I made a 3D in-your-browser D&D encounter map-maker!

battlemapp

Making battles better since 2020
Here's a boss fight between my party and an Adult Black Dragon. I reduced visibility in the fog and the players ended up running from this one:

I've been updating BattleMapp for a couple of months now and although similar to other map-makers out there, it's a bit different because it works straight in your browser.

I describe it as a "sketching tool" for those DM's that want a quick and dirty way to get an encounter going online. As you can see, it is very simple, quick and easy to make a pretty cool map for your players to get lost in.

Patreon Subreddit Youtube Twitter

This is how I use it in my Friday night games:

- Load up Zoom and start the session with my players.

- When an encounter begins, I load up BattleMapp in the browser and sketch out the battle area. This takes about 30-seconds. Imagine sketching out a map on a piece of paper IRL: the players need an idea of layout, distances and character/enemy placements.

- I share my screen via Zoom so the players can see the map.

- I ask for the initiatives and note the combat order on the "notepad" feature in BattleMapp.

- I ask for their actions in turn and I move the counters around the map.

- I roll the 3D dice in BattleMapp because the players find it exciting to see it landing on those natty 1's.

- Once combat has finished, I stop sharing my screen and move on with the game.

BattleMapp premium adds bells & whistles - various prop models, token avatars, effects etc... But you can run an encounter perfectly well with the free version.

Let me know what you think!

pogre

Legend
This is really neat. I would use this a lot if I did not already run extra cams on my zoom for terrain and miniatures. I still may try to use it for situation maps. Thank you for sharing!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hmmm I have real life DEMs *digital elevation maps would be cool to be able to upload that kind of thing to create surfaces.

Remove ads