I seem to be missing the point on the online CB

No Name

First Post
How is this change going to make things better for me?

The way our group is setup now isn't going to change. Two of us in the gaming group are subscribers, although that may change. And only the two of us own any books or minis. The rest of the group will now store their characters on one or both of our accounts. And they still won't subscribe. So there's no real difference there. Other than needing internet. So it's a little more restrictive. Not good for me, I'm not a fan of "restrictive."

Unless Wizards goes to a "must subscribe to play" model (Dungeons of Dragoncraft), they won't get any more cash from us (and they definately won't get it then). Seeing how only one player needs to be a subscriber for everyone to access the CB, I'm tempted to cancel. Dungeon and Dragon are drying up. I don't like the online CB move. I can't store my characters offline (they're working on that - it will be available "soon" :rant:).

Honestly, I don't mind $6 a month for an offline CB and MB. I would keep subscribing just for that. I like good magazines, but I could live without them. And I'd still pay $6 a month for the offline apps. I've been a subscriber since the beginning. Only one time did I use one of the five CB installs on a computer that wasn't mine. Only once.

I guess the point is WotC thinks this move will net them more cash. It's not about making the game more enjoyable for me.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Dude, just think of how much hard drive space you're going to be saving now that your character is in the cloud!

Where's the vomit smiley?

S

Sunseeker

I guess the point is WotC thinks this move will net them more cash. It's not about making the game more enjoyable for me.

What part of WotC being a corporation, selling endless amounts of new and expensive books, minis, card-games, tools, and accessories, what part of them making an online for-pay service, made you think at any moment that their end goal was NOT the money?

If they truly wanted everyone to have 'fun' they'd give their product away.

Obviously they're not doing that so while 'fun' may be a high priority, a strong goal, the money is and always will be the real drive for them. Forgetting that leads to the attitude many people have demonstrated here of "but why doesn't Wizards just want ME to have more fun???"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dude, just think of how much hard drive space you're going to be saving now that your character is in the cloud!

That's like telling someone they're going to spoil their appetite if they have a tic-tac.

My iMac shipped with something like 1 or 2 terabytes, and I just bought a similar sized backup for a couple hundred bucks- an NPC would take up what percentage of that, really?

...or did I miss your sarcasm?:confused:

thewok

First Post
Never quite understood why this was attached to the online subscription anyway.
The idea is that if you want the data, you buy the books. OR, you play a subscription to have access to it. Until now, you paid for a month and got all previous data in the character builder to keep forever. People were getting 2 years worth of content for $10. And they might drop another Hamilton to update again in six months or a year.

Great deal for those people, but hardly fair to Wizards.

JoeGKushner

First Post
The idea is that if you want the data, you buy the books. OR, you play a subscription to have access to it. Until now, you paid for a month and got all previous data in the character builder to keep forever. People were getting 2 years worth of content for $10. And they might drop another Hamilton to update again in six months or a year.

Great deal for those people, but hardly fair to Wizards.

And what about those people that have been year long subscribers from the start?

What type of 'fair' is that to WoTC?

Or how about when WoTC pulled the PDFs and didn't let DriveThruRPG allow people to continue to donwload them?

WoTC and 'fair' go back and forth quite a bit. They're not some innocent lass in the dragon's cave.

Remove ads