I love AD&D

Obryn

Hero
I think the attack rolls are, probably, better in 2e than in 1e. They have similar progressions, but it's almost shocking how slowly non-fighters' chance of hitting increases in 1e.

I'm used to 3e (where your chances of hitting are often 95% at higher levels with initial attacks) and 4e (where it usually hovers in the 30%-70% range) nowadays. In 1e, your chances are much, much lower most of the time. Often, it's around 20% or so at low levels.

-O

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
I think the attack rolls are, probably, better in 2e than in 1e. They have similar progressions, but it's almost shocking how slowly non-fighters' chance of hitting increases in 1e.

Yes, but those classes are doing things other than Fighting, which is the province of Fighters. :)

But this is sailing dangerously towards "Let's compare 1e AD&D to 2e AD&D" which is beyond (my, anyway) desired scope of the thread. :)

The Shaman

First Post
Two years ago thanks to the efforts of a member on these boards in the Philippines I was able to buy unopened copies of D1-2 and D3 which I believe are Gary's finest. The writing is simply outstanding. His ability to capture the feel of the what is now known as the Underdark and the subtle and overt evil of the drow and their society as made all the more astonishing by the absence of art. Gary did it all by the power of his writing.
Shrine of the Kuo-Toa is one of my favorite site-based adventures, and introduced one of my favorite monsters to spring on adventurers.

Vault of the Drow was much more than an adventure. It was a campaign setting, filled with the seeds for scores of adventures. The merchant and noble clan rivalries, the unholy war, the denizens of Erelhei-Cinlu - just fantastic stuff.

rkwoodard

First Post
I like

I love 1st edition AD&D. I do. I think it's a fantastic game system. It is the best D&D I've ever played, and I've played them all. Gary's writing is awesome. The default assumption of GREYHAWK throughout the mainstay of the system's publication is awesome, too.

Once you get the flow of the rules organization, finding things in the rulebooks (on the occasions they're needed) is a snap.

The modules are great, and I really like the artwork.

1st edition AD&D is my favorite RPG. It isn't the only one I play, nor is it the only one I like, but it's the one I like the most, and the D&D I'll play given the chance.

1st edition AD&D rocks.

I like AD&D, not my favorite not the most played, but I really like it.

The modules just totally rocked. Reading the Intro to Ghost Towers of Inverness and the Intro to White Plume Mountain gave me enough inspiration to build a whole campaign (I made the two mages into one and the same). I never got to run it.

And re-reading the PHB last year, I was stunned at an implication that I had always overlooked.

Half-elves and Half-orcs have the same alignment probablities. That resonated with me. WOW, 1/2 elves should be mysterious and not auto-trustworthy.

Thank you for the thread

RK

Obryn

Hero
So, quick question about D123 I'll ask here, since sadly Gary isn't around to ask anymore...

What gives with those hilariously bad PC names? :) (No offense intended to the ENWorld posters Philotomy Jurament - the best name among them, fwiw - or Fonkin Hoddypeak. But Fage the Kexy? Beek Gwenders? Really?) My own theory is that they were random keypresses with extra letters added in for pronunciation. :)

-O

The Shaman

First Post
So, quick question about D123 I'll ask here, since sadly Gary isn't around to ask anymore...

What gives with those hilariously bad PC names? :) (No offense intended to the ENWorld posters Philotomy Jurament - the best name among them, fwiw - or Fonkin Hoddypeak. But Fage the Kexy? Beek Gwenders? Really?) My own theory is that they were random keypresses with extra letters added in for pronunciation. :)
Link.

Remove ads