i want to homebrew a character for my character, if possible.

AvariaDemon

First Post
okay, i have a character and i have an idea for a class to fit the character just right. but i need to home brew it for it to work. the person i would normally turn to is offline atm so i need help elsewhere and some thoughts and ideas would be great.

heres the class idea: an arcane dancer. basically like a bard but using music and dancing to help her powers.

i suppose i should explain a bit about the character to help understand what im going for.

you see the character is basically a magical experimentation, she is living, but she's been infused with magic. this has its own side effects. having powers that she does the problem is she cannot learn any form of magic, her powers are her's and she is limited to what the infused magic can do. that said she has sound based powers mainly (i think that would be thunder right?) most of her powers come from her hands, the palms. she also has the ability to make music magically her body glows and the music sort of plays from it.

generally from what i can think it should probably be LIKE a bard, but the ability scores should be different. her DEX should be more important then for normal bards. im still thinking CHA main but probably DEX side.

i think she should be a leader/controler probably leader first controler second.

one of her focuses should be an aura (the music she plays) probably making it like the skald's aura if not just streight copying it. i kinda wanted a more original way for her to heal people but i dont know how to go about that. so if that dosnt work just slap the skald's aura on her and that would work fine.

most of her passive abilities should revolve around modifying the aura (song)

pretty much all of her attack abilities should be thunder based (sound based)

i actually like the idea of pushing targets and maneuvering around the battle field and would like to incorporate that. like the staggering note i think is a good at will for her. just as a point.

i kinda wana think about incorporating something special. like taking the staggering note, one of the things she should be able to do is actually basically leap around the battle feild. now i was certain that, that would be an acrobatics check (though it might be athletics in which case that would be lame) but basically lets say she decides to jump over someone, and lets say for the sake of argument, that during this jump she staggering notes a target below her. i kinda thought it would be interesting to say that what would happen would be that it would prone the target and push her upwards (making her land a few more feet away then she would have originally) its just a thought.

i really hope this is an appropriate thing to bring up here. if its not i apologize and you can go ahead and lock the thread ^_^;

Mengu

First Post
Bard|Monk, with Skald training to swap out Majestic Word for Skald Aura, Thunderfist Ki Focus. Done. No home brewing necessary. Monk powers are perfect for dancing around the battlefield, and you've got thunder emanating from your hands. Everything is reskinnable.

On Puget Sound

First Post
Mengu answered while I was building it, but that was my thought as well; here is my version. I built her using the Satyr mechanics, but obviously she's not a satyr. The racial power seemed right, though, and I wanted dex-cha bonus to make up for the total lack of synergy between the attributes of these two classes.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Arcane Dancer, level 5
Satyr, Monk/Bard
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Hybrid Bard Option: Hybrid Bard Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Unarmed Combatant
Athlete (+2 to Acrobatics)
Theme: Sarifal Feywarden

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 18, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 18

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 15, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 15

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Ref: 18 Will: 17
HP: 46 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Athletics +8, Diplomacy +11, Stealth +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +2, Bluff +7, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +5, Heal +3, History +2, Insight +3, Intimidate +7, Nature +7, Perception +3, Religion +2, Streetwise +7, Thievery +9

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sarifal Feywarden Utility: Sarifal's Blessing
Satyr Utility: Lure of Enchantment
Monk Feature: Centered Flurry of Blows
Bard Feature: Majestic Word
Bard Attack 1: Staggering Note
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Monk Attack 1: Rising Storm
Bard Attack 1: Echoing Roar
Monk Utility 2: Grasp the Wind
Bard Attack 3: Echoing Weapon
Monk Attack 5: Thunderbolt Surge

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mark of Storm
Level 4: Internalize the Basic Kata

ITEMS
Spirit Fetch
Monk unarmed strike x1
Thunderfist Ki Focus +1 x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Badge of the Berserker +1 x1
Surefoot Boots x1
Adventurer's Kit
====== End ======

Mengu

First Post
Instead of Centered Breath, Desert Wind will be more inline with the Dex/Cha stats. And you continue to dance around the flurry targets with a shift. Satyr does seem to fit.

AvariaDemon

First Post
hey awesome response guys, tyvm.

though i was kinda hoping to make a arcane dancer XD this works too great idea.

i tend to stay away from the hybrid class mainly because hybrids usually get a WORSE version of what the class would have had. so had i not checked before posting this i would have assumed that the skald's aura would have been turned into a daily which would have sucked hard... but thankfully it does not.

back onto topic im going to throw som points out there:

my character is a kabold, regardless of how well that works that's just how it is. so the question comes down to this, dex or cha? im leaning twords CHA cause im tending to grab more of the bard powers. though im sure optimize wise, a satyr would work better my character is a kobold.

okay starting with the top

for background i choose "nibenay - gifted dancer" the result is the same just different wording.

for theme... wtf is the thing you chose? i dont see it on there XD must be a satyr thing <,<. theme was definatly my biggest problem, duknow what to choose wile still staying true to the character.

i do like the hybrid talent, but i think im going to end up taking it for the unarmored defense instead of the unarmed combatant. makes sense for her anyway she really dose not wear armor. and im pretty much going to stick to implement attacks so i don't need the unarmed attack

on a side note my character is level 2 atm so i will have to take some of these notes for future notice rather then right now.

alright, at this point MY final ability score is:
STR 10 CON 14 DEX 16 INT 8 WIS 12 CHA 18

i decided to add to the wis just for an extra point of damage to the no action ability i get. it will probably be used more then a +1 to STR

ignoring the powers i cannot yet get, i did change a few things here and there. i think you forgot to put in the lvl 1 encounter ability and i changed the daily to one that effects the aura cause i really like that one. its called disruptive word. being able to make all the enemys in the aura basically take a -2 to defense seems pretty good to me though i could be wrong.

question, with monk abilities, if i have an encounter or a daily of theirs and use the move action lets say, can i also use the standard as well?

another question, lets say i want to leap over an enemy to get behind them is that athletics or acrobatics?

okay i finished making it i changed a few things but other then that it should work out, i honestly cannot wait till i get more feats. supprisingly i have a very good idea as to what feats im going to be getting. though i might grab a superior implement training to get an accurate implement

she's using a wand atm, im going to say she's "not actually using a wand" but for paper she's using a wand

Mengu

First Post
my character is a kabold, regardless of how well that works that's just how it is. so the question comes down to this, dex or cha? im leaning twords CHA cause im tending to grab more of the bard powers. though im sure optimize wise, a satyr would work better my character is a kobold.

Dex primary would be better, as it affects your AC and initiative. But I'd just ask DM to see if you can get the racial boosts to Dex/Cha and make them even. It's not like that's a stretch for a kobold, and it's not like you're playing a super optimized character.

for theme... wtf is the thing you chose? i dont see it on there XD must be a satyr thing <,<. theme was definatly my biggest problem, duknow what to choose wile still staying true to the character.

Sarifal Feywarden requires that you be of fey origin. Kobold does not qualify. Just find a different theme you like.

i decided to add to the wis just for an extra point of damage to the no action ability i get. it will probably be used more then a +1 to STR

As I mentioned in my other post, use Desert Wind instead of Centered Breath. CB has a bug where it doesn't allow it for hybrid, but it's perfectly legal, you'll just have to jot it down. Uses charisma for the damage, and lets you shift. Much more effective for your Dex/Cha build.

question, with monk abilities, if i have an encounter or a daily of theirs and use the move action lets say, can i also use the standard as well?

Yes, as long as you obey the one movement technique per turn rule (unless you action point). You must use the movement technique associated with the encounter power you are using (for instance you can't use an at-will attack, followed by an encounter power movement technique). (And a note, daily's don't have movement techniques).

another question, lets say i want to leap over an enemy to get behind them is that athletics or acrobatics?

There are no hard and fast rules for this, unless you pick a power like Sudden Leap. But many DM's will allow you to do cool stuff as long as you can justify it, make a check, and take the consequences (like provoking opportunity attacks). As you level up, you'll find monks have a lot of tools for such tricks.

she's using a wand atm, im going to say she's "not actually using a wand" but for paper she's using a wand

Ask your DM to see if you can just have the Thunderfist Ki Focus, it is integral to your character concept.

bganon

Explorer
The bard/monk approach sounds very good, but just to suggest another way of doing it:

I might go straight cunning bard, homebrewing all instances of "Int" in the bard powers to "Dex" instead. Since Dex and Int both boost AC/Ref you don't really have to do any other customization. Just build Cha/Dex, maybe mixing in some skald stuff (I think there are feats for that), and refluff all those bard implement powers into dance moves.

AvariaDemon

First Post
Dex primary would be better, as it affects your AC and initiative. But I'd just ask DM to see if you can get the racial boosts to Dex/Cha and make them even. It's not like that's a stretch for a kobold, and it's not like you're playing a super optimized character.

mmmm i think im actually going to put both dex and CHA up to 17 (cha to 15 +2) so by level 4 ill have a 18 dex and cha. im going to ask the dm if he's cool with my kobold having dex/cha as its boosts. if that happens im just going to rais both to 16 and work with that

Sarifal Feywarden requires that you be of fey origin. Kobold does not qualify. Just find a different theme you like.

ugh, i dont like any of their themes, the closest that fits is "escaped slave" but technically not only has she really not escaped yet she dosnt want to >.< @_@ <,<

As I mentioned in my other post, use Desert Wind instead of Centered Breath. CB has a bug where it doesn't allow it for hybrid, but it's perfectly legal, you'll just have to jot it down. Uses charisma for the damage, and lets you shift. Much more effective for your Dex/Cha build.

mmmmm thought the ability score would make my damage out put much more amazing i think im just going to stick to the CB one. i just like being able to push targets.

Ask your DM to see if you can just have the Thunderfist Ki Focus, it is integral to your character concept.

i have to dissagree, she's not going to be making many if any melee attacks, i think the only thing that counts that i will use is the CB at will ability everything else is AOE or ranged. im not saying its not useful. but honestly unless it did something to improve my other thunder based moves i dont think it that worth it.

Mengu

First Post
mmmmm thought the ability score would make my damage out put much more amazing i think im just going to stick to the CB one. i just like being able to push targets.

i have to dissagree, she's not going to be making many if any melee attacks, i think the only thing that counts that i will use is the CB at will ability everything else is AOE or ranged. im not saying its not useful. but honestly unless it did something to improve my other thunder based moves i dont think it that worth it.

These comments make me think perhaps monk is not the right hybrid fit for you, if you are adverse to making melee or close attacks. You'd be wasting an entire half a class, not to mention a striker feature. Bard|Sorcerer is another combination you might consider for being completely arcane, with all implement powers, and still making use of good dexterity. Something like Storm Walk, and selecting powers like Spark Form lets you look a little bit like dancing, but not as much as the Monk hybrid would. Or as bganon suggested, a straight up ranged implement bard may be more up your alley, though you'd be making your allies dance more than you yourself dancing.

AvariaDemon

First Post
These comments make me think perhaps monk is not the right hybrid fit for you, if you are adverse to making melee or close attacks. You'd be wasting an entire half a class, not to mention a striker feature. Bard|Sorcerer is another combination you might consider for being completely arcane, with all implement powers, and still making use of good dexterity. Something like Storm Walk, and selecting powers like Spark Form lets you look a little bit like dancing, but not as much as the Monk hybrid would. Or as bganon suggested, a straight up ranged implement bard may be more up your alley, though you'd be making your allies dance more than you yourself dancing.

okay, i kinda want her to be both ranged and close ranged at the same time. the monk bard hybrid is perfect. what im saying is that particular ki focus isnt the way to go for me and theres a couple reasons why.

for starters i really like the expertise assosiated with bardic implaments that increases bard pushes by 1, it increases my on hit by 1 (up to 3) and, if nothing else, makes my stagering note push 3 squares. if i was using a ki focus i would have to take the ki expertise which adds 1 damage to attacks vs bloddied enemies.

second off i looked at the item and like i said i dont really care. its not a make or break item i could probably take most any one of the implaments there and the extra ability would still be okay. if it was a MUST HAVE then yeah i would be excited, but as is its pretty much meh.

and lastly, im pretty sure our DM does not know about it, i would have to specifically request it. now again if i really wanted it i would be on that like nothing else. but as is, its not necessary.

and when i say melee i mean weapon... sorry if thats confusing ^_^;

Remove ads