• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

5E [IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

GreenKarl

Villager
[IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

OOC Thread

AIME.WildA.jpg

Early Spring, in the Year 2946 of the Third Age
Five years ago, in the year 2941 of the Third Age in the reckoning of the Elves and the Men of the West, a fierce battle shock the roots of Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. In the aftermath of the death of Smaug the Dreadful; Orcs, Wild Wolves, Men, Dwarves and Elves clashed under a sky darkened by giant bats, their hatred fueled by ancient quarrels. Many deeds of renown were done that day, with many heroes prevailing while others fell, but in the end delivering a sweeping victory for the Free Peoples of the North.

A new alliance was born from the aftermath of that battle, now remembered as the Battle of Five Armies. In fact, if it hadn’t been for the threat of Bolg’s invading host, rallying the Free Peoples under a single banner, the long years of petty misunderstandings would have flared into open warfare. The spirits of Elves, Men and Dwarves were embittered and made miserable by the growing darkness of Mirkwood and the ever-present menace of the great Dragon of Erebor.

Each community had become suspicious of its neighbours and limited their dealings to meagre trades. When the din of battle subsided, the surviving Free Peoples looked upon each other with an open heart once again.

With the rising of the sun this morn, a pair of dusty wanders were making their way along a wide trail that ran the shores of Long Lake. The early morning sun reflected brightly off its waters and the ruins of Lake Town were just coming into view. Farther out the rib bones of the dreaded great dragon could be seen pocking out of the still water. A shiver, like a freezing wind blowing down from the north, ran down the pair spines as the sight for the dread of Erebor was not so easily dispensed, even in death!

The pair were just returning towards Dale after a short incursion to the edge of Mirkwood a few days past. As the approached a small rise another traveler appeared on the road ahead of them. Growing closer to each other the pair recognized the traveler as a elf, as the elf noticed the pair of humans.

The group hailed greetings to each other and as was custom in these lighter days of hope, stopped to introduce themselves to each other and mayhaps exchange any news.

GM: So you all met on the road. Please go ahead and introduce yourself to each other and describe what you look like. You can make up reasons for being out on the road. You are about a day’s walk from Dale itself.
 

eayres33

Villager
Tall for a human with a slim build, Ulfred smiled as he pushed back the hood of his dark traveling cloak exposing his leather corset below. His blue eyes peered over his sharp feature and a faint scar danced on his right chin as he called out to the elf approaching him and his companion. “Good day fellow traveler, I am Ulfred son of Ulfred and proud wandering citizen of Dale.”

Ulfred paused slowed to a stop as he waited for the stranger to draw closer, “Pardon our appearance,” Ulfred continued as he dusted off his hands, “we have been on the road for a little while, we are actually on our way back to Dale to freshen up, and see what has been happening in the world during our time on the road.”

Ulfred smiled again as he looked out at the elf, “What brings you out on the road on such a lovely day?”
 

Tesseract

Villager
Caranthir

The elf nods to the two men. "I have only been on the road a short time. I took a spill off my horse or at least I think that is what happened. I woke up in a gully. No horse and no companions in sight. I just began walking and recently came upon this road." He glances behind himself and then turns back. "Dale you say? Perhaps I should head that way as well. For there is safety in numbers."
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
The small brownhaired woman smiles at the elf timidly. She seems young at first glance, despite her compact muscular form, except for the haunted look in her eyes.

”They call me Ursa of the Bear,” she introduces herself softly but with a hint of pride.

”I live in the Vales,” she explains, indicating the home of the Beornings.

”Your companions must’ve been of an unreliable sort to leave you behind like that.” The words are both honest curiosity and guarded suspicion.
 

GreenKarl

Villager
As the trio conversed causally about the news of the region the morning's stillness was suddenly shattered by a shriek of pure fear. A young Daleman, no more then a dozen years of age burst from the treeline some hundred feet away crying out in anguish. He quickly noticed the three travelers on the road and waving his arms he started running towards them "Help! Please help! They are going to kill him! Please, please!!!"

GM: The lad is about 70ft away and the treeline is 100ft. It seems he has been running for at least a bit before you hear him as the the trees seemed to have muffled any noise he might have made just prior to bursting from the trees. The heroes can choose actions if they wish but no initiative yet
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Without thinking, Ursa rushes up to the lad. Like a mother bear, a powerful urge to protect this youngster comes over her, and belatedly she thinks to yell to Ulfred and the elf, ”Someone’s in trouble!”
 

GreenKarl

Villager
The travelers quickly reach the boy who stops, panting hard to point back the way he had emerged from the tree-line "Back there! They are going to kill him! My father!! His guards, they are going to kill him! Please help!"

GM: I am going to assume the heroes at lease move towards the tree line and beyond. Once there with everyone's Passive Perception they see and hear the following. They are about 60 feet further on into the forest


AIME.Intro.jpg

There are three roughly dressed Daleman threatening a fourth, far older man just within the trees along a secondary road that leads northwest towards Mirkwood...

"Here now old man" one of them growls while holding a long thin blade towards the old man's throat "We be a taking yer pack horses and that coin I knows ye be a carrying. Gives it up and ye might just lives to see that boy of yours again."

"No please" the old man muttered, "I trusted you... why are you doing this?"

These three rouges did not seem to be aware of the heroes coming behind them, laughing roughly at the old man's obvious distress. One of these was armed with a spear while the third man was armed with a heavy mace. All were wearing heavy leather hauberks with leather skull caps.

GM: Initiative please. You have Surprise on them this round but they are some distance from you. If you want to use a skill make that roll also. You can use the Dice Roller here on EN World or Coyote Code or whatever you would prefer. Just please post links in an OOC at the bottom of your posts!
Questions?
 

Tesseract

Villager
Caranthir

Caranthir rushes forward, fires his bow at the man with the spear and tries to hide.

[SBlock=OOC] "A Whisper Through the Leaves" gives him advantage on Stealth skill checks whenever in a forest. "Cunning Action" allows him to take a bonus action which will be Hide. For his actions they will be Dash, Attack with bow at spear guy, and Hide. Initiative: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12, Attack with bow at spear guy: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13, Damage with bow: 1D6+3 = [1]+3 = 4 and Stealth check with advantage to Hide: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15; 1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25; Sneak Attack Damage if applicable: 1D6 = [2] = 2.[/SBlock]
 
Last edited:

eayres33

Villager
It was darker in the forest and the air felt cooler as Ulfred decided on his best course of action. Best to use the element of surprise while they had it, he though as he drew his great bow. Biting his lip gently as he took aim Ulfred unleashed an arrow at the man holding the mace.




[sblock=OOC]
Ulfred will stay at the 60ft distance. With no shield/not using broadsword his AC is currently 14.
Initiative: 1D20+2 = [16]+2 = 18

Great Bow attack: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12

Bow Damage: 1D8+2 = [3]+2 = 5


Initiative: 2
AC 16/18 (leather corset and shield, when fighting with broadsword increases to 18)
HP: 20
Speed: 30
Broadsword +5 to hit 5ft 1d8+2 slashing
Greatbow +5 to hit 150/600ft 1d8+2 piercing
[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
”Stay close,” Ursa whispers to the lad as she places herself between him and the brigands. With both hands she grabs her great axe, ready to defend herself and the boy if needed.

”Oy,” she calls out to the rogues, Ulfred’s speech patterns affecting hers after travelling together for a while. ”If robbing old men is all ye can do, then ye might want to start running.”

OOC: Initiative: [roll0]
Intimidate check: [roll1]
Not sure if that Intimidate check counts as an Action. If not, I’m taking the Ready action to attack any hostile that comes close to Ursa or the boy.
 

GreenKarl

Villager
Ulfred’s bow is quickly in his hands as he shots a arrow into the shoulder armour of the mace wielding thug. The man grunted in both surprise and pain as it managed to partly penetrate through his armour. Almost at the same instant Caranthir darted forward and loosed a arrow into the thigh of the man carrying a mace and injured him slightly. Again the man’s armour seemed to absorb most of the arrows power while the elf disappeared into the brushes before the pair even had time to glance back at him. Then in a clear voice, Ursa challenged the men on their cowardice.

The three villains looked shocked at first but then the man with the sword bared his teeth and laughed, saying “Push off you lot, this her’ an’t none of yer business… Beorning” the last word almost spit out with an evil sneer. His two partners advanced about half way on the two heroes visible warily with their guard up and yet oblivious to the elf they past in the underbrush…

GM: Initiative
20 – Thugs
18 – Ulfred
12 – Caranthir
3 – Ursa

[sblock=Rolls and Results]Thug’s Initiative: 1D20 = [20] = 20, can’t do anything in the surprise round but go first next round…

Surprise Round
Ulfred hits thug #1 for 5 HP damage.
Caranthir hit thug #2 for 4 +2 surprise (6 HP total) damage (it was the surprise round so they were unaware so you get to add it). He this hides in the trees.
Ursa uses intimidate DC 12. They are going to get an additional -2 to their Will save as two of them have taken damage already; Will save: 1D20-3 = [19]-3 = 16, wow. They still made it.

Thug #3 does intimidate check; Intimidate : 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11, you would need a Intimidate or Will save DC 11 to attack Thug #3 next round or you are at disadvantage with that attack.
Thug 1 and 2 advanced 30ft and take the Dodge action this turn. They are at Disadvantage to attacking them. NOTE that Caranthir made his Stealth check so he cancels out the Advantage to attack them with this Disadvantage so it’s a Straight roll if he wants to attack either.
[/sblock]
[sblock=Thugs]Medium Human
STR 14 (+2), DEX 10 (+0), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 8 (-1)
Armour Class 12 (Hide armour)
Hit Points 24 (3d8+6)
Speed 30 ft
Skills Intimidation +1
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages any one language (usually Westron)
Special Traits
Coward
: When injured (1/2 HP), the thug suffers Disadvantage on all combat rolls.
Actions
Basic Weapon (sword, spear, mace)
: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target; Hit: 1d8+2 bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage.[/sblock]
[sblock=Conditions]
Ulfred 20/20
Caranthir 16/16
Ursa 28/28

Thug #1 19/24
Thug #2 18/24
Thug #3 24/24[/sblock]

Heroes Actions?
 

eayres33

Villager
Ulfred squinted as a bead of cold sweat threatened to enter his eye, the group was tough and they didn’t look to be backing down. He fired off a quick shot that flew wide of the man with the mace. Swearing under his breath Ulfred took a few steps back keeping his distance from the advancing men.

[sblock=ooc]
AC is currently 14. He steps back trying to stay 40 feet or so away from the advancing men.
Bow attack 1dis: 1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8

Bow attack 2dis: 1D20+5 = [14]+5 = 19

Will Save: 1D20+2 = [4]+2 = 6

Initiative: 2
AC 16/18 (leather corset and shield, when fighting with broadsword increases to 18)
HP: 20
Speed: 30
Broadsword +5 to hit 5ft 1d8+2 slashing
Greatbow +5 to hit 150/600ft 1d8+2 piercing [/sblock]
 
Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa’s eyes narrow as the brigand spat out the word Beorning. Feelings of fierce pride and insecure loneliness welled up in her, fighting for dominance. Both, however, urged her to strike down the fool for his offensiveness.

”Look away, boy,” she says quietly to the lad behind her, then moves forward quickly, her massive axe swinging up then down in a dangerous diagonal slash at the man.

OOC: Intimidate save (DC11): [roll0]
Attack Great Axe: [roll1]
If failing Intimidate save, disadvantage: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
 

GreenKarl

Villager
Ulfred moves back and lets loose another arrow but it missed. Caranthir also missed with his arrow fired against the other thug while Ursa raced forward and slashed her axe across the last man’s chest. His armour deflected part of the blow but it still caused a nasty looking red line to appear. The man grunted and took a hasty step back.

“Hey gets back her’ and helps me with dis girl lads! Dem archers an’t gona risk hittin’ one of der own!” the man scouted and then moved back ten or so feet to get closer to the old man. To Ursa he said “Ye can still walks away from dis her’ situation lassie. Wes’ don’t wants no trouble from yer kind.” It appeared he was going to try and threaten the old man next. The mace wielding troublemaker raced back and swung his weapon0 at Ursa landing a weak glancing blow while the one with a spear seemed to consider his options advance again with caution against Ulfred…

GM: Initiative
20 – Thugs
18 – Ulfred
12 – Caranthir
3 – Ursa

[sblock=Rolls and Results]Ulfred missed with his arrow.
Caranthir missed with his and remained hidden
Ursa hit and dealt 8 damage to Thug 3, bringing him down to 16HP

Then thug one moved back and attacked Ursa; Melee weapon attack, bludgeoning damage if it hits: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17
1D8+2 = [1]+2 = 3
, hit but minimum damage, bring her down to 25 HP
Thug 2 moved 30 ft towards Ulfred and took the Dodge action (disadvantage to attacking him)
Thug 3 took the Disengage action to move close to the old man. Normal AC this round[/sblock]
[sblock=Thugs]Medium Human
STR 14 (+2), DEX 10 (+0), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 8 (-1)
Armour Class 12 (Hide armour)
Hit Points 24 (3d8+6)
Speed 30 ft
Skills Intimidation +1
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages any one language (usually Westron)
Special Traits
Coward
: When injured (1/2 HP), the thug suffers Disadvantage on all combat rolls.
Actions
Basic Weapon (sword, spear, mace)
: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target; Hit: 1d8+2 bludgeoning, piercing or slashing damage.[/sblock]

[sblock=Conditions]
Ulfred 20/20
Caranthir 16/16
Ursa 25/28

Thug #1 19/24
Thug #2 18/24
Thug #3 16/24[/sblock]
 

eayres33

Villager
Ulfred spit as he saw the groups move and his lines of fire get cluttered, warrior to warrior it is he thought to himself as he quickly slung his bow and grabbed his shield and broadsword. “Don’t take any guff from these hooligans Ursa, we will see the true color of their bellies soon enough.”

OOC:
Ulfred uses his action to switch to sword and shield his AC is now up to 18.
He uses his bonus action to grant Ursa a Warden’s die a D6.
Once in the next 10 minutes they can add the number rolled to an ability check, attack roll or ST.
[sblock=Stats]
Initiative: 2
AC 16/18 (leather corset and shield, when fighting with broadsword increases to 18)
HP: 20
Speed: 30
Broadsword +5 to hit 5ft 1d8+2 slashing
Great bow +5 to hit 150/600ft 1d8+2 piercing
Warden's die remaining 1 of 2[/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
[IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

Bolstered by Ulfred, both his words and his readiness to join her in melee, Ursa feels a powerful fury rise inside her.

These witless thugs were nothing but petty flies before her, not nearly as scary as the orcs who had slaughtered her family - and who would eventually kill her, she knew somehow. These men were nothing, and she would reduce them to less than that.

With a fierce roar Ursa closes the distance to the taunting brigand and swings her greataxe in a powerful but reckless move. It pays off, and the girl grins as she feels the blade cut into the foul man, almost ending his life right there.

OOC: Enter Fury (bonus action, move to same target, attack with Reckless Attack. This gives Ursa advantage, but attacks on her likewise have advantage.

If needed I’ll use Ulfred’s Warden die to add to the attack roll; if so, in the next post. Edit: Not needed this round!

Attack (greataxe): [roll0]
Adv (Reckless Attack): [roll1]
Damage (including +2 from Fury): [roll2]
 
Last edited:

GreenKarl

Villager
Ulfred quickly sheathed his bow to ready his sword and shield, yelling encouragement to Ursa. Caranthir's arrow found its mark in the arm of one of the thugs causing him to cry in pain. Then with a terrible roar Ursa rushed forward to almost cut the arm of the rouge threatening the old man! The man dropped his sword and cried out in pain. The other ruffian swung his mace at her as she moved but missed.

This last attack proved to much for the men and they all fled from the group heading back down the road. The leader like pleading "No you wins! Wes' a goin'!"

As the flee, Ulfred now recognizes them as - Jonar, Kelmund and Finnar - three well known trouble makers from old Lake-Town, but he never heard of them killing anyone before.

As the fled the young lad cries out "Oh Da I was so afraid!" and runs into the old man's open arms. The older man also is crying and says "Its ok my dear Belgo, we are saved" Although the last is not said with much confidence as his eyes so fear at the furry of Ursa so close to the pair of them.

GM: Initiative
20 – Thugs
18 – Ulfred
12 – Caranthir
3 – Ursa[sblock=Rolls and Results]
Ulfred manipulated his weapons to stealth his bow and draw his sword and shield. He also aided Ursa.
Caranthir hit thug 1 for 5 damage bring him down to 14 HP
Ursa hit thug 3 for 15 damage bring him down to 1 HP. Thug 1 makes an Opportunity Attack; damage if it hits: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7
1D8+2 = [8]+2 = 10
, but misses!
NOTE that OA is before Ursa made her Reckless Attack so no advantage for him.

Thug 1 moves 30ft and his action to Move another 30ft.
Thug 2 moves 30ft and his action to Move another 30ft.
Thug 3 uses his Disengage action and then moves 30ft.[/sblock]
[sblock=Conditions]
Ulfred 20/20
Caranthir 16/16
Ursa 25/28

Thug #1 14/24
Thug #2 18/24
Thug #3 1/24[/sblock]
Heroes actions! You can pursue the trio if you want...
 

Advertisement

Top