Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, like bonuses shouldn\'t stack in race creation

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • I\'m not totally sure

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Poll closed .

Lord Ravinous

First Post
When a person wants to create, for instance, an Elvish Tiefling, should like-bonuses stack or not? Such as a +2 dex from each race, should that be a +4? Or should it stay a +2 Dex.

I don't think they should, because similar genes wouldn't stack, for instance if a male body builder and a female body builder had a child, when the child reached adulthood, that wouldn't mean he would be as strong as his parents combinded.

This post is in the interest of realism and game-balance.

What do ya'll think? And why.

Last edited:

Ace32

Explorer
Tieflings as in the Monster Manual are specifically the descendents of human-fiend unions. Now, if you made an 'elf tiefling' you have created yourself a half elf, half-human/fiend mix. It'd be much more beneficial to deconstruct the tiefling race, essentially removing the human side, and making it a tiefling template.

Crothian

First Post
If you take the teifling and everything it gets and you add it to an elf and everything it gets, you are not making what you think you are making. You need to take the half elf/teifling and then get rid of about half of the stuff starting with the good.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Let's see. The average dex for an elf is 12-13 (that's +2) and the average dex for a tiefling is 12-13 (that's +2) then the average dex for a tiefling/elf would probably be 12-13 (that's +2). But if a dwarf (60 ft dark vision) and a half-orc (60 foot dark vision) had a child (ugh!) who thinks the offspring should have 120 foot dark vision?;)

Zhure

First Post
What he said.

A "+2" actually indicates an average score two greater than normal. Combining two races that are +2 isn't the same as a race with a +4.

Greg

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Thanks all, I knew i was right. And about what Croth said, i dont necessarily think that a Half-Elf Tiefling is what fits best. Cause the race is straight elf except for the Infernal heritage, now if it were a half-fiend that would be different IMO, if you would explain why half elf makes sense. But if its a balance issue I can see what your saying, I'm looking at this from a simply flavorful standpoint.

Lord Ravinous

First Post
Infernal Elf

How does this look?

Infernal Elf-(+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha; Cold, Fire, and Electricity Resistance 5; Darkness 1/day; +2 Bluff, +2 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Search, +1 Spot; "sixth sense" for magic doors; Elvish Blood; Native Outsider; Favored Class: Rouge) +2 ECL

Possibly a +1 ECL because it has the -2 Con to make up for the +1 to search, spot, and listen. The only thing that would push it to a +2 ECL is the "sixth sense"

Thought?

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
Re: Infernal Elf

Lord Ravinous said:
How does this look?

Infernal Elf-(+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Cha; Cold, Fire, and Electricity Resistance 5; Darkness 1/day; +2 Bluff, +2 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Search, +1 Spot; "sixth sense" for magic doors; Elvish Blood; Native Outsider; Favored Class: Rouge) +2 ECL

Possibly a +1 ECL because it has the -2 Con to make up for the +1 to search, spot, and listen. The only thing that would push it to a +2 ECL is the "sixth sense"

Thought?

Between the resistances, spell use, +7 on skill checks, and outsider I would say +2 is more accurate.

Lord Ben

First Post
Teifling is only +1, the Elf only adds some racial bonus's to listen, etc and you get a -2 con. They even each other out in my book.

What is it's favored class? Still Wizard, still rogue?

Remove ads