D&D 5E I think I want to mainly dm?

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
So I have always taken turns DMing, but my campaigns have not lasted to higher levels. Often this was due to new babies being born etc!

Anyway, I have a campaign setting I have worked in since 2016. I have built terrain. I have 1000s invested in minis. I have a custom gaming table. I literally have 165 trees to scale. I have both foam dungeon walls and doors and grass mat to fill a 6’ x 4’ recessed play area. And furnishing for a dungeon that size.

I used a mapping program to start the campaign world map.

I think it is time for me to go all in. Previously, I wanted to play. Now however I like my world better that others. I think I can be the main dm.

Anyone else have a change of interest and decide to take the helm? What was your transition like?

Clint_L

Hero
Similarly to you, I like collecting and painting the miniatures and terrain. So being the DM lets me play with my toys. I also enjoy the creative aspect of writing a campaign and coming up with story ideas. So it scratches that itch, too. Ironically, when it comes to the actual game, I don't think I'm that great a DM, and I probably prefer playing. But I am expected to DM, and I get to use my stuff, so I'm pretty stuck.

I wouldn't mind if one of my players took over DMing for awhile and just let me supply the terrain and miniatures. Dare to dream.

Oofta

Legend
We rotated DMing when I first started, but then I took a break for a long time (both from playing and then when I got back into it DMing). For me, I got back into DMing because I couldn't find one that ran the types of game I wanted to play. While I like painting minis, I've never been one much for set pieces or having the things for scenes. I've played around with a few options, but either they block the view of the minis too much or simply took too long to construct. So now I have some blocks I made out of clay, along with various "tree stumps" to represent trees and other vegetation. Everything else is just drawn in quick with a dry erase marker. Ironically, the coolest set pieces were in VTT but I hate remote play so I hope to never use it again.

It took me a bit to get into the swing of DMing for adults instead of teens, and it took a bit to really figure out what my style was. Do I allow any PC option under the sun? How do I handle character death? Is a good idea to have these cool NPCs I came up with play out a fight during the game?* The only way to learn those answers is to do.

For me the biggest draw is that I've always enjoyed world building and coming up with settings and NPCs. What are the gods like? How do people interact with them? How is society different when there's not only magic, but real monsters that go bump in the night? How can I make different realms (aka planes) feel unique and different but still fit in to my overall lore and world building? What devious things can I do to torture entertain my players? That, and what other opportunity do I get to use my horrible accents and voices.

Funny thing is, I'm an introvert at heart. But as a DM, I give myself permission to be a focal point for the group and indulge in that part of me that likes to entertain. Even though I'm an introvert, because I know my role in the situation, it works. Just don't talk to me for about 2-4 hours after the game as I hide from everyone because I need to recharge for a bit.

In any case, good luck and remember to have fun!

*The answers are no, ask for group preference but it's never off the table, and heck no.

aco175

Legend
I like being the DM, but it is my brother who has all the stuff like minis and terrain. My son has received a fair bit of monster minis as well and we still use the old 3e tiles for dungeons and 4e maps from various adventures.

I DM and like to develop the campaign with different dungeons and modify the modules like the box sets. I do not have my own world like back in 3e since FR is fine for what I need.

smuckenfart

Villager
I wouldn't mind if one of my players took over DMing for awhile and just let me supply the terrain and miniatures. Dare to dream.
That's the inspiration for me there as well. I've been in a campaign for the last 2 or 3 years and we're up to level 10. Our group has had so thoroughly enjoyed our sessions, our DM is also having a great time, but I know that he would love to just bring his character sheet and his dice and just play sometime. DMing is a lot of (rewarding) work, I appreciate the effort put in by our DM such that I feel honored to step up and allow him that chance. I don't see the others taking the reigns up anytime soon, and I'm the only one with the time really to put something together.

I've started writing things up, I've had one session already with the DM. I had the players keep their characters a secret from each other, and send me their backstories. I'm having each player go on an adventure actually playing their backstory, getting up to about level 3 before they finally meet one another in a story arc. That way they'll have some experiences to talk about, get a better sense of their characters, and feel invested before the real campaign begins.

I hope it turns out!

cranberry

Adventurer
I DMed back in the 1E days, but I've been a player ever since.

However, now that WoTC unintentionally turned my attention to Pathfinder, I'm taking the lead in learning the system, and plan on being the GM for my group.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
That's the inspiration for me there as well. I've been in a campaign for the last 2 or 3 years and we're up to level 10. Our group has had so thoroughly enjoyed our sessions, our DM is also having a great time, but I know that he would love to just bring his character sheet and his dice and just play sometime. DMing is a lot of (rewarding) work, I appreciate the effort put in by our DM such that I feel honored to step up and allow him that chance. I don't see the others taking the reigns up anytime soon, and I'm the only one with the time really to put something together.

I've started writing things up, I've had one session already with the DM. I had the players keep their characters a secret from each other, and send me their backstories. I'm having each player go on an adventure actually playing their backstory, getting up to about level 3 before they finally meet one another in a story arc. That way they'll have some experiences to talk about, get a better sense of their characters, and feel invested before the real campaign begins.

I hope it turns out!
That level three thing is a new one on me. Sounds promising actually. The only issue for me would be the time required! But it seems like it could be a richer experience in some ways.

When they talk about their story it’s one they actually lived

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases