I want smaller, leaner core books.

Reynard

Legend
I know most people love big giant hardbacks, but I really want to see the return of small, lean core rulebooks. There is no RPG that you could not present in a complete fashion in 64 pages with the right clarity of writing and layout. RPG core books are instruction manuals. They are technical writing. They can and should be much less prose dense and be much more utilitarian in design. Shove all those extra words in the supplements.

Adventures should be a mix of the two. One part should be an interesting read, laying out all the back story and interesting circumstances and NPCs and locations. And then there should be a strictly utilitarian portion designed for the sole purpose of supporting the GM in running the adventure.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

ragr

Explorer
I agree to a point that a core book should be as lean as possible; totally onboard with that. But.....

I don't want expansions either. I want everything that I'm going to need to run the game in that first book. Don't be giving me a dogpile of new rules and additional abilities - if they were that cool, they'd be core. If they ain't, kick them out the door.

Expand the world a little? Sure. Develop some cool scenarios that are flexible and pc engaging and enabling? Yup. Rules? No.

I appreciate I may be in the minority here.

My preference is for shorter, more concise core books. When I see an RPG core book that's the size of a phonebook, that definitely makes me less likely to pick it up. That being said, don't underestimate the value of evocative text. If you look at stuff like the BECMI red box, it's filled with words and art that inspire and spark the imagination.

"There is no RPG that you could not present in a complete fashion in 64 pages with the right clarity of writing and layout. RPG core books are instruction manuals. They are technical writing. They can and should be much less prose dense and be much more utilitarian in design."

That caters to people who are already in the hobby with a certain level of expertise. It would have nearly zero chance of appealing to novices and new players.

And without them...well, you certainly wouldn't be burdened with any further products.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I know most people love big giant hardbacks, but I really want to see the return of small, lean core rulebooks. There is no RPG that you could not present in a complete fashion in 64 pages with the right clarity of writing and layout. RPG core books are instruction manuals. They are technical writing. They can and should be much less prose dense and be much more utilitarian in design. Shove all those extra words in the supplements.

Adventures should be a mix of the two. One part should be an interesting read, laying out all the back story and interesting circumstances and NPCs and locations. And then there should be a strictly utilitarian portion designed for the sole purpose of supporting the GM in running the adventure.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

So then you DON'T like a certain RPG with a 600+ page core rulebook that doesn't include the completely separate 200+ page game master guide?

Remove ads