I want faster character creation. Also, I’m a monster.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I wasn't the one who said, "the ultimate point of character creation isn’t about character custimization but instead it’s about having a character you can play in game."

If it is just about having "a character," then why not just do it over and over again?

Make an absolute statement, and reap the rewards of pure logic. Leave yourself some wiggle room, and you can avoid such traps.

If you want to argue about illogical points I’m game. I never said it was the only point just the ultimate point. So how about an apology for putting words i never said in my mouth? You know the whole thing about “making an absolute statement and reaping the rewards”

Arilyn

Hero
Character creation is pretty quick in 5e. I find traits, bonds and flaws can really slow players down. In this case, they can be left blank and filled in during play as players get a better feel for their characters. If it's decision paralysis with choosing spells, equipment, etc. you could give players the opportunity to switch things around ONLY after playing ONE session with their new character. This gives them some leeway if they are agonizing over a feat of something. This idea, however, may not sit well at all tables.

And, of course, backup characters is the tried and true, especially in lethal games.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I don't know, I can whip up a character mechanically in about 15 minutes even if it's one I haven't messed around with much before like Monk. I'm not sure how you'd make character creation significantly quicker without removing the interesting stuff. Coming up with a background generally takes longer, but that's not a mechanical issue. Picking languages and tools (other than thieves tools) is campaign dependent and is really part of background, that can take a while but again it's not a mechanical issue. If you want to do weird multiclassing shenanigans and plot out what a character will look like levels 1-20 that takes longer, but that's not needed to build a character - plus multiclassing and feats are optional rules anyway.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes. The game is what happens at the table, after everyone meets in the tavern. Character creation is a chore.

I think this may not be a universally held opinion. To present as evidence, I and many others have fun just building characters. Be it to see how the come out mechanically, to see if they can realize a concept within the game system, just to explore some facet.

Heck, I still create the occasional Champions superhero even though I haven't played in half a dozen years and my Champions GM has passed away. Just for fun.

So I don't think that character creation as a chore is universally held. That doesn't mean that a game system can't try for simple character creation with less decision points to speed it up. But it means that's not the only way to go.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Several game systems have archetypes for quick character creation, as well as more in-depth character creation rules to cater to different player interests.

5e has something similar. Just use the defaults listed for every class in the PHB. All you have to do then is pick race, class and generate some ability scores.

Arilyn

Hero
I think this may not be a universally held opinion. To present as evidence, I and many others have fun just building characters. Be it to see how the come out mechanically, to see if they can realize a concept within the game system, just to explore some facet.

Heck, I still create the occasional Champions superhero even though I haven't played in half a dozen years and my Champions GM has passed away. Just for fun.

So I don't think that character creation as a chore is universally held. That doesn't mean that a game system can't try for simple character creation with less decision points to speed it up. But it means that's not the only way to go.

I make characters for fun too. It is my favourite part of PF. Finding the perfect combination of feats and skills and abilities, not for min/maxing, but to have the mechanics of the game match my vision as closely as possible. Other times, to start with no idea, but to just start creating, and see what I end up with.

Super fast character creation leaves me feeling disconnected from my character. A game that has options for both is best, as it can can cater to differing tastes and moods.

Remove ads