I welcome our new robot overlords

Zardnaar

Legend
You say the DOG is the star, eh?

Yeah that clip is the Cat. He's tough as guts. Dogs a wimp. Major the other dog is the tough one.

The cartoon is usually from Dogs PoV.

Part one.

It's a social satire, ideal of a bygone world from an 80s PoV.

MarkB

Legend
It's funny how new technologies can be introduced into an industry such as farming that automate tasks such as sowing, harvesting, irrigation etc. and make it less labour intensive, and nobody cares aside from the poor folks who are out of a job. But give that automation a quadruped layout and life-like locomotion, and suddenly it's an omen of mechanical doom.

Misguided pattern-recognition cues, perhaps - ironically enough, exactly the same thing that might make sheep respond better to this mechanical shepherd than they would to one on wheels.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've been saying for years that the Rise of the Machines has already begun. But they're not sending Terminators to kill us one by one. Instead, they're deliberately jamming printers, slowing down Internet connections, losing files and generally causing annoyances that are slowly but surely killing us all through high blood pressure.
I think they are trying to get us all hooked on video games, and then virtual reality, and then we'll all retreat into that virtual reality, thereby voluntarily moving into a simulation. In particular as we die, instead of dying being the end, we'll just simply upload our consciousness into the "machine".

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It's funny how new technologies can be introduced into an industry such as farming that automate tasks such as sowing, harvesting, irrigation etc. and make it less labour intensive, and nobody cares aside from the poor folks who are out of a job. But give that automation a quadruped layout and life-like locomotion, and suddenly it's an omen of mechanical doom.

Misguided pattern-recognition cues, perhaps - ironically enough, exactly the same thing that might make sheep respond better to this mechanical shepherd than they would to one on wheels.
I think it may have something to do with most of those are stuck in one spot or at least inside a single facility. Many are worried about the use of flying drones also. So I think they look at it as these robots can come after us as opposed to the machines used in manufacturing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

I, for one, have been talking about the technological impacts on employment and society for at least 8 years now. It seems as if no job is safe, in the long run.

Dioltach

Legend
People have been worrying about machines taking their jobs for almost 300 years (fun fact: according to my family tree, I'm descended from John Kay, who invented the flying shuttle that started the whole thing). While in the short term this can be true, I think that society will simply evolve in new directions that create new jobs. Jobs exist now that couldn't have been imagined by the workers smashing machines in the 18th and 19th centuries. Machines doing the work of humans simply (in the long term) frees up society to add new dimensions and expand in new ways, leading to new productivity and new jobs.

Of course that doesn't help the sheepdogs, but I'm more of a cat person anyway.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
They still can't program or repair themselves. We'll have that on our side until they are able to do it. lol

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases