• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want to hear your Time Travel adventure stories

MaxKaladin

First Post
Once in 2e Forgotten Realms, I started a campaign at the time of the fall of Netheril. The PCs decided to go hunt down treasure in the ruins of the fallen cities (literally, for those who don't know the Realms, the Netherese flew around in flying cities and the Fall of Nether was literally the fall of Netheril when magic went temporarily haywire). While there, they managed to get themselves caught in a trap set by a Netherese wizard to catch thieves. It was a time stasis trap that was intended to keep them in magical stasis until he showed up to deal with them. The problem was that the wizard was dead at this point. You can see the obvious complication there...

They finally emerged from stasis during the Time of Troubles (when, among other things, magic went haywire for a time again). They made their way home only to find that about 2000 years had passed, the world was drastically different and their homeland was dominated by evil. What's worse is that people actually remembered them -- or thought they did. It seemed some of their early deeds got blown way out of proportion and they were looked upon as heroes of the stature of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. The resistance, of course, was overjoyed to see them and expected them to fix things right up. Unfortunatly, they were maybe 5th level at the time and just couldn't live up to their reputations....

I figured it would solve a lot of problems for me to use a one way trip forward in time if I was going to use time travel.

JohnClark

First Post
I played in a game where we travelled to the past to stop a guy from casting the spell that Karsus had cast, causing the fall of Netheril. We though this guy was going to do it and change the past, so we killed him and told Karsus to do what he was going to do. It turns out that this guy had cast the spell originally, so when we went back to our time the Netherese controlled everything. It was a very interesting couple of sessions.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I just finished a Mutants and Masterminds game with a time travel twist.

The PC's were the world's first superhumans, along with a few others, but they were not alone for long. The physics experiment that gave them (and the others it touched - roughtly 1 out of every 40,000 exposed to the effect get super powers, though about 10-15% of those gain powers that kill them) powers put them into very brief contact with the first few fematoseconds of the Big Bang, before physical law stabilized, even on a quantum level. So they can suddenly do all the physics-defying acts from the comics. The fire blaster is actually creating energy, moving heat to hotter areas rather than the other way around; the strong guy can pick up a car by it's bumper and not have everything just rip apart in his hands, etc.

They quickly for an actual team and deal with the first major impact of the wavefront on a major city: Detroit. They note that some people that gain powers simply go crazy, and they decide after some debate that they must be the people that contain such people. They also oppose the husband of one of the PC's, who gained incredible mind control and telepathic powers in the Event.

What they do not know is the the telepath - who has been a complete bastard to his wife for most of their marriage (she doesn't leave because of the pre-nup she stupidly signed when she was way younger; if she leaves, she leaves with the clothes on her back and nothing else) - saw himself through another's eyes for the very first time when he gained his telepathic powers. And it changed him.

The PC's basically live through Timeline B. Timeline A is where they did not band together and most eventually were as bad or worse than the people they later fought. It led to a terrible backlash from the normal people of Earth and resulted in World War III.

Trevor, the husband, sees this happen and realizes he must stop it if he can. One of the few things that has actually be posited about time travel is that thought could go back and forth in time. So he 'downloads' his personality, memories and powers to his much younger self 15 years before in an attempt to change the past.

He meets and marries Melissa, tricks her into signing the document, and proceeds to be a much worse bastard to her than he ever was before since he can now know exactly which mental buttons of hers to push. She grows to hate and despise him. This pushed her into having friends apart from the high society they move in, which brings her into contact with ... the other PC's. She constantly tells them what a bastard her husband is, creating a bond with them and simultaneously setting up Trevor as a joint enemy in their minds. This creates another bond. They attempt (in the pre-powers portion of the game) to help her in a couple ways.

The Event happens and they all gain their abilities. Now, instead of striking out on their own, they band together. Trevor reveals his 'new' powers and they decide he's a great danger to them all. They also deal with the villains made insane by the effect. Well, not by the effect. Trevor is actually the one driving them insane, so that the group bonds through both combat and in having a known foe to band against.

At the time when they finally kill Trevor, they have four separate teams of paranormals moving along the wavefront to keep civil order, maintain the infrastructure, save lives and averty disasters. In the last episode they keept Mount Rainer from blowing up and setting off a world-destroying chain reaction all around the Ring of Fire. They actually don costumes for the first time and are well-respected by the government and the populace. Humanity now has a group of protectors rather than a group of exploiters (which in pre-game discussions seemed the vastly more likely route they would go) that would lead the world into one last war.

All because one man sacrificed his own life and changed the past.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
The PCs didn't time travel. But I did have a bad guy from the future whose goal was to start a huge war. The idea was that his birth would never have happened without the war so he attempted to make sure the war happened (never mind the deaths of tens of thousands).

Lordnightshade

First Post
If any of my players happen across this thread they should not read any further…
Timetravel is something that is the very basis of my current campaign and I am still trying to deal with the particulars of it, and I am hoping that I will be able to pull this off well.
I posted a thread on the Rat Bastards Club public forum about this, have a look:

http://65.18.220.64/aquerra.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=1767#1767

I would love to hear as many ideas as possible, and perhaps some of you interested in using time travel in your games will get some ideas as well…

I also posted a thread in the Rat Bastards Club on HOW EXACTLY time travel would work here:

http://65.18.220.64/aquerra.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=46

Since the most powerful epic level spell I could find in the Epic Level handbook only allows you to travel back in time a round or two I figured the magic required to travel back in time thousands of years must be immense.
Copied from the thread in the RBC:
So I have been trying to hammer out exactly how time travel works in my world. In researching time travel in the real world I usually see it linked to Einstein’s theory of Special Relativity. Special Relativity talks about how time slows down as you approach the speed of light. So then, to travel back in time all you have to do is find a way to travel faster than the speed of light. Once you reach and then surpass the speed of light Special Relativity would lead us to believe that the following events would occur. In order to travel faster than the speed of light, we would at some point have to travel at exactly the speed of light. For example, we can not travel 51 miles/hour without having traveled 50 miles/hour at some point, of course, this is providing that we were traveling 50 miles/hour or less to begin with. Now Special Relativity tells us that at the speed of light, time stops, our length contracts to nothing, and our resistance to acceleration becomes infinite requiring infinite energy (as observed by a frame of reference that is not in motion with the system). These conditions do not sound very conducive to life. Thus, I conclude that time travel into the past, using the concepts of Special Relativity, has some severe issues to overcome.

Could these issues be overcome by magic? Somehow would magic be able to manipulate the resistance to acceleration? What about our length contracting to nothing? Reminds me of that book a Wrinkle in Time, I seem to remember a whole bunch of stuff about the 2nd dimension and such…

Should I even approach this issue from a scientific angle?

In the game I'm playing right now, we're living in a severely different version of the DM's homebrew world, which we had been playing in, all because we went back in time and convinced two sides of a small battle to stop fighting. Now the humans and Orcs are allied against the Elves, and one of the players' old PCs (who stayed behind in the past to try to change things for the better) now has a statue erected to her.

It's a relatively complicated world, so it's hard for me to go into detail, but it's a really fun concept.

JDJarvis

First Post
I had a camapign where folks were in three different widely seperated time periods in thier campaign world. they were so far apart from each other chnages heroes made in one age weren't too likely to surface in a later age and travel between the ages (which wwas darned rare but happened a couple times) didn't screwup the whole campaign because no one really had enough specific information about an earlier age to screw things up. It'd be like showing up in Atlantis and trying to warn everyone it is going to sink but not knowing when it was going to happen.
I founs it lot easier to explain the backstory behind event't and have it mean somethign to the players becasue they'd actually been through it or experienced part of it.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I had a time travel plotline a while ago. Let's see if I can remember it properly. This was a homebrew world that used the default Grayhawk dieties from the PHB.

Sorry, this is kind of long. Probably longer than it needs to be, but I don't like to leave out details.

About 1000 years ago, there was a war that tore the Empire apart. The "bad guys" were led by somebody who wore the Eye of Vecna, and he wanted above all else to take over the Empire so he could have the resources to locate the Hand (ok, I know Vecna plots have been overdone, but work with me here).

Anyway, the war ends, the good guys win, butthe Empire is in shambles, and there's a nasty Eye of Vecna lying around. So the good guys build up a group of Heroes and send them off across the Western Ocean with the Eye on a quest to find a way to destroy or neutralize it.

And so the 7 heroes set off, led by a righteous Paladin.

Back on the mainland, these heroes were never heard from again.

Jump forward 1000 years.

The PCs have heard odd rumblings about a mysterious island that has suddenly appeared in the Western Ocean. Then they meet a medusa sorceress - who's had her eyes gouged out as punishment for attacking a temple of Hieroneous. She is desperate to see again, and convinced that the only thing that can reverse the curse of Hieroneous is the Eye of Vecna. The party, unable to defeat her in combat, agrees to find her the Eye. Of course, they're lying so that they can escape alive. But they correctly put together a couple clues I've dropped and assume that the mysterious island has something to do with the Eye.

They do a bit of research and find out about the 7 heroes and their quest 1000 years ago. They decide that they must have failed the quest. They decide that they are the ones who should go try to complete the quest, before somebody bad, like the Medusa, actually gets the Eye and uses it for evil.

So off they go on a ocean voyage that takes a session or two to complete. The details of the journey are not important.

So they arrive at the island, and the Druid does a quick scout in bird-form. It's basically a tall, extinct volcano, a few jungles, and a single small city on the coast. It's really a very small island. The people in the city are speaking some sort of archaic form of Common that the Druid can't understand.

So they dock at the port and cast a few Tongues spells and talk to the locals. Apparently, according to them, a few weeks ago a group of 7 adventurers arrived and spoke with the town elder. The elder was convinced that these 7 people matched the ancient prophecy stating that they should be given the Time Jewel, for the good of mankind. The Time Jewel is, apparently, a powerful artifact with powers to manipulate time. Without further ado, the 7 people (matching the description of the heroes from 1000 years ago) set off for the extinct volcano.

(You see where this is heading yet? :D)

They ask a few questions about the volcano. Apparently, several hundred years ago (according to the locals), a powerful Lich named Vecna lived in a complex there, feeding on the powerful "Magic Node" that surfaces there. When he ascended to godhood, he left the place abandoned. Any magical item or effect within range of the Node is intensified exponentially.

The party correctly assumes that the Heroes intended to use this Node, in conjunction with the Time Jewel, to neutralize the Eye of Vecna in some way. But what went wrong? The city dwellers remember the heroes arriving mere weeks ago.

And there are further complications, just becuase I'm an aspiring Rat Bastard that way.

Shortly after the heroes should have arrived at the abandoned Vecna-complex, everybody in the town started aging rapidly. At the rate of one YEAR every other day. Remember, it's been weeks now, and everybody has aged 15 years during that time. The town guard is seriously weakened by this, the elderly have all died from old age, and things generally suck. (this effect is caused by the poorly managed time travel that threw these people 1000 years into the future. Their bodies are aging rapidly to catch up.)

That's not the only complication.

Right after the aging started, the city started to get raided at night. First by a handful of undead, each killing one person and hauling away their body. Then then next night, the stolen bodies were animated and following the same program. Kill one person, steal the body. This is leading to exponential undead-population growth. The undead are of a type never seen before (JuJu Zombie template) and the city dwellers have had no luck trying to kill them (damage reduction).

The PCs correctly assume that the heroes were zombified, and started the chain of exponential zombification. They now have multiple reasons to go to the extinct volcano and investigate the complex.

They travel up to the entrance (inside the volcano rim) and reason (correctly) that if they wait for the zombies to come out at night, there will be fewer monsters for them to deal with inside.

Once inside, they find some of the more nefarious puzzles I've ever concocted. Plus they're on a time limit - they have to finish before the zombies come back - so they can't rest. Eventually, they win their way through to the final chamber where the magic of the Node is at full force. They defeat the JuJu zombie incarnations of the Heroes, and find the weeks-old body of the righteous paladin who led them (not zombified).

They find the journal of one of the Heroes. It describes, in horrifying detail, how the Quest progressed. The paladin was immune to the corruption of the Eye, but the other Heroes were not. Slowly, it drove them mad. They belived the paladin was going to use the Time Jewel and Eye in some sort of evil ritual, and concocted a plan to ruin the ritual so that it wouldn't come to pass. When they did so, the power of Vecna's old altar (upon which they were foolishly conducting the ritual) was activated, and the whole lot of them were zombified. Except the paladin, who is apparently immune to that kind of thing.

This disruption also released the power of the Time Jewel in a horrible way, amplified by the power of the Node. The entire island was then thrust forward in time 1000 years. The original plan of the ritual was, according to the journal, to seal the Eye away in a "pocket" of time where it would never be accessable to the world again. The amplification of the Node would make this pocket permenant.

The Eye is still clutched in a death-grip in the dead paladin's hand.

The PCs figure out what they need to do to complete the ritual.

*poof!* the Eye and Jewel vanish, sealed away forever.

*poof!* the room around them shimmers and ages.

The PCs find themselves surrounded by people. Civilians of some sort.

A man approaches them and proclaims the prophecy has been fulfilled, the thousand year banishment is at an end.

It becomes clear to the PCs that when they sealed away the Jewel, the island and its occupants were sent back in time 1000 years, and to them time has progressed normally since then. The PCs, not being part of the time accident, stayed put. To the PCs, the island has just aged 1000 years in an instant while they stood still. They are legandary heroes to the islanders, who saved their ancesters from certain death 1000 years ago.

Meanwhile, for those 1000 years, the island has been sealed off in an impenitrable mist that is apparently the universes' way of preventing paradox. Nobody could get in, nobody could get out, until the "loop" of time worked out its kinks. I.e., the present time was reached.

This mist cut the island off from weather systems, currents, etc... The island is now a sandy desert occupied by a colony of blue dragons. The villagers have taken refuge inside - and lived for centuries within - Vecna's complex. Their prophecies say that 1000 years after saving their lives, the heroes will appear again, just as they were 1000 years ago, and save them from the dragons.

And that's pretty much the end of the time travel stuff. The players congratulated me on a tricky way to get them on an island surrounded by dragons and having to find a way out. It WAS pretty sneaky, if I do say so myself.

Belen

Adventurer
I ran a time travel story arc in my last campaign.

The Mua'vadin (heroes) of the kingdom of Rhyden (6th level) had just finished their tour of service for the king. One of their friends, a local arms dealer, threw a party in their honor. All of the heroes attended the party except one, who had taken a special assignment outside the kingdom. Towards the end of the evening, the King arrives with dire news. The Acharenne Empire had assaulted Rhyden troops outside the city walls. The troops, who had been led by their friend, had been conducting the Elven princess to Rhyden to marry the human heir of the kingdom. (NOTE: Rhyden was a part of the Empire, but was secretly preparing to rebel. The prinncess was key in that decision.)

The heroes raced to get ahead of the Acharenne force before they could leave the province and foil the chances of the rebellion. The heroes successfully ambushed the mounted force and destroyed them. They rescued the princess, but found their companion dead, his head upon a pike.

They had little time for grief as they had to get to a set of standing stones before Imperial wizards found them. The stones were part of an ancient travel network that could get them back to Rhyden in moments. As the wizard started to cast the ritual in the stones, the Imperial mages attacked, causing an overload that threw them 30 years into the past and on the other side of the continent.

They arrived on the shores of the island nation of Anduin, close to its fabled library. They soon discovered their plight and that the island nation would soon be going to war against the dread pirate and his fleet. It was written that heroes from Rhyden would help defend the island. The mua-vadin suspected that those older heroes were not corrupt due to personal relationships that they had with them in the future. (According to history, those heroes embarked on a ship to chase the pirates after their defeat and only three members of that fabled party returned, years after their disappearance...changed...)

One of those who had disappeared in the past was the father of the Bard Alyna, a current member of the Mua'vadin! She had never known him!

At the library, they met the younger versions of the people they had known. These people were completely different and wholly good. Alyna met her father, yet could not bear to reveal the truth.

The mua'vadin decided to help defend Anduin along side the old heroes. They took two ships to chase down the pirates, but were separated in a freak storm. The mua'vadin arrived at the secret hideaway of the pirates alone. They defeated pirate leader and freed the prisoners, including a young man who eventually became a powerful cleric and friend to them in the future, although blind in the past, never seeing the heroes who saved him.

In the course of their investigations, they learned that the pirate had been tortured into insanity and that he had secretly been controlled in order to forment trouble and destabilize Anduin. The poor man had hideous scars, both physical and mental.

In the end, they had to give up their search for the old heroes, although they had found information that those heroes had been targeted by the dark forces that had taken the pirate.

They jouneyed to the lair of the great wyrm Kharista, who showed them a way to get home, although they had to best several tribes of Ogres to do it!

Eventually, they returned home, 6 months after they vanished, to find that they had started a war between Rhyden and the Acharenne Empire, with the Elven kingdom supporting Rhyden!

Whew....and that is not even half the detail of what happened....

Driddle

First Post
Lordnightshade said:
... Since the most powerful epic level spell I could find in the Epic Level handbook only allows you to travel back in time a round or two I figured the magic required to travel back in time thousands of years must be immense.

Sorta depends on what you need as a GM, really.

You could imagine that there's a *force* of some sort that you have to fight through all the way back in time -- a viscous fluid sort of concept that requires more and more energy as you 'swim' along your way. In that case, yes, you need mega-watts to get the job done for even a week at a time.

On the other hand, it might be a matter of a thin *barrier* that you have to penetrate just far enough to slip into an emptier, gentler time-neutral zone. Once you're in that temporal stasis, you can move around easily until you pick the spot you want to exit again. In that case, it's merely a matter of exerting enough energy to break the initial barrier, and then being accurate with the spell's tracking criteria. Might not be a matter of "power," per se, but spell accuracy and elaboration.

Last edited:

Remove ads