D&D 5E "I Prefer for My 5E D&D Campaigns to Have a Pre-Determined Ending Point" (a poll)

True or False: "I Prefer for My 5E D&D Campaigns to Have a Pre-Determined* Ending"

• True.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • False.

Votes: 73 84.9%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Here is the premise for today's poll (poll #16 for those who want to keep count). . .

True or False: "I Prefer for My 5E D&D Campaigns to Have a Pre-Determined* Ending"

* "Pre-determined" can mean, "when we reach a certain level," "until a certain date or number of sessions," "when we complete an AP, a certain number of adventures, or achieve a particular in-game plot goal" etc. . .

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Unless I'm running an adventure path, which I don't prefer to do, I have no idea where the end is. It only starts to come into focus well into the campaign.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I said false, but that is because I have not quite found the right sweet spot in 5E yet. In, PF1 it was usually running APs to about level 12-14 range and then calling it quits. I don't quite have a 5E equivalent to that yet.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
That's a no for me - we play a campaign until it feels like a natural retirement point for the characters. That could potentially be at any level and might end up leaving plot threads that we thought would end the campaign open.

delericho

Legend
True, sort of. I'll have an ending in mind going in to the campaign (likely including a level range, a final adventure, and maybe some other things), but that never survives first contact with the PCs - and that's absolutely fine.

Larnievc

Hero
Here is the premise for today's poll (poll #16 for those who want to keep count). . .

* "Pre-determined" can mean, "when we reach a certain level," "until a certain date or number of sessions," "when we complete an AP, a certain number of adventures, or achieve a particular in-game plot goal" etc. . .
I always have an end in mind when I plan a campaign. But I also have a back door in case the players want to keep going. But typically by that time they want something new.

OB1

Jedi Master
False. I typically have an idea of where a Tier might go, but the next tier will be determined by what the players do in the current tier. I could never have predicted the end of either of my 1-20 5e campaigns at the start.

Oofta

Legend
I run a very player directed campaign. If I throw in stuff about a city dominated by vampires and they don't follow up on it, well that sucks for the citizens of the city. The campaign just won't follow that thread.

I generally plan on going up to level 20, but that's up to the group as well.

Remove ads