• No, like bonuses shouldn\'t stack in race creation

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • I\'m not totally sure

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Poll closed .

DWARF

First Post
Why shouldn't the bonuses stack?

Okay, so you have an elvish tiefling. So a regular human based tiefling will have 12-13 dex and an elf also has 12-13 dex. Problem is, you're dealing with magic, not just genetics here.

Alright, see if you can follow this logic. Humans have Dex scores of usually 10-11. If they are a tiefling, they have a trace of planar magic in them, which raises they're average Dex scores to 12-13. Therefore, if you take an elf who's race has an average Dex of 12-13 and make him a tiefling, shouldn't that infusion of planar energy make him get a Dex score of 14-15? I think it should.

Basically, you're extrapolating a "tiefling" template by comparing an average human to an averge tiefling. If you had an elf half-dragon and a human half-dragon, you'd let the elf's dex bonsus stack, right? (Okay, I don't have my MM and don't know if the Half-Dragon template gives a Dex bonus, but you get what I'm saying...)

DWARF

First Post
Ace32 said:
Tieflings as in the Monster Manual are specifically the descendents of human-fiend unions. Now, if you made an 'elf tiefling' you have created yourself a half elf, half-human/fiend mix. It'd be much more beneficial to deconstruct the tiefling race, essentially removing the human side, and making it a tiefling template.

Not necessarily. I think what he wants is to make the descendants of a half-fiend elf and other elves.

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Problem is, you're dealing with magic, not just genetics here.

Humans have Dex scores of usually 10-11. If they are a tiefling, they have a trace of planar magic in them, which raises they're average Dex scores to 12-13. Therefore, if you take an elf who's race has an average Dex of 12-13 and make him a tiefling, shouldn't that infusion of planar energy make him get a Dex score of 14-15? I think it should.

I never really thought about it like that, even though another person in my group said something to the same effect, only now does it make sense.

But if they do get a +4 Dex what would the ECL be(here comes the contraversy) +2 or +3?

DWARF

First Post
Well, you thought the "sixth sense" on the doors pushed it to ECL +2, so adding a bit more dex should leave it at that. It's not enough of an advantage to change the ECL a whole level, IMO.

Remove ads