D&D 5E I spent the last three years writing a complete guide to the Known World for 5th edition. Now it's done.

The Glen

Legend
Some called it a fool's errand but WOTC said that they were going to make the older settings available for 5th edition when it first got started. So I started just writing ideas down. Then the ideas started getting converted into a rough book that got hammered out into a workable format. Then playtesting got started and suddenly what was 20 pages became 60 pages. A friend I've worked with for years started telling me I needed to add art. I gave her some money and she gave me art. Old guard started asking me to address different aspects of the setting. Explain to newer players why they want to play Mystara. So went with a focus on exploration and world building, something Mystara did probably better than any of the other official settings. Sold a large amount of games to hire new artists, fired some and hired some more. Got messages of encouragement from the designers and artists that helped create Mystara which made me decide to go all in. Made the book 224 pages, full color and all the art was commissioned just for this book. Updated maps were donated by Thorfinn Tait. Marco Dalmonte made his expansive Codex Immortalis available for use (with minor editing). Mischa Cel Frumos did most of the interior art and Rubus added most of the larger pieces like this one below, "Ironwolf into Itheldown". Kept writing and editing for three years. I finally ran out of things to add and my playtesters and proofreaders finally stopped complaining. So now I'm showing it to the world. It's not available for sale until the DM's Guild opens up. They haven't done anything with Mystara, but it's been mentioned repeatedly before in the official books. Eberron didn't have official support until Keith Baker started writing his own sourcebook, and now it's official. So maybe I'm tilting at a windmill, but I figure I've done enough work on it, so I can just wait. I've waited for three years writing this, now I'm just getting the word out that's it's ready.
Page-062.jpg

The Glen

Legend
I went book by book converting as much material as I could find. I found just pages of new spells, from the utilitarian merchant spells from Darokin and Minrothad to the secret spells of the Radiance and the powerful but risky offerings from Glantri. I converted the Secret Crafts of Glantri into modifications of wizards and sorcerers, added the powerful but dangerous runes of the Northern Reaches. Mystara was known for being magic heavy, I would be remiss if I didn't live up to that reputation.

Page-190.jpg

The Glen

Legend
Races were tricky. Mystara was like D&D Galapagos, it was created apart from AD&D so there were large differences in the races available. Drow were unheard of, Mystara already had five species of reptilian humanoids so the dragonborn were superfluous. Half races didn't exist in the original canon. So I decided to stick with the canon, what you omit is often more important than what you include. So replacing the omitted races were creatures native to Mystara alone. The loyal lupin, curious phanatons, mercurial rakasta, the ponderous tortles (I had created a version before they were added to 5th edition) and the capricious sidhe are all introduced. In addition there's unique Mystara versions of dwarves, halflings and elves supplanting their kin found on other realms.

For subclasses I added dozens, 34 in total along with new backgrounds and even new factions devoted to various political goals in the Known World. I had to leave some out for space reasons I wrote so many.
Untitled Page (Copy) (Copy).jpg

The Glen

Legend
Religion in Mystara was different, the setting lacks Gods but instead reveres the Immortals, regular adventurers ascended to a higher plane of existence. The list of Immortals in the book is expansive, detailing their past, their alliances and their philosophies. The Immortals follow various philosophies and these philosophies are turned into cleric domains for their mortal followers.
Untitled Page (Copy) (Copy) (Copy) (Copy).jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases