• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I seem to be missing the point on the online CB

No Name

First Post
I wonder if they'll have a limit on the number of characters that an account can have stored in the cloud. Good way to keep those pesky non-subscribers away. If my account is full, I'd have to download one and then erase it from the cloud to make room for another.

I have some subscription time left, so I'll give it a look. But I'm really displeased with the way this has turned out. They may have just lost a customer.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I wonder if they'll have a limit on the number of characters that an account can have stored in the cloud. Good way to keep those pesky non-subscribers away. If my account is full, I'd have to download one and then erase it from the cloud to make room for another.

How big is a DDI character PDF anyway? And that is the largest the file can be. As data in a database, a character would be trivially small.

WalterKovacs

First Post
That's like telling someone they're going to spoil their appetite if they have a tic-tac.

My iMac shipped with something like 1 or 2 terabytes, and I just bought a similar sized backup for a couple hundred bucks- an NPC would take up what percentage of that, really?

...or did I miss your sarcasm?:confused:

Is the iMac even able to run the "classic" character builder? In addition to the obvious benefit to WOTC in terms of anti-piracy and cutting down on "take a month, get what I need, repeat when I next need to update" subscriptions, it also makes it usable on some systems that couldn't before.

Of course, they could have done it on something that would actually work on mobile devices, and it does suck that it needs a connection since WiFi is still so unreliable.

malraux

First Post
Is the iMac even able to run the "classic" character builder? In addition to the obvious benefit to WOTC in terms of anti-piracy and cutting down on "take a month, get what I need, repeat when I next need to update" subscriptions, it also makes it usable on some systems that couldn't before.

Of course, they could have done it on something that would actually work on mobile devices, and it does suck that it needs a connection since WiFi is still so unreliable.

Yeah, macs as old as 4 years can run the regular character builder. Anything with an intel chip inside can run windows.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
And what about those people that have been year long subscribers from the start?
Well, at this point it is unknown whether or not WotC will refund any subscription money to those people who are paid up through some amount of time past Nov. 16th... but PaoloM's Q&A seemed to indicate that it's something you'd be able to take up with their Customer Service department. So if you didn't want to pay for DDI if the CB was now web-only... there seems to be a chance you could get the rest of your money back for the time remaining.

If that happens... then problem solved.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well, at this point it is unknown whether or not WotC will refund any subscription money to those people who are paid up through some amount of time past Nov. 16th... but PaoloM's Q&A seemed to indicate that it's something you'd be able to take up with their Customer Service department. So if you didn't want to pay for DDI if the CB was now web-only... there seems to be a chance you could get the rest of your money back for the time remaining.

If that happens... then problem solved.

Not necessary for me. My problem with it was solved when I went to shut off the auto-renewal. My sub is expiring this month. As I've noted a few places I'll wait a few months, see if WoTC can keep THIS version updated and bug free before giving them another dime.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I wonder if I can get the balance of my yearly sub back?

Anybody know?
I'm sure you can. I'm waiting to see how good the new CB is, though. It's quite possible that it'll knock my socks off, in which case I'm happy to stay subscribed. Change is inherently scary, but it doesn't make much sense to sabre-rattle until you know what you're getting.

But seriously, guys. Silverlight?

darjr

I crit!
I'm sure you can. I'm waiting to see how good the new CB is, though. It's quite possible that it'll knock my socks off, in which case I'm happy to stay subscribed. Change is inherently scary, but it doesn't make much sense to sabre-rattle until you know what you're getting.

But seriously, guys. Silverlight?

I hear you man. It's just for me it's amounting to a last straw. I was really excited about this news until I heard it. The more I hear the less I care. I've never done the '3 months and out' thing. I've had yearly subscriptions only, with my only lapse to test and see if I fell out of the DDI group on the WOTC boards. I just get less and less enthused by the moment. Maybe, for me, it was a long time coming and this is just the thing to get me to quit.

Remove ads