Level Up (A5E) I wish we had some good substitute monsters!

Slit518

Adventurer
I am planning on playing a 3rd iteration of a dungeon I run -- Akrid's Dungeon -- and instead of D&D 5e, this time I plan on using Advanced 5e.

One of the main creatures I wish the party to encounter are the Mindflayer, however, they are not present in A5e. I assume this has to do with WotC licensing and it not being available on the SRD?

But, oddly enough, Demon's Souls the video game had a creature called the Mindflayer and it did exactly what a D&D Mindflayer would (mind blast, suck brains with tentacles, etc).

Is there some sort of substitute creature that can be made to replace these WotC only licensed creatures?

What are they?
  1. Mindflayer/Ithilid
  2. Beholder
  3. Umberhulk
  4. Purple worm
Just to name a few.

The purple worm is in A5E. It's on page 364 of the Monstrous Menagerie. That said the Khalkoi on page 292 are supposed to be mindflayer replacements. Not exactly the same, but fill the same niche.

Faolyn

(she/her)
You don't have to worry about the SRD for a home game. It's only if you publish something that you have to worry.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yup. A5E is designed so you can use your O5E material with it. So there’s no problem grabbing any monster firm any 5E book and simply using it.

Slit518

Adventurer
I know it was said to be compatible, but I didn't know if anything would be missing out by not having official A5E versions of it.

Also, when did the Purple Worm become SRD? Wasn't it not SRD in pervious editions? Just curious.

Double also, I may try the Khalkos if they're replacements.

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, when did the Purple Worm become SRD? Wasn't it not SRD in pervious editions? Just curious.
It's in the 5E SRD, the Pathfinder SRD, and the 3E SRD going back 20 years. It's been SRD for as long as SRDs have been a thing. I curious what made you think it wasn't? But anyway, yes, it's SRD and always has been. :)

Faolyn

(she/her)
I know it was said to be compatible, but I didn't know if anything would be missing out by not having official A5E versions of it.

Double also, I may try the Khalkos if they're replacements.

Thanks for the answers, everyone!
It;s always weird what isn't in the SRD. You'd expect ankhegs, rust monsters, and flumphs to be in there, since they're as much "D&D originals" as mind flayers and beholders are, but nope.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases