I ran my first Epic session last Sunday

pemerton

Legend
As the title says, I ran my first Epic session last Sunday.

It commenced with the PCs having just finished an encounter. They were (and still are) in Phaervorul (from P2 Demon Queen's Enclave). I have eliminated a lot of the cruft, trying to reduce it to a few interesting elements - the Mindflayers (I pluralised them), the slightly mad drow wizard, the two drow factions (soldiers; temple folk) and the demons and Orcus cultists. Given the PCs entered the outpost at 20th level, I've also upped the level of everything a suitable amount.

After crossing the bridge (which involved dealing with vrocks and haures demons as well as some spiders and wight minions) they found and dealt with the mindflayers (giving the dwarf the chance to raise his concordance with Whelm by beating up on the troll) and then met and treated with the wizard before going to the soldiers' barracks to recruit them as allies.

With their allies in tow, they started exploring the ruined areas on the left side of the map ("behind" the barracks), trying to get the lie of the land and also looking for clues to help with shutting down the Abyssal breaches. (I pluralised them too.)

In fairly short order they ended up in the ruined house with the blood pool and Orcus statue that anchors the breaches. The wizard/invoker started trying to shut that down (as a skill challenge), while the other PCs dealt with a sudden assault of enemy forces - a Husk spider from behind and waves of ghouls and mezzodemons, plus a flying nycademon and arctide runespiral demon attacking from across the bridge to the next ruined building. The previous session ended with the wizard/invoker succeeding, and the other PCs beating up on all the Abyssal forces. (And they had done all of the above on a single pool of daily resources, so were pretty depleted in surges and powers, except for the two defenders.)

In the break between sessions I was looking through my copy of E1 Death's Reach and found nice stats for a ghould horde, plus a Portal Thing consisting of coagulated blood necrotically transformed into an ooze. I decided that these looked like fun, and so started the Epic session (the players had been told to turn up with their 21st level sheets - a midencounter transformation!) with the blood in which the invoker was standing coagulating around him and lashing out with its tendrils, while the other PCs got swarmed by a final rush of ghouls up the sides of the cliff they were standing next to: a 21st level and 22nd level elite, against PCs low on daily resources and who had only the encounter resources that they hadn't spent in the prior 22nd level encounter.

In their depleted state the PCs felt the pressure early - the invoker/wizard dropped, but the paladin revived him by laying on hands (I think he spent 4 of his 5 LoH over the course of the session). The boost in damage was noticeable for both strikers - the sorcerer having a net +7 gain from +3 overall stat gain, +1 from his Focus feat and +3 from his Epic Destiny; and the ranger doubling his Twin Strike dice plus getting 3 dice of Hunter's Quarry plus testing out his new 19-20 crit range. They did get to benefit from their drow allies, however, with the party's dwarven warleader calling in archery support as a minor action (+23 vs AC area burst 2 in 15 for 4d6 damage, +10 for being an area attack against a swarm).

One bit of the session that I enjoyed, though, didn't have a lot to do with crossing the mechincal threshold to Epic, although relevant story elements were in play.

In the previous session the players had mostly managed to keep their PCs unbloodied so as not to trigger the nearby Abyssal breach, but in this fight there was a lot of bloodying going on. The Abyssal breach only attack bloodied targets but can attack through blocking terrain (I was still granting -5 to hit for total concealment), and on a hit removes the target from play (they get temporarily sucked into the Abyss!).

The first PC to end up in the Abyss was the drow chaos sorcerer/Demonskin Adept who reveres Corellon but is also a Primordial Adept of Chan (the elemental queen of good aeiral creatures). When he arrived in the Abyss he had about 12 hp left, and had been planning to second wind on his turn. The player enquiring whether there was anything he might do while temporarily trapped on the Abyss, I asked whether in his thoughts he would reach out for connections to chaotic forces. I didn't really need to ask - the answer way "yes." I told him he felt a caressing breeze, and he rolled an Arcana check and hit a medium but not hard DC. So I told him he could not be sure what it's source was. Being a chance-taking drow he decided to "embrace" it nevertheless - at which point I let him have his second wind, and also informed him that the breeze came from Yan-C-Bin, elemental prince of evil aerial creatures. (Had he rolled less than a medium DC he would have been decieved into thinking it came fro Chan; on a hard DC he would have discerned the truth.) So now the drow has internalised a bit of his elemental patron's nemesis, which should be interesting in the future.

The next PC to end up in the breach was the invoker/wizard. As he got sucked in he made a skill check to try to understand its structure (so that he could destroy it in the futre) and - now being a Sage of Ages with +34 or so to Religion checks, and +29 to Arcana checks - he succeeded spectacularly, and thus commenced the process of closing the breach from the inside. This produced some colourful narration plus some more excellent rolling from the player, who decided that the PC would stay inside the breach and try and close it rather than let it spit him back out. The breach then hit the paladin, who ended up inside it with the invoker/wizard and contributed one success to the skill challenge by lighting it up with his radiant weapon - when the challenge was concluded by the wizard/invoker on his next turn both PCs fell from the sky where the breach was the 50' back to earth, which knocked the paladin unconscious (but he was revived with a potion).

The player of the invoker/wizard has become very proactive with his skill challenges, and his use of powers to augment his skills (eg he burned the use of his Circlet of Continuity to help him make effective skill checks while trapped inside the breach; in the eariler session he used Thunderwave and Rebuke Undead to help destroy the form and power of the Orcus statue). He has the Expert Ritualist feat and is fairly liberal in his intepreation of what counts as using a skill in a ritual (ie he does not confine himself to rituals in the technical sense), and on that I've been happy to follow his lead: he was applying the bonus in his checks for the challenge both against the Orcus statue and agasint the Abyssal breach.

In any event, after the two PCs tumbled back to earth from the closed breach, the others finished off the ghouls and the party reunited. Feeling very weary, they returned with their drow allies to the barracks to spend the "night".

Storminator

First Post
Sweet. I like how everything is tied to the PC so there's no irrelevant parts. And epic level PCs that fall from the sky? Perfect.

My game is just nudging into Paragon.

PS

Pour

First Post
I love to read play reports, especially in the tier I'm running.

I definitely appreciate the immense skill modifiers PCs have by this point, and I've actually ended up loosely implementing an Impossible check, around +10 more than a Hard check. I only pull it out for, say, wards on a god's inner sanctum or when the party wants to go back in time without rousing Yog-Sothoth. That said, I'm trying to embrace the "fail forward" philosophy a little more, so all of these checks really only ever inform the gradation of achieving their goal and how many, and what kind, of complications might be added.

Would you be adverse if I posted my play reports here as well, kind of an Epic repository? We just turned level 25 this Tuesday and have begun a heavily-modified Fane of the Heresiarch (less save or suck, stylized as the sanctum of a renegade ex-death god). I think a thread Epic DMs can go to as a resource might be worth it.

pemerton

Legend
Would you be adverse if I posted my play reports here as well, kind of an Epic repository?
Not at all! Go for it - from your posts I think in some ways at least you're pushing the system harder than me and my group, and I'd love to hear about what you're doing and how it's working out.

Sweet. I like how everything is tied to the PC so there's no irrelevant parts.
Thanks. Keeping that focus on the PCs is a big deal for me. And semi-related to that: I see a lot of posts that contrast combat and RP. I hope my post showed how RP - who the PCs are, what the players care about in their PCs and in the broader situation - is very much a part of the combat/conflicts that I'm running.

Quickleaf

Legend
Great writeup [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] ! Looking forward to others sharing their epic tier 4e play reports. I have never been exposed to epic tier in 4e, so it's eye-opening.

Balesir

Adventurer
If you don't mind kibitzing I might make use of this thread, too. My seven player/character party will be entering Epic soon, and I'm soliciting intentions for Epic Destinies so that I can start planning/priming for the "Destiny Quests". Death's Reach has one or two nice ideas, but naturally no player has selected a "vanilla" ED so far!

When I first read about them, Destiny Quests seemed quite daunting - to make them suitably epic without being cheesey - but actually I'm finding that ideas flow and strong character play feeds into that, reinforcing the themes that come out of the backstory and the Epic Destinies themselves. Reading about others' experiences, choices and issues will be very useful, though, I think.

pemerton

Legend
It's not entirely clear to me what the designers intended for Destiny Quests - are they a prelude to Epic, or are they the subject matter of Epic? I'll be going the second route, I think.

So far the only PC whose transition to Epic has been overtly narrated in game is the invoker/wizard who is a Sage of Ages - the character is a deva, and in the pre-Epic session he used his Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes during his attempt to destroy the Orcus idol and rolled a maximum result, which I narrated in a suitably vivid way (and I've often used MoaTL as a device to introduce other interesting backstory stuff around the relevant memory). In the Epic session, I drew on that previous maximum result and said that, for the first time, the PC had full and constant access to all his memories - explaining the +6 from Sage of Ages, and also providing an ingame excuse for making high knowledge checks without any ingame souce or research being required to explain where exactly the info is coming from.

Balesir

Adventurer
It's not entirely clear to me what the designers intended for Destiny Quests - are they a prelude to Epic, or are they the subject matter of Epic? I'll be going the second route, I think.
Yeah, it was very unclear, but I kind-of got the impression it might even be after/at the end of the Epic tier. The Epic modules (I know you have Death's Reach, at least) give some more clues as to intent - the "Hooks" sections have minor quests that can link in Epic characters with different destinies, some of which are fairly cool (I like the Demigod one, in particular, even if the exposition suggestion is a bit funky).

I think I'll be using them basically this way - as a set of "prerequisites" to be met for the character's final "retirement" as a greater being.

Prism

Explorer

I would say it could be either or both. In our epic campaign for example one of the characters has been in contact to various degrees with Asmodeus throughout paragon which has built to the point at which he chose the prince of hell epic destiny upon reaching 21st. The decision was left up until the end when he choose to take up the 'offer' of immortality. Since that point, two of the first epic adventures have revolved around this story. I would imagine many more throughout the epic tier will follow as the character establishes himself within the ranks of the Hells.

In a similar vein our rogue turned cleric has become a Chosen of Gond and out first epic adventure revolved around that progression. I'm sure Gond has many more quests for his would be Chosen before he can sit by the side of his God in relative peace. This Gond tie in has also been building for many levels without it being known that the player would choose that particular destiny. He could have gone a different direction completely

However my character has chosen a destiny that has so far been low on back story. I should get my first adventure of relevance at 23rd level (ish) when I get my next class feature. Effectively he is not following his own destiny yet but for the time being assisting the others with theirs. You could say the character does not yet know what his destiny actually is or if he even has one

All in all I imagine the majority of the early adventures will revolve around this discovery aspect of the epic destiny, however something much bigger (already vaguely hinted) awaits later to cap off the tier and immortality/retirement in a suitable fashion

Pour

First Post
Tuesday night my players reached level 25.

I’m running a modified Fane of the Heresiarch mixed with the final chapter of Tomb of Horrors and my own content to create an Epic dungeon-adventure called “The Purgatory Siege”. While I appreciate the fourthcore philosophy (I use the nightmare damage chart instead of the MM3 math, for instance), I’ve opted to remove all save vs. death effects and instead work with something called necropotence (the module itself calls it blight).

Necropotence: The Siege is full of corrupting influences that wither the flesh and defile the spirit. To that end, many monster attacks, traps, and other hazards will inflict one or more points of necropotence. You can sustain a number of points of necropotence equal to 6 + your Wisdom or Charisma modifier, whichever is greater. If your necropotence total reaches or exceeds this limit, you die, melting away into bubbling black ichor. The Remove Affliction ritual can be used to cleanse 5 points of necropotence from an affected character.

Combined with forced death saves, healing surge drain, massive damage, severing of all long distance communication and teleportation, and a shortage of time, I’ve achieved a satisfying mood/tone/pace. I’m not against extended rests, but there will be consequences for taking them, likely an increased difficulty for the remainder of the dungeon (both to represent the delay and to make up for the party’s resources replenishing).

Background
The Purgatory Siege is a glorified dam set on top of the River of Souls, preventing any who die from reaching their appropriate eternity. This lack of fresh soulstuff in turn threatens to extinguish the sun due to setting-specific cosmology. If that happens, it’s game over.

The Siege also provides a PC the opportunity to achieve her game-long ambition. She is a fallen angel of death (refluffed Deva Bladesinger with a fly speed and necrotic resistance) that once attempted to overthrow her death god for suspected aberrant corruption and failed miserably. She has spent time over late Paragon and early Epic doing solo and small-group side-games meeting objectives related to this goal, things like regaining the respect of those angels she took with her in the fall, commissioning a siege-worthy force (a machine army not unlike 40k Necron), and in the main game acquiring worthy allies (the party) to make a second go.

After a jaunt in the City of Brass, she also managed to acquire the death god’s divine spark. She technically could be considered the new goddess of death, still slowly coming into her power. I liken her predicament to being a displaced queen without a crown, throne, or country. The ex-god still holds all the territory, minions, and effects of godhood, including his most prized possession: The Gate, which all judged souls must pass before entering Heaven or Hell.

Given an aberrant invasion menacing the campaign in the next few months, there is no time to just ‘wait it out’ until her apotheosis is complete. Similarly, there is no time to lay siege to the battlements for what could be years. They need to muster their armies as a grand distraction, then use the rituals, items, and alien technology available to them (that’s a whole different thread post) to infiltrate the fortress.

Play Report
We began by drawing rumor cards, customized for the Siege. Players were a mix of confused and unsettled. The rumors are all cryptic and do not allow for additional lore checks, and my group is not used to playing a game with so many puzzles, traps, keys, clues, and dungoneering. They took it in stride, and began to appreciate the rumors the deeper we went.

After the party launched their armies, we moved to a skill challenge for infiltrating the Siege. I’ve tried to keep the “fail forward” philosophy in mind when it comes to skill challenges, having enjoyed the momentum of Trail of Cthulhu and 13th Age. Given these are Epic characters and they had enough to deal with on the inside, I decided determine the conditions in which the party would arrive by marking them on a range from total success (completely undetected), partial success, partial failure, and total failure (a waiting party of enemies). Despite two Impossible DCs thrown in (+10 from Hard checks), the party managed to slide in with a total success. They entered via a combination of varied rituals and the deft manipulation of the alien ship our PC psion controls.

Once in the watchtower, the party spent time discerning portals, sigils, faint magics, and a strange central device called the Standing Stone which mapped a solar system and constellations unfamiliar to the party. Some thievery and discussion discerned six planet-sized spheres were required to unlock a portal to the Gate.

Through prolonged speculation, tinkering, and lore checks, they also managed to discern that the stone depicted their solar system prior to the Old Gods which were, by all modern doctrine, the first and only creators. However, the PC ardent had begun suspecting that the phenomenon of life was almost generational, and that the coming of the aberrations marked the death of a current pantheon and all the worlds and civilizations tied to it. There was a balance to this, for other stars existed elsewhere with new gods, worlds, races, and civilizations. They, in turn, spawned new stars and Life continued on. Unfortunately, back in mid-Paragon the stars began blinking out as their last light reached the worlds, and by Epic there wasn’t a single star left in the night sky. From everything the PCs have gathered, their solar system is the last occurrence of life in the universe. When it is gone, the Void is all-encompassing forever more.

Faced with either taking stairs down into the bowels of the Siege, or using a sparking tile suffused with teleportation magics, the party chose the more mundane of the two. A natural 20 on trap detecting avoided what could have been several bad spills. They eventually reached the bottom of the stair and the PC witch cast a ritual from Goodman Games' Book of Rituals, the one that allowed you to summon forth yourself one hour in the future. I love the challenge that places on the DM, balancing what to tell and not tell. Keeping in mind the future is a mess of branching paths, I gave them a few clues as to what might lurk in the next chamber, and warned the PC druid he would die if he entered the confessional. That was enough to set the tone moving ahead.

Within the Bleak Seminary, the party began questioning the demonic undertones of the Siege, things like stretched-flesh archways and pits of boiling blood. The statue of Anat, Orcus’ lover and sister, a mosaic of a succubus being ravaged by three, beastly mariliths, as well as the imps tending the books only added to their demonic suspicions. They managed to solve a multistep puzzle and unlock six ritual books that would enable them to summon two planetary spheres upon the Altar of the Seven World Trees somewhere in the complex.

They also found the dreaded confessional, with an undead confessor waiting in the box and beckoning for one to confess their sins. In the Fane, an improper confession amounts to instant death in one of those boiling blood pits. I was going to dish out some necropotence, however I gave special consideration when the PC swordmage stepped in. He’s currently in the midst of transforming into a demon prince through his own Epic storyline and it didn’t quite fit to treat him like the rest. The confessor, an acolyte of Orcus, asked him what he was sorry for. The PC started with something a good man might seek forgiveness for, but ultimately realized that he wasn’t being genuine, and that his true regret was not being able to shed these weaklings (PCs) and take revenge on his enemies as a true demonic lord. That earned him the confessor’s favor and a token of Orcus’ sympathy (a rerolling magic item). He would also answer one question, however the PC had gotten so involved with his confession he forgot some of the more pertinent questions that probably should have been asked and asked something trivial instead. So it goes.

Meanwhile, the PC ardent pissed off the imps when she began carelessly flinging books in search of more clues, and in their little rages grabbed at a very unusual book off an elevated lectern. Magic missiles ensured the imps dropped their cargo, and they darted off into other corners of the dungeon (truthfully to go get some muscle, though the PCs haven’t felt the brunt of that yet).

The PC assassin, PC fallen angel, and PC psion examined the book, only to discover it was original copy of The Necronomicon Ex Mortis. The PC assassin, also a Darklord (the Ravenloft kind), saw potential, but the psion, and most especially the fallen angel (who despises necromancy and all perversions of the natural order of death and life) saw things differently. Before either could act, the assassin used some superior smoke-and-mirrors and a menacing stealth check to slip into the seminary shadows. He learned the secret of unlocking the book before returning to the group feigning disinterest (and yet keeping it on his person). The fallen angel decided to deal with it later, kind of in the middle of sieging and all. The psion, the assassin’s love interest, ultimately decided to trust him with it.

The party then spent the next hour pouring over the ritual tomes looking to piece together the ceremony for summoning the two planets on the altar, while the others looked through the seminary books and earned a new rumor each. They also learned a little about the gods that existed in the old solar system, prior to their “Old Gods”. They were called the Merciless, and it seemed people worshipped them to placate their pettiness and wrath. I decided to use the Fourthcore gods Kishar, Kotaresh, Lyth, Asur-Segt, Naia, Marduk, Teurama, and Euryale for this because they really are so savage and cool. I’ve also devised a little twist involving their defeat which I’ll reveal in future sessions (and which leads to an even greater potential asset).

The angel and the swordmage learned the same reliable rumor stating that the suspect tile back at the watchtower may in fact be a second way to the Gate. They were willing to try it once the party was ready.

And let us not forget our assassin, who used the time to slip away and read some of the Necronomicon- which is never, ever good. I plan to tally up his readings and openings of the book, though I’m not sure for what. There is a lot going on in the Siege, various factions they’ve only begun to discover. I think the book could play a major role.

Next Game
The imps return with reinforcements, marking the first fight of the Siege. I want to build some confidence, so it won’t be terribly hard, a few gruesome-looking, low hp, low defense monsters with strong attack modifiers and considerable damage. Then the imps will attempt a second escape, and hopefully the PCs decide to intercept them this time.

From there I expect the party, ritual for summoning the spheres in hand, will try and use the tile in the watchtower as a short cut. Despite being a reliable rumor, the information is false. It will take them to the observatory, and provide the opportunity to earn treasure and learn about several hidden sites for future adventures, such as the location of other alien ships.

Reflection
The session was fun. The pace was slower than our normal games, but I liked the tone and tension. Many were afraid of touching things unnecessarily, especially odd statues or suspect murals, when they’re usually poking and prodding every little thing. That’s partially what I was hoping for. When push came to shove, however, players made choices. They were never paralyzed, just wary.

So far, they’ve avoided the pitfalls and learned lore and information pertinent to the immediate game, the wider game, and just the setting as a whole. All of this has also given me ideas on how to progress the game and the dungeon. I’ve already made some changes.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases