• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want my actions to matter

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You can personally view it that way if you like, but equally valid is the idea that you are just an expert at everything physical, which is what I think is RAI. I person can in fact be an expert at multiple things, so there's no good reason to think that athletics can't produce someone who is an expert at all things physical.

Now, personally I think that expertise would be required to make a PC an expert in a skill, but even so that would still mean that someone with expertise in athletics is an expert climber, swimmer and jumper.
Yes, and RAI is, IMO, rather silly here, having little basis in how people learn.

mamba

Legend
Or if they had just made a skill system independent of how many PCs there happen to be. Why is that even a consideration?
because you do not want a group to suck at 80% of stuff, based on how many skills each player gets and how many skills there are overall

pemerton

Legend
Or if they had just made a skill system independent of how many PCs there happen to be. Why is that even a consideration?
Because they're designing a game, with at least one-and-a-half eyes focused on the game play.

Yes, and RAI is, IMO, rather silly here, having little basis in how people learn.
Many versions of D&D bundle expertise in archery and expertise in melee fighting together.

The DEX stat bundles speed (of movement), speed (of reflexes), deftness etc together, so that someone who is good at (say) cartwheels is also good at (say) parlour magic.

The WIS stat means that those who are intuitive in their thinking are also good at spotting ninjas. The INT stat, in 5e D&D, merges Sherlock Holmes and Marie Curie.

Again, this is all with an eye to game play. If, as a GM, you want a NPC who can climb well but is at risk of drowning if they fall from a boat, then you can just write that NPC up that way.

Micah Sweet

because you do not want a group to suck at 80% of stuff, based on how many skills each player gets and how many skills there are overall
80% is a little hyperbolic I think, as is your definition of "sucking", but if it's a problem, just let people be trained in more skills. I have additional skills in my game, and that's what I do.

Micah Sweet

Because they're designing a game, with at least one-and-a-half eyes focused on the game play.

Many versions of D&D bundle expertise in archery and expertise in melee fighting together.

The DEX stat bundles speed (of movement), speed (of reflexes), deftness etc together, so that someone who is good at (say) cartwheels is also good at (say) parlour magic.

The WIS stat means that those who are intuitive in their thinking are also good at spotting ninjas. The INT stat, in 5e D&D, merges Sherlock Holmes and Marie Curie.

Again, this is all with an eye to game play. If, as a GM, you want a NPC who can climb well but is at risk of drowning if they fall from a boat, then you can just write that NPC up that way.
Too much simplification for me, and too much of an eye on game play.

mamba

Legend
80% is a little hyperbolic I think, as is your definition of "sucking", but if it's a problem, just let people be trained in more skills. I have additional skills in my game, and that's what I do.
So more skills, and more skill points, that works. Not sure I prefer 100 'tiny' skills over 25 'big' skills however, I tend to prefer a less granular scope for skills.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads