D&D 4E I wish we had Magic artists for 4e.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Deep Blue 9000 said:
I've always felt they should put one of the ex-MtG art directors in charge of D&D art. It has so much potential but generally poor execution.
No, please. The last art director was, especially during the first years, all about "smash-into-your-face-action" - well, he got better... - but now, he works for WoW TCG.

The current one, however, Jeremy Jarvis has already done illustrations for D&D and OGL products (for example the Iron Heroes covers)... he's really cool awesome.

Soel said:
There's actually a lot of crossover as far as Magic and D&D artists.
Sure, but art direction can make a huge difference. For example, the new PHB cover is as much product of WAR, as of the art direction - and I have to say, it doesn't highlight WAR's strengths - he's better with more busy pictures, as the Eberron covers. The static posing on the PHB doesn't highlight his strengths, at least IMHO.

Cheers, LT.

Dausuul

Legend
Lord Tirian said:
No, please. The last art director was, especially during the first years, all about "smash-into-your-face-action" - well, he got better... - but now, he works for WoW TCG.

The current one, however, Jeremy Jarvis has already done illustrations for D&D and OGL products (for example the Iron Heroes covers)... he's really cool awesome.

Wow, WotC just snapped up the Iron Heroes team lock, stock, and barrel, didn't they?

Not that I'm objecting. The Iron Heroes covers were solid. I'd take that style over "cheesecake wizard and toad with meat cleaver" any day.

Lord Tirian said:
Sure, but art direction can make a huge difference. For example, the new PHB cover is as much product of WAR, as of the art direction - and I have to say, it doesn't highlight WAR's strengths - he's better with more busy pictures, as the Eberron covers. The static posing on the PHB doesn't highlight his strengths, at least IMHO.

Or, for that matter, compare it with the "adventurers versus green dragon" picture we've seen bandied about so much.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I have no problem with the 4ed art we've seen so far (some of the stuff in W&M is amazing) but I'm forced to agree that the Magic art is superior. I guess it's just a matter of economics. The guys that do CCG art are way more famous (and doubtless expensive) than those renowned for doing D&D, but the return on their work must be that much greater.

hong

WotC's bitch
Dausuul said:
Wow, WotC just snapped up the Iron Heroes team lock, stock, and barrel, didn't they?

Not that I'm objecting. The Iron Heroes covers were solid. I'd take that style over "cheesecake wizard and toad with meat cleaver" any day.

Jeremy Jarvis has been doing art for WotC for a long time now. The interior artist for Iron Heroes was Kev Crossley, who AFAIK hasn't done any art for WotC.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
There is some astounding Magic art out there, and yes, I do wish they used some of those same people for the D&D illustrations.

(I have a magazine cover featuring one of the merfolk looking very much like that; I bought it purely for the cover art and I've used it in two campaigns not for 'evil' merfolk but for the default look for them).

Nymrohd

First Post
The Lorwyn-Shadowmoor block has amazing setting potential (though Ravnica would also rock as a setting). And the art definitely helps.

Doug McCrae

Legend
M:tG has some great art, I particularly like John Avon's lands. I would guess WotC are prepared to pay more for Magic art than D&D as visuals are a much stronger contributor to the success of a card game. The pictures take up half the cards. But the most expensive fantasy artists in the world wouldn't shift that many more PHBs. That said some artists, such as Ron Spencer, work for both product lines so I could easily be wrong.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I think the 4th edition art team has a lot of talent. The main question is whether they'll be asked to put that to good use, or if they'll be drawing characters in action hero poses all the time.

Using the Player's Handbook cover as an example, the characters are standing there in a pose like it's the cover of a comic book. Which isn't bad, per se, but isn't necessarily going to get someone unfamiliar with the game to check it out. A larger adventuring-style scene, like the cover of the 1st edition Player's Handbook or sketches such as "A Paladin in Hell" get people to look at the scene and go, "What the heck is going on here?" I think that style also embodies D&D a bit better, because no matter how cool your character looks, it's meaningless if there's not a bunch of bizarre adventuring stuff going on to keep you busy.

The 4th edition artists are definitely talented...I hope they get a chance to show off some really weird and memorable scenes for the covers of the new edition.

Canor Morum

First Post
A thousand times, yes!

It's too bad Wizards can't get the same level of quality art in D&D books. Wayne Reynolds' cutesy, flat, style is really getting old.

Check out some of the art from the upcoming Magic set, New Phyrexia.

Bf36f.jpg

JXjGZ.jpg

dTC0t.jpg

It's ironic they print this stuff on tiny windows a couple inches wide and the huge printed book cover pieces don't even compare.

Last edited:

Remove ads