 xp at start.

I know, I know. I'm a wussy non-Gygaxian DM. :) But half the reason I'm running this is because I wanted to run Temple of Elemental Evil. The other half is because I wanted to run AD&D. If I'm not doing both, I won't be completely happy.

-O

You seem to have come to grips with the problem admirably; I think there's a juncture at which a near total party kill must be dealt with in an "efficient" manner. Certainly lining a number of 1st level characters up behind the survivor(s) where they can only hope not to be wiped out again is one way of doing it, but, as you point out, just prior to facing off against Iuz, Zuggmetoy, or any of the other powerful creatures in the Temple with one or two strong and a bevy of weak characters becomes wholly untenable.

In a long-term campaign, clearly, the survivors should take the new cohorts under their wings and find safer environs to delve! A trip downriver to N1 or the like would be in order (with of course the wise DM appropriately restocking the Temple dungeons, perhaps the surviving members meting out some vengeance against the innocent folk of Hommlet in the meantime); but again, I think you're going about it correctly.

Or, to turn an internet phrase...YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT.

Obryn

Hero
Or, to turn an internet phrase...YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT.
Oh, I feel definitely that it's right for my game. :)

It's just, you know, I had goals. One of them was, "I will be a bastard."

As far as I'm concerned, though, since I mercilessly killed off most of the party while half of them were pretend-petrified, and the other half were held, I think I've been a bastard quite enough. :)

-O

spunky_mutters

First Post
I'll always have a special place in my heart for B/X where I had my first games...

but the 1e AD&D DMG made me a DUNGEON MASTER! I haven't looked back since.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

For the record, I think I should point out that my "first" D&D wasn't any version of the rules; the closest would be the J.E. Holmes edit of "Basic" D&D (you know; blue cover, dragon menacing wizard and fighter...or vice-versa, anyway). I had no idea what D&D was and only the vaguest possible idea what a role-playing game was. I was sort of-kind of introduced to the concept by my schoolmates at the time (this was 1980/81), and I thought "okay, you buy these modules and you're all set..."

So I bought (or, rather, pestered my perplexed parents to buy me) B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS - a fortuitous choice, because thanks to its inclusion of several key tables, and heaps of advice to the nacent DM, I was able to divine some kind of playability out of the thing, and so it was for quite a while until I had an amalgam of rulebooks, including but not limited to a DUNGEON MASTERS GUIDE, MONSTER MANUAL, MONSTER MANUAL II and DEITIES & DEMIGODS, occasionally using my copies of the Dave Cook/Tom Moldvay edits of basic D&D as a guide for the things I was missing (e.g., a PLAYERS HANDBOOK.

I also didn't have many modules. The gratis copies of X1 THE ISLE OF DREAD and B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS (now made confusing by the shift of rules from Dr. Holmes' version to Mr. Moldvay's edit), and a copy of A1 SLAVE PITS OF THE UNDERCITY.

I only played a tiny bit, and the group I did game with was, to be very frank, completely :):):):)ed in the head - but that's a story for another time.

Point being, in '99 I'd gathered up what I'd missed out on and the things that I'd had, and I found it all as awesome as I'd hoped and remembered.

Art, rules, modules, all.

FriarRosing

First Post
I've never played AD&D, but owning the 1st edition Dungeon Master's Guide, and I can say it is one of the best books for any game. Even beyond all of the tables and information, I've never read a game book written with such passion for the game and Dungeon Mastering. It's super cool.

Obryn

Hero
I've never played AD&D, but owning the 1st edition Dungeon Master's Guide, and I can say it is one of the best books for any game. Even beyond all of the tables and information, I've never read a game book written with such passion for the game and Dungeon Mastering. It's super cool.
Yep! It's a great collection of essays, more or less.

I hate to say that it's tough to actually learn the rules from it, and the organization is more stream of consciousness than topical, but it's one of those books where the author's personality and enthusiasm just kind of leap off the page. As I mentioned, I can't thumb through it and not want to sit down and roll some dice. It's got plenty of goodies, both insightful and downright bizarre.

Looking at it through a modern gamer's eyes, I'm glad I had OSRIC around to spell out the actual rules a little better, but nothing will ever really replace my demon-cover DMG with all my tacky little 80's stickers in it, collected from supermarket vending machines all through my childhood.

-O

Remove ads