D&D 5E I think I want to mainly dm?

I'm switching to wanting to DM more than play. Reasons are as follows:

1. My kids (both young adult teens) want to play, but are significantly younger than my group (I'm one of the "babies" in the group). DMing gives me a chance to bond with my girls, which is increasingly more difficult as they age.
2. I don't particularly care for the design ethos of WotC in regards to D&D. I've tried to articulate it before in a few places, but don't think that I've quite identified what it is about it that I don't care for, other than that there's too much focus on rules and balance. Thus, I am interested in older D&D versions, D&D-adjacent systems like Castles & Crusades, or completely different games like Savage Worlds (SWADE). As my best friend and regular DM runs 5e, it falls to me to sell it by running a campaign (in development) if I want to experience these other systems.
3. I'm a writer. I have found that identifying too much with one particular character is detrimental to my writing. Focusing on a bigger picture is best.

aco175

Legend
My kids (both young adult teens) want to play, but are significantly younger than my group (I'm one of the "babies" in the group). DMing gives me a chance to bond with my girls, which is increasingly more difficult as they age.
I get to play with my son which has been rewarding. My daughter wants nothing to do with it, which I think stems from my wife getting to her over the Monty Python incident when we were dating 20 years ago. Although she does know, "Why a spoon, cousin."

I'm in 3 gaming groups. I GM in one, am a player in another and we share the GMing in the third (although it is currently my turn).

I enjoy having a mixture of roles.

smuckenfart

Villager
When they talk about their story it’s one they actually lived
That's the idea. When we started our campaign, to get to know our characters we basically read them out loud, we didn't have any experiences to relate so it felt contrived. I don't know you but this is who I am. Having the characters discuss their private adventures over the campfire gives depth to their getting to know each other and some great RP.

I'll have to see about the level that they come together, because time is a factor as you say. I have unlimited time so it's no problem for me, but everyone else has families/jobs to attend to. We'll see.

Remove ads