I need quotes!

Darklance

First Post
.I need to turn in a senior quote for my year books...and its due in a few weeks.

I've been scavenging my favorite books, movies, etc for quotes. I've liked hundreds in the past but I'm not having much luck finding any.

So...what famous quotes from whatever source have impressed you? They can be funny, serious...history, fiction...whatever. Thanks for you time

Last edited by a moderator:

Maerdwyn

First Post
I like Twain. Many of his famous quotations would be appropriate. Others like the one below, might not be appropriate for a senior book, but are great just the same. :)

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him." - Mark Twain

http://www.twainquotes.com/quotesatoz.html

BluWolf

Explorer
Some of my favorites:

“Reason and the ability to use it are two separate skills.”
Franz Grillparzer

“It takes time to persuade men to do even what is for their own good.”
Thomas Jefferson

“The rules of drinking games are taken more serious than the rules of war.”
Chinese proverb.

Try looking here:

www.bartleby.com/

Last edited:

Maraxle

First Post
"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it."
John Lennon

"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
Willy Wonka

"You can observe a lot just by watching."
Yogi Berra

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream.
Wandering by lone sea breakers, and sitting by desolate streams.
World losers and world forsakers, for whom the pale moon gleams.
Yet we are movers and the shakers of the world forever it seems."
Arthur O'Shaunessey

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
The "sound and fury" bit's from Macbeth, V.v.26-28, if you're curious (nice quote, too!).

from Hamlet (some personal favorites, which I might have used, but may not make sense for you, but just for kicks...)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." (II.i166-67)

"There is special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be [now], 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it [will] come — the readiness is all. Since no man, of aught he leaves, knows what is't to leave betimes, let be." (V.ii.219-24)

In fact, I used a Woody Allen quote for mine:
"It's not that I'm afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

and, also from Mr. Allen,
"Some people look to achieve immortality through childbirth, I prefer to achieve immortality by not dying." (this might be a little off as I'm recalling it from memory...)

F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise
"I know myself, that is all —" (Yes, that's it with the dash...if you know where to find it in the book, it'll make more sense.)

Hmm. There are others. I can't think of a lot right now off the top of my head.

Bartlett's Familiar Quotations is a great place to look (I'm assuming it's online somewhere, but your library is sure to have a copy if your family or someone you know doesn't), as long as you know what you're looking for when you open it up. :)

Anyhow, have fun with it, Darklance. :)

Best,
tKL

Clear Dragon

First Post
I may have thought that you can deduce theories from experiments, but it's nonsense. On the contrary ... theory tells you what it is you should be observing. -- Albert Einstein

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- Albert Einstein

I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy. -- Richard Feynman

If I could explain it to the average person, I wouldn’t have been worth the Nobel Prize. -- Richard Feynman

Reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

No one can stop me from drawing Gaussian surfaces no one can stop me from doing anything. -- Samir Mathur, my Electrodynamics professor

Cedric

First Post
Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.

Stephen W. Hawking

Cedric

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Oh...for the purely whimsical:

Steve Martin, in L.A. Story:
"There comes a time in a person's life when it's now or never. It's now or never! Let me read to you from this book of poems: 'O pointy birds, o pointy pointy. Anoint...'"

or, if you like, John Cusack in Say Anything...
"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

[Edit/mini-Hijack — Incidentally, if you haven't seen Say Anything..., it's a spectacular movie and somewhat appropriate if you're getting ready to graduate from high school anytime soon. Not to mention, it might be the king of all date movies, although it definitely holds up on it's own. Just my opinion, though...;) L.A. Story's worth seeing, too.]

Really, I'm done now...;)

Best,
tKL

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases